corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » 'Motorsport' lenses...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 'Motorsport' lenses...
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Apr 14 at 14:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need a new lens which is longer than the 75-300mm one I currently have as it's too 'close' for motorsport pictures.

What does everyone recommend? I have a Canon EOS somethingorotherD and need the lens to have auto focus.

eBay seems to be riddles with converter kits which seem to just be an adaptor with 2x or 4x magnification, not sure if these are any good or not but I suppose it would work.

I imagine it doubles the light which comes in though so it makes your photos over exposed if your settings are wrong or it's a bright day?

Also, I need it by Saturday....
Scotty_B

1st Apr 14 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you not have a 'kit' lens 18-55?

I use a 70-300 on my Nikon and rarely need it wider than 70 and that's a Knockhill.
Robin
Premium Member

1st Apr 14 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not what I have issues with, it won't zoom in far enough!
andy1868

1st Apr 14 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't bother with a 2x or 4x magnification, if you just simply want to see the cars it'll be fine. If you want to retain any quality it won't. As for the exposure thing, i wouldn't worry as the camera works out how much light it has after it's passed through the lens.

How much are you looking at spending?

You've got the likes of long Canon zooms like the 100-400mm but you're looking at £12-1300 worth new. Sigma do some long lenses in the 50-500mm and the 150-500mm, i think they tend to get decent reviews but obviously won't be on a par with the Canon, but then again neither will the price.

Canon 100-400 second hand for £849, but don't know if that will still be long enough

http://www.ffordes.co.uk/product/14032816160031

Second hand Sigma 50-500 for Canon can be had for as little as £339 at MPB Photographic but it looked a little beaten up, a nicer one for £479 on there.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/search/50-500?simple-search=simple&search_flag=true&keyword=50-500+canon&used=on

Looking at Ffordes, looks like they used to do an older 170-500 too, but they're doing that for £289

http://www.ffordes.co.uk/product/14030714445231

Just so you know, i haven't used any of these lenses so can't comment first hand!

The other alternative is massive prime (not zoom) lenses but they're far from cheap.

[Edited on 01-04-2014 by andy1868]
Scotty_B

1st Apr 14 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
That's not what I have issues with, it won't zoom in far enough!

Mis-read the post, just seen the words too close.

Anyway http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sigma-150-500mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-lens-canon-fit/p1025305
andy1868

1st Apr 14 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a big thing to bear in mind with lenses that long is stabilisation, especially if the lights start going down. The lens that scotty has put there has OS (optical stabilisation), the Canon 100-400 has IS which is the same thing.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
1st Apr 14 at 23:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need more than 300mm.

Converter will make the pictures darker, not lighter. Normally has the effect of giving you a few stops of narrower aperture.

100-400 would be a good choice.

Everything else is mega money.

400 5.6 perhaps but not much cheaper and far less versatile.

Sigma 50-500 maybe.
Rob E

2nd Apr 14 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What size sensor has your camera got? Modern DSLR photos can be cropped a fair amount and still retain great detail.
Gaz

2nd Apr 14 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what tracks are you shooting at? I find it hard to believe that with a crop sensor + 300mm, you are struggling to zoom in enough. Is this simply not a case of choosing better points?
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rockingham, Silverstone, donington, Cadwell, wherever we go it's the same.

I've ordered from Ffordes now so will see how the 170-500 behaves
Rob E

3rd Apr 14 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just make sure you have a monopod. Sharp, handheld shots at 500mm are going to be quite hard, especially with a moving subject
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Apr 14 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, got one the other day Rob
corb

8th Apr 14 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing to bear in mind with the 100-400 is the positioning of the focus ring and the grip for the push/pull zoom. Hire / borrow one for 2 or 3 days of shooting first. I find it frustrating when zooming in/out I keep knocking the focus ring which is battling against the auto focus on servo mode. Ive mainly discovered this problem when shooting football and the players running towards/away as the play can move quite quick so have to change the zoom fairly rapid too.

Just thought it would be worth mentioning.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » 'Motorsport' lenses... 23 database queries in 0.0120411 seconds