corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Front door lock broken

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Front door lock broken
Cavey

User status: Offline
30th Nov 13 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In a bit of a pickle...

Front door lock seems to have broken. Struggled getting out for work this morning, opened eventually, then couldn't lock it. Since I've been home I've tried sorting it, but now its staying locked. Handle doesnt seem to be gripping inside the lock, so guessing its worn down somehow.

What can I do to get the door open without killing it? As at the moment we're going to have to use the back door...

Its a modern build, so a new door, upvc, triple lock job, lift the handle to lock it etc... So got both deadbolts locking the door, and the middle lock which aren't budging at the moment.
Aaron

30th Nov 13 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Locksmith?
Dave

30th Nov 13 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happens when you turn the key in the cylinder, do you get the noticeable resistance when you go from locked to unlocked? When locked is the handle still stopped from working?
Cavey

30th Nov 13 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't get it to locked or unlocked, turn the key in it and it open the latch, but not the dead locks on it.

Turning the key offers no resistance.

The handle barely moves when "locked or unlocked" same movement regardless of where the key is.

Obviously locksmith will be considered, but was hoping to find a way without the cost as we're pretty skint at the moment, and the fuxking boiler has decided to short and trip the electrics today too

[Edited on 30-11-2013 by Cavey]
Dave

30th Nov 13 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it possible that the cylinder is at fault? You should be getting a click as the tab on the cylinder locks off the handles.

Whip the handles off, should only be two screws going through into the back of the outside handle, might be worth having someone on the outside in case the handle drops off, take the spindle out and make sure the square hole it sits in is still intact, these can fall apart, jamming the handles.
Cavey

30th Nov 13 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That sounds like the problem, its getting dark so I'll give that a go tomorrow. At least its stuck locked and not open.

Need to get someone to keep my kid distracted as her "helping" is insanely annoying.
Dave

30th Nov 13 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha, I know the feeling, I had my son with me once while doing a job for the in-laws, turned my back for 5 mins only to find him filing the arms of their leather sofa

New Poll