corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Dilemma

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dilemma
fiestakidda

User status: Offline
10th Nov 14 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the wife has offered to purchase myself either a new laptop computer or an iMac desktop. Now i'm stuck in which to go for, which would be the best option to go for.

Would be used for some games (Football Manager and Civilization) other than that word processing, spreadsheets etc.

Question is which should I choose?
Balling
Premium Member

10th Nov 14 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't owned a desktop PC in 10 years and can't see myself getting another unless it was a dedicated gaming rig.

Can't beat the freedom you get from being able to bring your computer anywhere you go. I do a lot of web surfing from the couch or dinner table and always bring my laptop on holidays.

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

10th Nov 14 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its gaming and by gaming we mean proper gaming, not facebook games or whatever, then you can't really go wrong with a PC.
fiestakidda

10th Nov 14 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
If its gaming and by gaming we mean proper gaming, not facebook games or whatever, then you can't really go wrong with a PC.

The only games I play are civilization and Football manager, other than that its browsing and work
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Nov 14 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're tempted by an iMac, forget the entry-level £899 one; it's hobbled by a piddly 1.4ghz processor. Really, the cheapest iMac worth considering (the next one up) weighs in at £1,049.

If I were going to buy a new computer today, I'd be taking a serious look at a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - that's a full touchscreen laptop PC in tablet form and can even be a desktop replacement if you get the dock and an external monitor at a later date. As with the iMac, I'd ignore the entry-level one as it has an i3 processor - making the lowest cost of sensible entry to the world of Surface Pro 3 £849, but you do really need the keyboard attachment with is another £110:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/products/surface-pro-3?icid=Surface_Pro_3_devices_nav_22102014

£100 cashback via Quidco:
http://www.quidco.com/microsoft-store/?ac

Keyboard attachment (you do need this):

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/accessories/surface-pro-typecover

Dock:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/accessories/pro3-docking-station

I've got a first gen Surface Pro and it's brilliant - works with a wireless Xbox controller for games; I played South Park Stick of Truth all the way through in 1080P on one.

[Edited on 10-11-2014 by evilrob]
Balling
Premium Member

10th Nov 14 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob in recommending Surface Pro shocker!

Dom

10th Nov 14 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob, how's the new job at Microsoft going?

New Poll