corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 1974 Vauxhall Viva HC

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1974 Vauxhall Viva HC
Graeme
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th May 14 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought I would start a thread in here to keep progress. All cut and paste from another forum.

So last October I saw an advert for a viva hc that head been stored for a long time and needed a new home. Few people emailed but after they all messed him about he emailed me the other week to see if I was still interested.

Found out a few more details and took the trailer down this morning to Croydon. The garage had only been opened a number of times in the past 15 years. But the car had never been moved. I was very sceptical to the condition if it as the guy knows it was at least 15 years it had been in there. Upon opening the door was greeted by this.

Tyres were pumped up and it simply rolled out. Nothing binded on free rolled and was presently suprised to see it outside.

Did a bit more chatting with the guy and more checking over and all was sorted and we would take it so got about loading it.

Whilst up on the trailer was a good time to get a good look underneath. Solid. All the usual bad places it was mint condition.

Started the 2 hour journey home very pleased with what we had.

Spent the afternoon trying to get it running. Ripped out the poor wiring and aftermarket alarm that was causing issues and got it turning over until the starter seemed to pack up. Got spares to try over the weekend. Finished by giving it a wash. Leaving it at my brother which is is a posh area so made it a bit more respectable.

Few issues need sorting but plan is to get it running and through a mot within the 2 weeks to try and use it as my car to get me to my wedding.

Found out it's been in a few TV series from the late 80's as the guy is a cameraman. It's done 70k ish. Had a rebuilt engine before it was put away. Brand new webber carb on it. Overall very pleased and should a good little car to plod around in occasionally.
Graeme
Premium Member

17th May 14 at 22:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the deadline of my wedding was 2 weeks ago. Luckily it made it. Just!

Currently sitting in Vegas airport waiting for the plane back.

Got a few bits off my brothers HC to get this running. Had a big problem with the brakes where we had to fit new lines and flexis due to the rubber braking down and clogging up the lines.

Anyway got a nice MOT on a few days before. And gave it a polish at work quickly. Nothing spectacular but will do for now.

Also put out a pleay on the viva owners club for a grill. A guy said he had one and then said he would post it and charge me postage but the grill was free.

Couldn't get in contact with him for days and got a bit worried untill a grill turned up in my door step. The guy said I can have it for free as a wedding present. Was not expecting that.

Anyway some pics after I polished it and fitted the grill.

Decided we would take the wheels off my brothers to make it look a bit better. Has transformed it.

Morning of the wedding.

All looked good but didn't fancy running good. Wouldn't start. Was a bit nervous but found it's a bad earth draining the power. Borrowed a jump pack and kept that in the car.

Well it made it to the church and the. The nest day at the hotel venue was looking good. Think this is how it will stay for a while now.

taylorboosh

18th May 14 at 05:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great - infact colour is better than your other imo
djgritt
Premium Member

18th May 14 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely.

Will it be at Billing?
Graeme
Premium Member

18th May 14 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably. Only live about 2 miles from billing now. Also it's a good place to buy parts for old cars.
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th May 14 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good find. This may be of some interest to you:

http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-builds/138-1972-vauxhall-viva.html

MX5 Project Thread

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 1974 Vauxhall Viva HC 24 database queries in 0.0098491 seconds