corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Vectra Elite 2.8 Project...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vectra Elite 2.8 Project...
PaulW

User status: Offline
5th Nov 13 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not been on here in quite some time... so hello again! Thought I'd post up progress of my Vec

I got my 2.8 Elite last August, fancied an Estate, and as the Estate VXR was out of my price range, harder to source, and also that I preferred the 'wolf in sheep's clothing look' more, I decided on a 2.8 Elite Estate. Ended up travelling from Cheshire to Bristol for it, as it was the best from those advertised online, and was a very very interesting drive back via Weymouth!

First thing I did though, debadge it, get rid of the dealers sticker, and get a stage 1 map put on at MPG. I'd actually booked it in at MPG before I'd even bought the car!

However, all wasn't peachy, and ended up having to replace the drivers wing mirror as some scrote smashed it... Now, I've had Omega's and Corsa's before, as well as a Focus, and they were pretty simple to swap... This however...

And the same was true when I ended up having to change the bloody headlight bulbs!! No room at all for me to get behind the lights, so had to remove them... completely...!

Now, so far so good with the car... All going well!! Until the bonnet cable broke... Now, general consensus about this one is to slide your arm up behind the radiator, and unlatch the bonnet that way... How... Seriously, how the hell are you supposed to?? I don't have scrawny arms for a start, and there was just NO room at all!! So had to smash my way in...

So, decided while this was being done, now would be a good time to do a few more bits to the car... New boost hoses as they old ones kept popping off.

New suspension too as discovered a snapped spring (opted for the B12 Pro kit from LMF), said it would be a few weeks wait as the kerb weights of the Estate were different to the VXR kit they have, so had to get the correct springs, but it arrived inside of 8 days!

Also opted to get the precat binned too! (Again, MPG)

So, while the car was being sorted with, I had to resort to the bike to get to work... Now, given the weather was pretty crap (remember the big fun snow storm we had?? My only word of advice is to make sure you run proper nobbly tyres in winter, and not road tyres, otherwise this might happen...

Considering I was only 2 miles from work when I came off, not surprised really as this was what I hit (the road was completely covered when I got there, there was no road at all)

But not bad timing really, as the car was now sorted! Oh, and as for the grille, I got a new one

And a cheeky shot of the precat decat

So now the car was back, took the bike off to get fixed!

Happy days!! So yeah, car was running pretty sweet too. Not too sure on the claimed power, but given it's an auto (and so a complete git to get a proper readying) I'm reasonably happy with the result from getting it RR'd

Anyways, it's running OK. Gearbox is starting to get a little clunky though, and I'm seeing codes relating to the SAI pump, so not sure if it's either that causing an air leak somewhere, or if the box is generally playing up, so got a fluid change done, and it helped a bit but was still notchy going from 1st to 2nd. Still, it was lovely and quick

PVS came, and I ran 14.7 down the strip, so reasonably impressed, although it took a toll on the car, and the gearbox was more clunky again. Either that or it was just me, I don't know, but after a while it started to settle down a bit. The RR at PVS didn't help though, I really don't think they knew what they were doing, and it seemed much worse after they had it on the rollers...

Now the OH also ran her Astra down the strip, lovely little 1.7 Eco4 which I fixed up from a Cat C a few years back as a surprise, and it did well, ran a 19.7 considering it blew up the A/C compressor (even though it was turned off) But she started lusting after the new shape Astra while there, said it looked lovely, but she'd never have one as they were too expensive and an older Astra H was more in the price range she thought was affordable... So after PVS I got her this...

Astra SRI 2.0 CDTi... With a really weird electric handbrake (never had one before) but it's verrrry nice!!!

Anyways, back to the Vec....

I decided to treat it to some new boots, a set of 18" Irmscher SportStar Black Attacks, very nice wheels which I feel really set the car off now!!... And yes, they are roof bars you see...

But... the gearbox is still annoying me, and I crave more power, quicker 1/4 miles... as you do... So have been in touch with the guys at MWP in Chester to see what we can do. And with the gearbox still giving me a hard time (it's now started to drop out of gear under hard acceleration when the TC kicks in) I thought it time to sort things out... So after some lengthy discussions, and options, I've settled on this...

Uprated Intercooler & Uprated Water Radiator
Precat Back Milltek Exhaust System
Insignia VXR Turbocharger Unit
Manual F40 Gearbox Conversion
Insignia VXR Uprated Injectors
Big AP Racing 6 Pot Black Front Brake Upgrade
Quaife Limited Slip Differential
3pc Uprated Paddle Clutch
POWERFLEX BUSHES
PF - Front Lower Wishbone - Front Bushes
PF - Front Lower Wishbone - Rear Bushes
PF - Front Anti Roll Bar
PF - Rear Anti Roll Bar
PF - Rear Trailing Arm Bushes
Front Suspension Strut Top Mount Bearings (x2)
OE Quality Rear Discs
OE Quality Rear Pads
Valvoline Synpower TDL Gearbox Oil 75w90
Insignia VXR Fuel Injectors incl. Rail
Vectra VXR Black Xenon Projector Headlamp Upgrade
Rear Braided Brake Lines
ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid
Paint Rear Calipers
Powerflex Front Engine Mount Insert
4 Wheel Laser Alignment

And so, the car is now at MWP getting all the work done! Some pictures I have so far of what's going on...

(I know the brakes are Red here, but we were test fitting the wheels on another Vec they had in so we could check the measurements before getting the brakes sorted by Reyland)

Soon as I know more, I will update

[Edited on 05-11-2013 by PaulW]
Chris x

5th Nov 13 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheaper to get a VXR?

Proper sleeper though!
PaulW

5th Nov 13 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Estate model yes, at the time... There were none for sale except 1 on eBay for 9k. They also seem to hold their value somewhat better given the rarity of the Estate... Unlike the Elite!
djgritt
Premium Member

6th Nov 13 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are throwing some money at it, that's for sure!

djgritt
Premium Member

6th Nov 13 at 14:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and if you need a pair of Black Xenons, I'll have a set of casing available pretty soon... I'll be keeping the Bulbs/Ballasts for my AFLs though.
PaulW

6th Nov 13 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Already got the headlights ready to go on To be honest, I'd rather get it all done in one go than just faff about doing it bit by bit, and as I'm getting a manual box conversion (as far as I know, this will be the only Elite 2.8 in the country with this done), I thought why not go all the way and get the most I can out of it for now

[Edited on 06-11-2013 by PaulW]
djgritt
Premium Member

7th Nov 13 at 07:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should be good for around 340bhp - 420lb/ft or so with all of the hardware changes too. That'll go well!

Is there any particular reason for going for the Milltek over a used OE VXR Exhaust System?
I would imagine availability is one, but are there any others?
I ask as the Milltek is a LOT of money and is no better than the VXRs Factory Remus...

The Quaife will make a significant difference to how it puts the power down. Easily one of the best things I've done with mine.

The APs are supposed to be amazing too. I've wanted a set myself but they are a big investment...

[Edited on 07-11-2013 by djgritt]
PaulW

7th Nov 13 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The milltek is still going to be more bespoke than off-the-shelf, as I want to retain the factory look to a certain degree, and part of that is not having an exhaust poking out the back, so they're adapting the one they have for the VXR estate, but to keep the style of backbox which remains hidden

AP's... good luck! It's only from ringing around that I've managed to get them sorted, Walkinshaw/Courtney all say they can't get them, and contacting AP, they said they'd need a minimum order of around 20 sets or something daft like that. But having a chat with Martin at Reyland, managed to get something sorted. CP9040 Calipers, Bells and Rotors, with the carrier machined to suit. Clearance behind the Sportstars is very tight, but not too tight to cause any major concerns. Plus this way, I get the Black AP Calipers, as if I did manage to find the kit which was done for the Vec VXR, it would only be in Blue or Red (as pictured above). Plus, no VXR logo on the Caliper this way too which is nice
djgritt
Premium Member

7th Nov 13 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, the exhaust sounds like a good plan.

I knew the APs would be difficult to source, Courtenay don't state a price and list them as POA, which hints at them being very 'one-off' packages.
I'd been considering the K-Sport kit, as it's half the price. I know it won't happen though, I'm planning to sell up next Autumn so won't be shelling out massive money now.
PaulW

18th Nov 13 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the AP kit is now consisting of the CP5575 Calipers (as used on the impossible to get VXR kit), but instead of being Red or Blue with VXR Branding on, they are the plain black APRacing calipers (same as found in this kit http://www.apracing.com/product_details/road_car_upgrades/factory_big_brake_kits/bmw/m3_applications/m3_e46-front_6_piston_kit_cp5575-1004-17mm_thick_pad.aspx) That should have landed by now from Reyland, so will get some pictures up as soon as I get them!

As for progress on the car... Everything else has pretty much arrived, coolers, exhaust, etc... Just little parts here & there which will be ordered as/when needed! Gearbox will be fitted soon and then tested with Tech2 to make sure it all works as expected with no errors, and then everything should start being built! So a few piccies

Bit of an odd one... but pedals are fitted

Gearstick is also in (seems odd really as the car has been an auto since I had it), but no pictures of that yet...

Shiny new clutch...

New bearings installed into the gearbox casing

And the Quaife

New hydraulic clutch release bearing fitted

And clutch all fully assembled ready to fit

The map for the car should be ready in about 2 weeks, and MWP have told the mappers to 'not hold back' so should be interesting to see exactly what can be got from these mods. Other than that, the car is still in many many pieces when I last saw it, but it is coming along!

[Edited on 18-11-2013 by PaulW]
djgritt
Premium Member

18th Nov 13 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice
Ad Blue B

18th Nov 13 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know one of the lads at MWP and i have seen what they can do, they wont hold back! Looks awesome!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Vectra Elite 2.8 Project... 23 database queries in 0.0148821 seconds