corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Headlight Restoration

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Headlight Restoration
Doug

User status: Offline
13th Dec 13 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

What are the best methods for restoring headlight plastics? I normally give them a quick rub of Autosol but they soon go cloudy again.

Best kit to buy or fluid to use?
BeetleGav

13th Dec 13 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a headlight restoration kit, if it's bad go for one where you sand them back.
Then id use clear laminex to protect them from doing it again, also helps against stone chips
ed

13th Dec 13 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rich H polished mine up to try to get them match (one was replaced in an accident before I bought the car). Think it says what he used in here on the rears at least: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311543
Graeme
Premium Member

13th Dec 13 at 23:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how bad they are. I wet flat and polish a lot but the problem is that you have to take off the lacquer and that gives the protection after.

To give the best results I take lights out, sand them down with a long process and then use a specific uv resistant lacquer. Like brand new.
Mertin

14th Dec 13 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres a few guides online, usually involving a few grades of wet and dry and then using a machine polisher to bring it back
Halfords sells a meguiars kit that has a drill attachment for those that dont have access to machine.
Also seen videos of toothpaste being used, unsure how effective it is
Jed D

14th Dec 13 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
Theres a few guides online, usually involving a few grades of wet and dry and then using a machine polisher to bring it back

^this, seen it done with excellent results
3CorsaMeal

14th Dec 13 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wet sanded some with 800grit. Then 1200. Then 1500. Then machine polished and they came out like new.
Ben G

14th Dec 13 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Toothpaste doesn't work. Tried that already.

Only one of mine needs doing. The other is perfect.

Sanding and machine polishing seems the best option.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

14th Dec 13 at 16:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 gritt papers

Start off going from top to bottom with the paper. Then go side to side with the next grade. Then top to bottom with the next then side to side with the last
Saves getting too deep with the scratches.

Then machine polish it back to life and they will be like new
Rob E

14th Dec 13 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I achieved these results with Meguiars cleaning kit and a Halfrauds project pack of wet & dry. Started at 800 grit and worked up through to 1200 then through the grades in the Meguires kit. I used the supplied drill bit for a final polish. They came up really well!

SXI - Matt

14th Dec 13 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used the Meg's kit to really easy to use and excellent results for £20, could probably get all the bits cheaper if bought separately but either way good stuff
Doug

14th Dec 13 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My lights are no where near as bad as those examples posted.

Would the Meg's kit be worth a try initially to see if they sort it? They are just cloudy at the top rather than all over the lens.
Rob E

15th Dec 13 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Megs kit shot take care of that easily. The abrasives start at like 1800 and progress up to 3000. The headlights I did came up like new. I was pretty chuffed because the owner of the Punto was told by the garage that they were so bad the car had failed the MOT and told her she needed new ones at the price of £200
Edges 58

15th Dec 13 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did mine today, just used a loada sand paper I had around. 600, 800, 1200, 2000 the 2500 grit then some polish

RS6

15th Dec 13 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my rs6 head lights were like this, i tried t-cut didn't work, polish nope nothing, toothpaste just removed the yellowness did look a bit better but tbh you need a kit really loads of youtube videos show you how to do it

[Edited on 15-12-2013 by RS6]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Headlight Restoration 22 database queries in 0.0098860 seconds