corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance question: airbags deployed = written off?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Insurance question: airbags deployed = written off?
All Torque

User status: Offline
25th Nov 13 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi gang, my wife hit someone up the back today in slow moving traffic and as a result her Suzuki Swift has a bashed front end and both front air bags deployed. The damage to the outside looks very much repairable but the air bags have me concerned, will an insurance company rule out any kind of repairs if they have deployed? Car is a 2007 Swift diesel (not common) with shit loads of history and it is (was) mint as could be.
She was only going about 15mph in slow moving traffic when an Astravan slammed on, minimal damage to the rear.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Writing a car off is all about the cost to repair it, when the airbags go off that is additional cost to bring it back to road standard.
Graeme
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said really depends on pre accident cost and then the repair cost if they think it is worth it.

Air bags going off May not be a big job, just the dash top, new air bags, new air bag ecu. Possibly pre tensioner and there ecu. It's all hard untill it gets to a bodyshop.
Tiger

25th Nov 13 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's written off, buy it back off the insurance company, if you think its a good motor and the insurance company disagree.
AndyCorsaSport

25th Nov 13 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will probably be written off. As Graeme said. Cost of dash, passenger airbag, drivers airbag, airbag ecu. Seatbelts, then needs programming and resetting. Plus labour of fitting all that, that's before any body damage is repaired.

Airbags going off don't just mean it's a write off, all depends on cost. Probly looking upwards of £1k for dash and ecu, seatbelts n bags etc.

We have repaired some cars with airbags go off through insurance, like a 2010 Mini Cooper D other week. All depends on cost of repair and value of car.
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Nov 13 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said, doesn't automatically mean it but replacing it all with main dealer supplied parts at an insurance approved bodyshop normally means it will be.

I would think it will be given the value of the car.
taylorboosh

25th Nov 13 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mates corsa had a £6k repair so its possible
deano87

25th Nov 13 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My £1800 Corsa had £1200 worth of repairs and wasn't written off. Admittedly my excess was £550 but still. Airbags didn't deploy either and it was a fair crunch!
Nic Barnes

25th Nov 13 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i had gone through my insurance mine would have been written off so they said. 2.3k repair bill on a car valued at 4k. excess is £200
taylorboosh

25th Nov 13 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All depends on the company
Graeme
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
As said, doesn't automatically mean it but replacing it all with main dealer supplied parts at an insurance approved bodyshop normally means it will be.

I would think it will be given the value of the car.

Not all insurers use genuine parts. Some stipulate non gen only unless they don't fit correctly. The insurance world and body shop industry is all about back handers. Steve will know all about it as he is a estimator I believe.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance question: airbags deployed = written off? 22 database queries in 0.0132580 seconds