corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Question on loans

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question on loans
Wrighty

User status: Offline
13th Nov 13 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im about to take out a loan for a new daily motor but just wondering where would be better to get one from, heres my situation.

my last one was from my bank HSBC, but there is also these guys http://www.zopa.com/ recommended to me as a few people at work who have used to them to borrow and also currently invest here.

Iv got some money coming my way but its taken a bit longer to sort out, so i only need the loan as a sort of stop gap until my cash arrives and il pay off the loan where ever i decide to get it from.

Main question is, do loans show up on your credit file, and if they do would it look better getting one from my bank over zopa, say if i were to get a mortgage from my bank in a few years time?
Ben G

14th Nov 13 at 03:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as the loan was paid off in full then I don't see how it could look bad?

I'm fairly certain having loans/credit cards on your credit file is better than having nothing.
fred7

14th Nov 13 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any type of credit shows up on your credit. All credit is good as long as its paid back on time with no problems. Defo want some up to date credit on your file for a mortgage because shows u can handle it still. To do with loan go to who ever offers u the most for less. Tesco etc usually good if u have good credit
Rob_Quads

14th Nov 13 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You may well find that the best way to do it is a loan over a longer period that has a lower APR but no repayment penalties.

I had one with FirstDirect and as long as I did not clear the loan by payment it was fine. All you have to do was leave £1 left on the loan to be cleared by the next regular payment and it was fine (even though they had lost out on the interest on around 3 years of interest)
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Nov 13 at 17:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A loan is only going to hurt you come mortgage time if:

a) you missed a payment

or

b) the monthly repayments are still ongoing, and they feel it leaves you too little cash for your mortgage payments (even if you think you can manage easily).

I'd always prefer to be loan/credit card free when applying for a mortgage - even if I can easily afford repayments plus the new mortgage.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Toby
Premium Member

14th Nov 13 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Kyle mentioned your affordability is not the banks affordability.
ed

14th Nov 13 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Typically the banks will take your outstanding loan balance and deduct it from the amount they will lend you in a mortgage. I've run into this issue with my applications so I'm having to stump up a higher deposit to reduce the monthly payments (despite everything they've quoted me so far being significantly less than what I'm paying in rent ). I guess they've got to be careful with who they lend to and other people's circumstances may give them different results.
Wrighty

14th Nov 13 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no worries i wont have any loans at the same time as a mortage, like i say its gonna be paid off within weeks was just wondering if either would look better or worse. seems it dont really matter!
deano87

16th Nov 13 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you need the stop gap, what value are we talking? A credit card on 0% may be a better option?!

New Poll