corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Engineering day - hydraulic ram calculations

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engineering day - hydraulic ram calculations
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
20th Nov 14 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a ram 410mm closed, 700mm open.

Need it to lift a hatch from zero to 90 degrees.

What is the method to calculate the placement of the ram?
ed

20th Nov 14 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't you use Pythagoras Theorem for this? The strut shouldn't ever be perpendicular to the hatch for it to work - however, whenever I've done stuff like this I've cheated and used CAD
nibnob21
Premium Member

20th Nov 14 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking about it and initial thought Pythagoras too, but because the ram itself will pivot I don't think it's that simple.

MX5 Project Thread
Gary
Premium Member

20th Nov 14 at 19:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just fix it to the hatch and have a play
Robin
Premium Member

20th Nov 14 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How 'long' is the hatch?
RichR
Premium Member

20th Nov 14 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have RS still got the handy Ram/strut calculator on their website? Used to use it regularly for speccing struts for boat hatches. We always had multi positionable brackets top and bottom though to be sure.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Nov 14 at 00:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah going to use a bit of pythag but it gets more complicated because in order for the ram to be able to start the lift its going to need to be sat in a bit so its not hanging vertically down parallel to the hatch. Although even that distance isn't clear, do think larger is better so its not got such a big leverage but that also needs accomodating in the frame. Then need to know how high in the frame the whole assembly needs to sit. Hatch itself is massive so those rams may not even be up to the job, just what I had on the shelf. In fact based on my poor maths they'd be mounted 540mm from the hinge which still leaves loads of hatch unsupported. Not sure. On the phone just now I'll follow up the suggestions on a proper computer cheers.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Engineering day - hydraulic ram calculations 23 database queries in 0.0085139 seconds