corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Synology NAS - iTunes Server

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Synology NAS - iTunes Server
Pop

User status: Offline
18th Sep 14 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please be gentle as I'm new to NAS. Somehow they have passed me by and I'm now reading up as much as I can to understand them properly.

Basically, I'm looking for a network storage solution to hold our music and DVD/Blu-Ray collection and Synology seems to tick lots of the boxes. We have two Sony TV's that can cope with linking to the content; however, looking online people seem to grumble about it not being the easiest to navigate.

We have an Apple TV 2 and I was thinking of getting a second one, but version 3 for 1080p playback. Another reason for getting a second Apple TV is I plan to subscribe to the NHL channel this year.

Looking on Synology website you can setup an iTunes server, which I believe could be used to store both our music and video files - please correct me if I'm wrong.

In theory I could then select a movie on my iPhone and airplay it onto the TV via the Apple TV unit. Does that make sense? I think it has to be done that way as Apple TV doesn't allow proper home sharing.

Does that all make sense? It's obvious when you know for definite and bloody confusing when you don't

All help is much appreciated.
luciaadr

19th Sep 14 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're making life really hard for yourself sticking with the apple TV.

Airplay a bluray through you phone? No thanks

Invest in a more rounded media player (WDTV, xbmc) that can play content from network shares and then get whatever NAS you like, its just a network share.

Some people will go on about synology, but they are (imo) overpriced for what they are.
Rob_Quads

19th Sep 14 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even as an Apple Fan, AppleTV is not the thing to base it round UNLESS its a Gen2 which you could run XBMC or Plex on.

Pop

19th Sep 14 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Even as an Apple Fan, AppleTV is not the thing to base it round UNLESS its a Gen2 which you could run XBMC or Plex on.

I've got an Apple TV with XBMC so that's fine; however, I'm then limiting myself to 720p.

It doesn't have to be Apple TV that I use, but as I already have it I was looking at that option first.
Pop

19th Sep 14 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luciaadr
Airplay a bluray through you phone? No thanks

Invest in a more rounded media player (WDTV, xbmc) that can play content from network shares and then get whatever NAS you like, its just a network share.

Some people will go on about synology, but they are (imo) overpriced for what they are.

As Apple TV in standard form can't cope with proper home sharing it won't access the files. You just use your phone to choose the movie you want to watch and start it going. After that you can cancel it from the phone and control it with the normal Apple TV remote.

I'll have a look into WDTV as I've heard it mentioned before.

What alternative to Synology would you consider if you were me?
Dom

19th Sep 14 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
What alternative to Synology would you consider if you were me?

QNap is in the same ballpark as Synology, although i don't believe the interface is as refined.

Otherwise DLink, Seagate, WD, Buffalo, Netgear etc all do NAS boxes but the features (and hardware tbh) are all a bit pants among them.

New Poll