corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Buy to Let (Let to Buy)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buy to Let (Let to Buy)
JM_16v

User status: Offline
17th Mar 14 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im currently in the process of pushing paperwork around for the purchase of my new house and letting out my existing flat.

Can anyone advise me a place to read up on the tax benefits of interest only on the buy to let and paying off the main property?
baza31

17th Mar 14 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's simple really . You pay tax on the income from the rental property less the interest rate and less other costs . Paying off your other place has nothing to do with it .
RichR
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll also have your tax code amended assuming you only currently have one income. Any repayments made (above the interest payments) are non-deductible against tax and bear in mind if you plan on selling it down the line, you're likely to stump 40% in Capital Gains unless you can prove that it is your primary residence.

Ensure you keep every receipt for everything that you spend on the place no matter how trivial - no point losing the tax code and not recouping it elsewhere.

I would consider keeping receipts for your new place for any work that is done - obviously you shouldn't put these in against the flat's expenses though.....
AndyKent

17th Mar 14 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought mortgage payments (and interest) were not tax deductible?

So rental income minus service charge, spending on the property such as repairs etc would reduce liability, but interest could not be used
RichR
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 11:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interest is afaik but then I leave it in the hands of the accountant.

According to the below, interest is deductible

http://moneyfacts.co.uk/guides/buy-to-let/tax-on-buy-to-let-property-and-income290312/
RichR
Premium Member

17th Mar 14 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

However, you can minimise the tax you have to pay by deducting certain "allowable expenses" from your taxable rental income. Allowable expenses include:
•Interest on buy-to-let mortgage payments (it's only the interest, not any capital you repay that's tax deductable)
•Maintenance costs (repairs and upkeep, but not property improvements such as building an extension)
•Letting agency fees
•Buildings and contents insurance premiums
•Council Tax (where it is you, and not the tenant, who pays it)
•Utility bills (again, where it is you who pays the bill!)
luciaadr

17th Mar 14 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said, interest on the mortgage is tax deductible.

If you are looking to overpay on one mortgage (out of your BTL, and residential borrowings), its often better to overpay the resi one. Keeping the BTL borrowings high reduces your tax bill. Need to do the sums based on the respective interest rates and tax rates though.

You can also claim 45p per mile for trips to/from the BTL property, and DIY stores etc (as long as you were only going for BTL things)

Be careful re mortgage arrangement fees, these are capital, so cannot be used to offset your income tax liability, but can be used to reduce capital gains tax on eventual sale. That said, most people stick them through their tax return anyway, but imo they're asking for trouble.

John

17th Mar 14 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you still get interest only mortgages that easily?
luciaadr

17th Mar 14 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On a BTL, yes
JM_16v

17th Mar 14 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers luciaadr

"If you are looking to overpay on one mortgage (out of your BTL, and residential borrowings), its often better to overpay the resi one. Keeping the BTL borrowings high reduces your tax bill. Need to do the sums based on the respective interest rates and tax rates though."

cleared it in my head.

New Poll