corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Overtaking

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Overtaking
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Sep 14 at 07:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Other day I was getting a bit impatient on a b Road, someone at the front of a line of traffic was doing <30 on a nsl Road.

Anyway got to a straight bit of road, markings indicated a legal place to overtake, so decided to try and get past, pulled out then sods law something coming the other way appeared.

It then became apparent that everyone was so bunched up there was no room for me to pull back in, I ended up having to indicate and force my way in front of someone causing them to brake, they obviously weren't pleased and started beeping. I just assumed it was my fault for a poor judgement and put my hand up to apologise.

Anyway iv just read something that said you're meant to leave enough gap with the car in front of you to allow anyone overtaking to pull back in. Any truth in this?

[Edited on 06-09-2014 by Steve]
alan-g-w

6th Sep 14 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You were in the wrong, this straight must have only been 100yds or something. If you can't complete the overtaking manoeuvre in the gap you can see without anyone coming the other way there wasn't enough room to overtake.

On a similar note, I was coming back from my mate's house at about 2am going the back roads. There was one of those shitty wee Renault Captors in front of me doing <40mph all the way on a NSL road about 3/4 mile long. We got to the end of the road, they pulled out and got up to 30mph (speed limit still 60) so I ripped past them then proceeded to whoor it down the road, calming down again when I got to 30 limits.

Went in, washed my face and brushed my teeth getting ready for bed then heard a biiiig knock at the door. Turns out I had overtaken a CID car and it was the police lol. They've tried to do me with careless but they admitted I was within the speed limit, admitted it was a safe place to pass and admitted I was in full control of the car at all times... can't see much coming of it tbh, my theory is they've just got a fright and ended up a bit pissed off. Quite funny though.

[Edited on 06-09-2014 by alan-g-w]
Ben G

6th Sep 14 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure, but I once overtook a silly old bint doing 30mph on an NSL country lane. It was a perfectly legit overtake on a straight road. About a minute later she came flying up behind me in her X5, flashing and beeping. I stopped in the road and she started saying I was speeding, put her life in danger etc

I told her that it was a 60mph road and she wouldn't believe it, then I also told her she must have spes through the 30mph part to catch me up, to which she told me to fuck off

A few weeks later I got a letter through the door from the police saying that the reg plate had been marked down and warned

Didn't even bother ringing them up because it was so ridiculous.

Most people think overtaking is illegal for some reason.
Ben G

6th Sep 14 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there you go, even police think overtaking is illegal judging by Alans story!
corsadonk
Premium Member

6th Sep 14 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All cars should be around 2 seconds apart, at 30 mph not a massive gap but enough room for a car. But you need to take that into account before you go for it. Some cunts might even close the gap to hold you out. My work van is very slow and pretty long so I often need to be able see for a long way before I can even think about overtaking anything more than a car.

I had it a while ago, a TT had a flat tyre so driving very slow around 20 mph, on the A4 a very wide road 5 car width, the stupid cow behind the TT didn't want to overtake, so I pulled out to get past and had pull in between the TT and slow Doris. She had a right barney at me, it wouldn't of been a problem if the cars infront kept the flow of traffic moving.
John

6th Sep 14 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The cars in front should be leaving a gap as part of normal driving but if you can't safely complete the full overtake you shouldn't attempt it.
Jed D

6th Sep 14 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont be impatient in future
Ben G

6th Sep 14 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D

it's people like you who cause massive tailbacks because you won't overtake.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Sep 14 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D

Thanks for the advice. Really worthwhile post that was.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

6th Sep 14 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you were at fault. but ive done similar before
andy1868

7th Sep 14 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might have missed it, but just how many cars were you trying to overtake?
Steve
Premium Member

7th Sep 14 at 07:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3 Inc the slow one
ed

7th Sep 14 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a good idea for people not overtaking on roads like that to leave a bit of a gap - you might be happy driving at 30mph behind a truck but people in superior cars might want to get in front. When people do this you can usually get past in a couple of hits, when they don't you're fucked.
andy1868

7th Sep 14 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

According to the gov.uk website of you're being overtaken then it's up to you to leave a gap for the car that's doing the overtaking. So they're in the wrong there.

At the same time, maybe you shouldn't have gone for an overtake , if you needed to filter back in the straight wasn't long enough. A car coming the other way should always be a factor when making the decision for going for an overtake whether it's there or not. Saying that, if the law states cars being overtaken should leave a gap then surely you can legally overtake one car at a time.

I'd say you were reet, but it still would have been you hitting a car head on, being in the right won't be any consolation when you're in a coma or worse

[Edited on 07-09-2014 by andy1868]
Steve
Premium Member

7th Sep 14 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually think some drivers would rather hang you out to dry and risk a fatal accident just so they can prove a point and say "he should have made sure he could complete the manoeuvre"

[Edited on 07-09-2014 by Steve]
andy1868

7th Sep 14 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They would, people are pricks
Ben G

7th Sep 14 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately that is the way of the world nowadays.

These people are so cut off from the real world in their steel machines that they don't realise what they're doing.

I'm guilty aswell.
Dave

7th Sep 14 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://youtu.be/IR6nKy-IafU
ed

8th Sep 14 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I actually think some drivers would rather hang you out to dry and risk a fatal accident just so they can prove a point and say "he should have made sure he could complete the manoeuvre"

[Edited on 07-09-2014 by Steve]

Then there's the people who suddenly speed up when you go to overtake them. Or the people who drive really fucking fast in a straight line, but can't get their Audi round a corner at a respectable speed so slow down to a halt at the sight of one.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Sep 14 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Then there's the people who suddenly speed up when you go to overtake them. Or the people who drive really fucking fast in a straight line, but can't get their Audi round a corner at a respectable speed so slow down to a halt at the sight of one.
Hate this
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Sep 14 at 13:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Soon as you pulled out you should have a plan B for getting back in.

If the gap isn't there and you can't guarantee its clear to do the whole lot then don't try.

My feeling without seeing the actual road is that three cars was probably a bit ambitious. You're supposed to know that you can stay out for the whole time before you try it, pulling back in isn't really an alternative to knowing its clear for as long as you need to be out.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

8th Sep 14 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Not leaving a gap probably means holding up traffic a bit, annoying but that's life. Seeing no gaps and not knowing that you can safely pass all three cars but still committing is the bigger issue.

The guy getting angry is ok, you made him brake so he beeped his horn and probably shared his thoughts on your driving abilities, fair enough, all relative.

If there had been a collision, you would have held at least partial blame, so at best you're losing your excess and you've got a fault claim on your record, at worst you're dead and then as far as you're concerned, it doesn't matter who was at fault, you lost.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Sep 14 at 15:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Member on here went to prison for stupid overtake.
Nic Barnes

8th Sep 14 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would you pull out into a queue of flowing traffic from a junction and just expect people to let you in? no.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Overtaking 22 database queries in 0.1084580 seconds