corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HD "Camcorder" Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HD "Camcorder" Help
Jambo

User status: Offline
28th Jul 14 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello all,

Know dick about these. I currently use my phone (iPhone5) to record some small video clips at various things I attend and have decided I would like to make some much better quality vids...

So a camcorder?

But question is, Go pro or hand held traditional style cam corder. I have no idea what is best and what to look for.

Obviously I understand the Go pro can be attached to a car/mount so is portable and quite strong. Might be applicable to me in the future but not now.

What do you guys have or recommend? Largely it will be for filming of cars, and need good sound.
Balling
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SLR with external mic if you don't need to record clips exceeding 30 mins.
Means you won't have to cary both a camera and a camcorder.

GoPro will not be ideal for stable video or low light situations.

Link to the type of results you're hoping to get might be a big help. Could be a high end compact camera will be sufficient.
I did a vacation video with a cheap Sony pocket cam and the results were quite good, without leading anyone to believe it was a pro job.

Jambo

28th Jul 14 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In short, I am wanting to capture quality sound and video in a decent enough resolution (needs to work in low light) I am not after making a TV programe or slick indie film. Clips would usually only be about 1-10mins long. 15 max.

SLR you say, are they comparable? Is it doen to the processor etc inside for the moving images? Else why would people buy camcorders or is it portability?

I don't need the still shots really, so after a more portable smaller option.
Jambo

28th Jul 14 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decent depth of field would be good.
Balling
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Decent depth of field would be good.
By decent, do you mean shallow? Ie. blurred background?
In that case SLR is pretty much your only option without spending big bucks.

And yes, digital cameras these days take good enough video that camcorders are pretty much a dying breed.
Even professionals use (expensive) SLR's as light sensitive optics are much cheaper to come by.

Sound will be your biggest issue I think and the one where I can give the least advice. You'll definitely need and external mic, which I think limits your options somewhat.
I think we (still might) have a few video experts on here, so hopefully one will drop by. If not, there's always Dom who is of course and expert on anything that runs on electricity.

Jambo

28th Jul 14 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The possibility of yeah, so shallow I guess.

Hmmm, SLR it could be then, the lens is obviously going to be better and I am guessing the CMOS is also larger/better? Didnt know there was such a thing as an external mic, will have a look into that.

Ok cool, yes Dom is essentially Tesla and Which? combined
Balling
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, 3.5mm mic input is common on a lot of cameras these days, given their video capabilities. Even a small, cheap external mic will be a lot better than what's built in to the camera - and less prone to pick up noise from button presses.

My brother in law has done some videos with a 550D and a 50mm f1.8 and the results are frankly quite impressive for the money he's spent (though he's an all out hipster, so the style is very "Pinterest ready").
You'll probably want a bit of zoom though, so you'll need to spend a little more on optics. Something 18-70mm f2.8 would probably be ideal, as hand held video dosn't do well with large zoom anyway.

Any idea on a budget?

Jambo

28th Jul 14 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hadn't specified one as of yet, all looks to becoming vastly more than I hoped it would have cost Such is the way!

Balling
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a second hand SLR? 1080p has been common for a few years now, so should be able to get something fairly cheap.

Then just start recording with the kit lens and built in mic and see how you get on.

Cavey

28th Jul 14 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a HD camcorder that I'd happily sell for not a great deal, only used it twice for my daughters birthday, then realised it wasn't really needed. Was thinking about ebaying it soon as need the cash anyway
Jambo

28th Jul 14 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Alex, ill take a look

Cavey, can you give me make and model?
Cavey

28th Jul 14 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was just checking it myself, Panasonic HC-V100, they're £60-70ish on eBay

Out of interest, and detrimental to my sale, I agree with Alex on what he says, but you'll be looking 250-300 for the SLR route.

I'm actually looking at upgrading my SLR body(Nikon D60) to one that'll do 1080p for Safari next year. (D5100 or so, but they're £300odd for Body alone)

[Edited on 28-07-2014 by Cavey]
Dom

28th Jul 14 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
If not, there's always Dom who is of course and expert on anything that runs on electricity.

Git

I concur with the Dane though; decent SLR + external condenser shotgun mic (+ a decent windsock) - Rode, Sennheiser, Audio Technica etc do a range of mics suitable for DSLR's, just make sure it's self-powered and has a 3.5mm jack; you can use XLR gear but you're going to need adaptors/beachtek's or an external recorder.
Jambo

30th Jul 14 at 06:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The advantage of the SLR route is it is a camera as well. Not meaning to state the obvious, but wanted one for years. Still have an EOS-300 (35mm) with a couple of lenses, recently binned my darkroom and fancied getting back into photography.

Looking at these two due to price effectively, is the Canon one going to be retro-compatible (with adapter) with my old lenses??

EOS 1100D

Or this Nikon example which has a higher MP rating, but obviously no backwards compatible lenses

Nikon D3200

Any thoughts on these? Leaning towards the Canon for lens and cost reasons, but the Nikon is tempting as that has a huge MP rating and probably a larger sensor?
Dom

30th Jul 14 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The D3200 is the better body, plus it has an external mic input unlike the 1100D/T3.
Could be wrong but the cheapest Canon bodies that have a mic input is the 100D or 60D.
Balling
Premium Member

30th Jul 14 at 07:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll be able to fit the old lenses to the Canon, but auto focus will not work.

Pretty sure you could get an adaptor for the Nikon as well.

I've had a 1000D for years now and it's a fantastic little camera. Fit a cheap 50mm f1.8 and you're set up for taking some incredible portrait shots with a proper shallow DOF.

My issue with the Nikon, and keep in mind I'm majorly biased towards Canon, is that it doesn't really benefit much from the resolution increase.
Edit> In terms of photos, that is.

There's also the option of going mirrorless. I believe there are some advantages, when it comes to video, in that the mirrorless systems have a faster/more accurate focus.

Jessops have a deal on a Sony A58 incl. 18-55mm + 50mm f1.8 at only £319, which sounds quite cheap to me.
Don't know much about that camera though, but it might be worth reading some reviews.

[Edited on 30-07-2014 by Balling]

Dom

30th Jul 14 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't a lot of the Sony's have LCD based viewfinders rather than optical? Was always under the impression that LCD viewfinders suffer from lag which could be hassle for taking action/quick-movement shots.

[Edited on 30-07-2014 by Dom]
Jambo

30th Jul 14 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have spoken to a mate who is involved in indie films and he also championed SLRs, however I am concerned with file formats and editing now...

I only use Windows Movie maker really and not a hot shot by any means, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot if I can't edit them?

Truth in this? The article I read didn't specify the format
Balling
Premium Member

30th Jul 14 at 08:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Don't a lot of the Sony's have LCD based viewfinders rather than optical? Was always under the impression that LCD viewfinders suffer from lag which could be hassle for taking action/quick-movement shots.
Wouldn't an optical viewfinder on a mirrorless camera be an impossibility?

Had an electronic viewfinder on a previous camera (PowerShot G10) and can't say I had much issue with it.
Certainly worth looking out for, though.

Balling
Premium Member

30th Jul 14 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
I have spoken to a mate who is involved in indie films and he also championed SLRs, however I am concerned with file formats and editing now...

I only use Windows Movie maker really and not a hot shot by any means, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot if I can't edit them?

Truth in this? The article I read didn't specify the format
There'll always be a way to convert the format, I wouldn't worry about that.

If the camera uses a weird format, the manufacturer will have software to convert it.

Jambo

30th Jul 14 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reading up on it the Nikon does seem better, but means I need to buy new lenses lol.

Will see if there's a better EOS with external mic available.
Cavey

30th Jul 14 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't want my camcorder then

Tbf, if i'm only getting £50 for it, i'll take it on holiday and use the 40x zoom for animal stuff. Let us know what you get Camera wise though Jambo, and how you get on with it.
Jambo

30th Jul 14 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not too sure yet Cavey, not decided what to get if anything. I think your price is fair, but might be useless to me jut as much as an slr might be a huge over spec. need to have a think

New Poll