corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » This should be illegal

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author This should be illegal
Russ

User status: Offline
23rd Aug 14 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28902300

£6bn profit last year, hold a monopoly over the telecommunication network, sold off to some rich pro tories years ago and we are still paying the price.

Hope CMA investigate, as no doubt will have a knock on effect for every other non infrastructured(?) provider
John

23rd Aug 14 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate BT. They are one of the biggest bunch of con merchants going.

They've been in collusion with the government to be the only supplier for the shambles of a fibre rollout and all the different parts, which are now completely separate, still all operate under the BT banner, until they want to pass you elsewhere, in which case it's suddenly openreach, or local business or whatever.
Ben G

23rd Aug 14 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now sky and virgin will do the same yet again. Every bloody year it goes up.

Greedy cunts.

I don't even need a fucking landline. It will be extinct in a couple generations time.

[Edited on 23-08-2014 by Ben G]
Gavin
Premium Member

23rd Aug 14 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Ben said, BT will be gone in a few years time

Most of the kids nowadays text their mates, even SMS is fooked with FB Chat, Twitter and WhatApp being available. Then you have Skype and all that fancy stuff

Land lines will be something they teach in History classes in a few years time

Bye bye BT

pew pew pew pewwwww
John

23rd Aug 14 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not how it works.

Wireless technologies aren't good/cheap enough to replace cables.

BT own all (most of) the wired infrastructure.
Ben G

23rd Aug 14 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BT need to get with the times more though. I know they do all the fibre stuff around here because the fucking van seems to be constantly parked up, but surely old technology should become cheaper, not more expensive?
evilrob
Premium Member

23rd Aug 14 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
all the different parts, which are now completely separate, still all operate under the BT banner, until they want to pass you elsewhere, in which case it's suddenly openreach, or local business or whatever.

OpenReach are precisely why the likes of TalkTalk and Sky can operate as their existence allows fair and equal access to the exchanges and network. OpenReach is to telecoms what National Grid is to the UK's power infrastructure.

BT the consumer business are entirely beholden to OpenReach same as any other phone/broadband provider.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
hold a monopoly over the telecommunication network

No they don't. Any company is welcome to install its equipment in the telephone exchanges via a process known as Local Loop Unbundling (LLU). TalkTalk is probably the best-known of the LLU providers. Then you've got Virgin Media whose network is entirely separate from that of OpenReach.

If you haven't got the (considerable) capital required to buy and maintain multiplexing equipment you can start a phone company using Wholesale Line Rental (WLR) and Carrier Pre-Select (CPS), where OpenReach look after the connection from the customer's premises to the exchange but your customer's calls are routed off the OpenReach network without the need for your customers to dial a prefix or install any special equipment. You can buy minutes from various wholesale providers like Colt or Gamma and bill your customers what you like. I know this because I've done it - I project managed the startup of a residential phone and broadband company called YourCalls.net (since sold to PlusNet) - who were the first phone company in the UK to offer a fully online customer service experience (essentially the home phone equivalent of internet banking); the low overheads meant they could offer line rental and unlimited calls to all UK local and national geographic numbers for £9.99 a month - another UK first; it won the Federation of Communications Services Service Provider of the Year award (the Oscars of the Telecoms world, beating TalkTalk) in 2007. At the awards ceremony, I was sat two rows behind Sir Charles Dunstone (chairman of TalkTalk) and he overheard me calling him a cunt, which made my day.

Also featured in the Sunday Times Fast Track 100 and Tech Track 100 that same year (under the parent company OneBill Telecom). It cost £100,000 to set up, turned over £1.2m in its first year and sold for £8.9m a few years later.

The only real monopoly in telecoms in the UK is Kingston Communications in Hull - they own and operate all the telephone and broadband services in Hull (for reasons I can't be bothered to go into) and there's FA you can do about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
surely old technology should become cheaper, not more expensive?

The old copper bell wire infrastructure is deteriorating, and extremely expensive to maintain. Unlike fibre, which by and large once it's in, it's in - and you can keep on cramming more data down it; you're essentially only limited now by how quickly you can encode and decode packets of data into flashes of light at each end. They even break the light down into different colours of the spectrum to pump even more data through the network.

I know this because I work for a company that builds and maintains the fastest and most expansive global fibre IP backbone on the planet.

Don't get me wrong, BT are a bunch of cunts - just wanted to clear up the misinformation.

[Edited on 23-08-2014 by evilrob]
Jimbothebarbarian

23rd Aug 14 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So are you like a multi millionaire?
evilrob
Premium Member

23rd Aug 14 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
So are you like a multi millionaire?

Sadly not - I was paid the going rate for my services, not in equity.
Ben G

23rd Aug 14 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Evilrob, puts right the wrongs on the internet.
John

23rd Aug 14 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Telecoms companies are always dodgy.

All based on back handers and commission.

Traditional telecoms companies in general won't have long left. As soon as the whole country can get a decent broadband connection (they can't because BT have made sure that they've taken all the infrastructure money and barely provided a service) VOIP will be a real proposition and they'll all move on to being recruitment consultants or car salesmen.
evilrob
Premium Member

23rd Aug 14 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Evilrob, puts right the wrongs on the internet.

Just trying to focus the hate . You should hate BT Retail for providing a shit service and charging too much for it, not because you incorrectly believe they have a monopoly. You should hate OpenReach for doing a shitty job at rolling out fibre and not turning up to the appointment you waited in all day for - this is entirely due to incompetence and bad planning rather than any tin foil hat collusion or conspiracy.

John

23rd Aug 14 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BT/Openreach/Local Business/probably other bits I don't know about, use being 'BT' to their advantage to sell but when there is an issue, blame the others. They should be completely separate but they only are when it's to their own advantage.
Ben G

23rd Aug 14 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think you got the wrong person mate. No monopoly conspiracies here.
evilrob
Premium Member

23rd Aug 14 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Telecoms companies are always dodgy.

All based on back handers and commission.

The same is true of any other utility. If anything, Gas and Electric is worse when it comes to dodgy tactics.

I've been 'slammed' at least twice - this is where a rogue utility rep claims you've given consent to switch providers when you haven't. You don't know anything about it until you get a letter in the post welcoming you to Puppy Squeezer Power Ltd.
evilrob
Premium Member

23rd Aug 14 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Think you got the wrong person mate. No monopoly conspiracies here.

My apologies; genuinely wasn't aimed at you personally, replace 'you' with 'one'.

evilrob
Premium Member

23rd Aug 14 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
BT/Openreach/Local Business/probably other bits I don't know about, use being 'BT' to their advantage to sell but when there is an issue, blame the others. They should be completely separate but they only are when it's to their own advantage.

They are operated completely separately. There may well be wonky handshakes going on, but it's mostly just good old-fashioned corporate fuckwittery and (ironically) internal communications failures - left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Aug 14 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BT Local business is the worst fucking thing I think I have ever had to deal with, if I could be arsed to type up my trials and tribulations you would be shocked at what the fuckers did to us as a new paying business
John

23rd Aug 14 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't be shocked, deal with them all the time. Conversation with client always (without exception) starts with how BT have fucked everything up. I completely agree that they should know who they are dealing with but local business pray on that.
Andrew

23rd Aug 14 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think for the average home user, mobile broadband will be the future.

Satellite broadband is also becoming affordable.

BT have always been overpriced.
Russ

23rd Aug 14 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will invest heavily in those 2 services
Aaron

23rd Aug 14 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perhaps the only benefit to living close to Hull is that BT are nowhere to be seen. We have a telecoms company who own all the cables under the ground and provide landline and broadband services. No other companies have ever bothered to move in because Kingston Communications would just shaft them to the point where they couldn't make any profit.

Oh, and out rockin football team of course
Dom

23rd Aug 14 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
quote:
Originally posted by Russ
hold a monopoly over the telecommunication network

No they don't.

Was going to say there's nothing to stop any other ISP building it's own network, a la Virgin Media. It's only the fact that the government forced BT/Openreach to open up their ducts and exchanges that other A/VDSL ISP's operate

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I think for the average home user, mobile broadband will be the future.

Satellite broadband is also becoming affordable.

The mobile network would need a massive overhaul and upgrade for it handle anything near the scale of a typical ISP and you still have issues with latency.

Similarly, a satellite connection is really a last resort considering the limited bandwidth available and massive latencies involved.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

23rd Aug 14 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have bt infinity at home... It's shit. always looses connection and when it is connected it's really slow.
John

23rd Aug 14 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good old Andrew the IT expert.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » This should be illegal 23 database queries in 0.1655149 seconds