corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » anyone know if im able to obtain a cat D engineers report for a repaired car

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author anyone know if im able to obtain a cat D engineers report for a repaired car
birchieboy

User status: Offline
11th Jan 14 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HI,
Looking at buying a 2009 A3 Sline Black edition which is fully loaded and ticks every box! the right wheels, right engine, right colour and interior spec!
Its listed on a garage website as a CAT D.
Obviously this could range from a dented door to a front ender.
Is there any way of getting hold of a engineers report or insurance report of the damage?

The car is a good few grand off the book price so if the damage was small then a purchase would be made.

Any help would be appreciated
Graeme
Premium Member

11th Jan 14 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it still damaged of has it been repaired?

Have you asked the seller if they have any pics of what the damage was?

Or a estimate from a bodyshop?
birchieboy

11th Jan 14 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It has already been repaired and is on sale on a garage forecourt. I haven't asked the seller yet as I wanted to find out if there was a online report or anythig else i could do first as I expect the seller to bend the truth as he wants to sell the car
AndyCorsaSport

11th Jan 14 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope. Only way you could maybe find out is if you knew who it was insure by or what garage it went to when first damaged. But either way they probly wouldn't be arsed to tell you.

When was it Cat D? More recent? Or when it was fairly new?

My corsas a Cat C and I took pics all way through repair, always have, was only bolt on parts but shows if I ever come to sell it that it was light damaged. Even though won't really be worth much anyway. I'd ask them, maybe they might have pics if they repaired it.
birchieboy

11th Jan 14 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'll ask them tomorrow when they are open. Hopefully they are honest and even better have some photos
Corsa_Sport21

11th Jan 14 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could you not go and look over the car and see if you can spot anything which would suggest where the damage was??

If you can't see anything that stands out, that to me would suggest its had a good to excellent repair which is all that matters as at the end of the day, its still a cat d.
AndyCorsaSport

11th Jan 14 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take John with you. Or just show him the advert. He can spot repairs from a mile away so will tell you where the damage was.

Cat C/D doesn't bother me tbh, thing is you could have a £20k car that has a heavy front end bump that costs £10k to fix through insurance and wouldn't go down on a hpi etc. So you wouldn't know.

Like the missus grandmas car, when she bought it someone hit it on way back from picking it up, it had a heavy front end, was jigged, new engine mounts, suspension etc. if someone come to buy it the car is hpi clear.
birchieboy

13th Jan 14 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turns out is has had a front ender, the garage that are selling it said that they don't have any pictures of a report as another garage fixed it..... Half of their stock are Cat D's would suggests they are the ones that buy and repair to sell.
Either way ill be looking at other cars now, I can see some gremlins in this car a few years down the line
taylorboosh

13th Jan 14 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You also wouldn't have to declare its a cat d when you sell it
Corsa_Sport21

13th Jan 14 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
You also wouldn't have to declare its a cat d when you sell it

Unless a potential buyer asks.
taylorboosh

13th Jan 14 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I mean in the add
fred7

13th Jan 14 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isnt cat d minor damage anyway non structural?
Ste
Premium Member

14th Jan 14 at 06:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can mean anything tbh, I've had cars on a cat c with a dent in the wing that pulled out by hand.

It goes off cost of repair/value as opposed to damage.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
AndyCorsaSport

14th Jan 14 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Ste said. Depends on car mileage condition value etc.

Take this for example,

I bought my Corsa last year, 54 plate SRi with 78k as Cat C. Needed bonnet, bumper, rads front beam and front panel. ALL bolt on parts.

Guy at work bought an 05 plate Corsa Design as Cat D. Needed front bumper, bonnet, headlights, front beam, front panel, subframe, suspension, engine mount, engine out and went on jig to have chassis pulled straight and a new chassis leg fit.

Hell of a lot more damage than mine, yet mines down as the worse category. It's a fiddle half of it.
Ste
Premium Member

14th Jan 14 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see this all changing if/when they give the paying insurer the job of repairing the car. Far less cars will be written off and prices for repairs will drop as there will be more competition in the market. Not massively, but it will happen

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
DaveyLC

16th Jan 14 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fred7
Isnt cat d minor damage anyway non structural?

It depends on the value of the car..

A £250k car would have to be smashed to fuck to end up CAT D where as a 15 year old Corsa could end up CAT D because of a scuffed bumper.

Whats important when buying a CAT C/D car is to look at when the accident occurred and work out the value of the car at that time

That will give you a rough idea of how bad the damage 'could' have been.

[Edited on 16-01-2014 by DaveyLC]
taylorboosh

16th Jan 14 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This was the real taylorbooshes

This is the cost

This is it now

Without a category at all..

System is bullshit
AndyCorsaSport

16th Jan 14 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shows damaged rear. Shows after of front

Although I did see when you posted pics of it repaired. He shouldn't of been shown the cost really. We never show customers.
taylorboosh

16th Jan 14 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol im mates with where it was done... Cracking job actually
taylorboosh

16th Jan 14 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

deano87

16th Jan 14 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

System is shit. Much like that Corss D my B was mullered but no Cat written off.
DaveyLC

17th Jan 14 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That 60 plate Corsa is hardly touched..

You want to see some brand new cars on CAT D .. That will open your eyes!
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jan 14 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Late to the party.

That 2009 A3 I'd probably steer clear of, cat D on that age means what - £10k of damage?

I'm all for ignoring it on cheaper stuff but to do it to a car at a few years old takes a bit more.
Ben G

17th Jan 14 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The accident I had recently in the other halfs focus cost more than 6k to repair. Mental really. A lot of that was labour.
DaveyLC

17th Jan 14 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It can be worth buying stuff like that if you can source the parts and labour cheaply (or do it your self).. My Bro-inlaw had a 3 month old Passat CC with 1200 miles on the clock a couple of years back, it was CAT D, every panel & light other than the roof, passenger side quarter and rear-door was damaged.. But it was £8k to buy!

Insurance estimations are normally based on doing the job twice because they give you a 5 year guarantee on the work..

[Edited on 17-01-2014 by DaveyLC]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » anyone know if im able to obtain a cat D engineers report for a repaired car 23 database queries in 0.1023390 seconds