corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Tyres, what a ballache.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tyres, what a ballache.
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Oct 13 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm trying to sort new tyres for the BMW, which needs a new set.

Currently it has 225/45 17 on the front and 245/40 17 on the rear, which bugs the hell out of me as they look smaller on the back as the sidewall is smaller.

It needs 255/40 17s on the rear to match but they don't fit without scrubbing. Roll the arches and they go on but thy make the car understeery.

Go down to a 215/45 17 on the front and he sidewall height is correct but with less rubber at the front, it will understeer again.

So, I have no choice but to stay with the current sizes.

I need 2 sets of tyres, one for winter road use and one set for trackdays.

So, 225/45 17 front and 245/40 17 rears are easy to get in something normal, for road use but can I find them in a track tyre which isn't silly money?

I don't know what to do, I need to get the suspension set up but I don't want to mess it all up by using a different tyre size after spending the money on the geometry. Ideally, I need 2 sets the same size but that just isn't happening.
chris_uk
Premium Member

14th Oct 13 at 10:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What tyres have tou looked at?

V70a, ao48, r888, zzr?

Cant you get 245/45 for the rear if the sidewall size bugs you?

[Edited on 14-10-2013 by chris_uk]
Robin
Premium Member

14th Oct 13 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looked at camskill and they only list a a048r... £POA, everywhere else lists that tyre at £200 each!

245/45 17 is 18mm taller than the 225/45 17, would look really wrong
chris_uk
Premium Member

14th Oct 13 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunatly the ao48's are damn expensive my r888 rears (225/45/17) are/were £155 each delivered. I got them from adam and page.

Zzr's are supposed to be great an cheaper, the v70a's are good but jave litterally no tread as new (3mm i think)
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

14th Oct 13 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you looked at syron's or RSR they get alright reviews. But then if you have spare wheels go for second hand sets
Robin
Premium Member

14th Oct 13 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The federals are what I wanted but I can't find 245/40 17s anywhere.

You tried your Syrons yet?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

14th Oct 13 at 10:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
The federals are what I wanted but I can't find 245/40 17s anywhere.

You tried your Syrons yet?

They are on the front currently havent done any track days yet. But they seem alright so far and i have been pushing it down the local B roads and i have nothing but positive things to say about them.

I'd say they are better than PS3 in the dry 10 fold. Wet isnt nice but they have a similar patten to PS Cups which arnt nice in the wet either. For cheap rubber they are good!
Robin
Premium Member

14th Oct 13 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol, Syrons not available in the size I need
chris_uk
Premium Member

14th Oct 13 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im guna put this out there but Why not buy some different alloys and stick tyres on them. ?
Robin
Premium Member

14th Oct 13 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would, but I already have 3 sets of wheels.
craig8
Premium Member

14th Oct 13 at 23:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I run 225 45 17 ad08 all round and I don't have any under steer issues

Road tyres I have are 215 for clearance of the arches whilst using spacers on the front and 245 on the rear and again no under steer issues at all

E36 328
Robin
Premium Member

15th Oct 13 at 07:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

225 all round would be fine but I have 8.5" rear wheels and they're too wide for those tyres.
Robin
Premium Member

15th Oct 13 at 07:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't expect to spend £550 on a set of posh road tyres either, proper track tyres will be £750 and last one track day as there's 2 of us driving it
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Oct 13 at 07:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They last longer than you think mate..

I know mine weighs fuck all but.. On my last set of r888's i dis 3 trackdays and approx 10k road miles and they were still legal when i changed, infact they are kept in the garage as spares.

Its totally dependant on how you drive obviously, start kicking the rear out and yea, they will wear faster. If 2 of you are driving could you not go 1/2's on the track tyres?
Robin
Premium Member

15th Oct 13 at 08:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am already Chris, I'm married to the other driver

Just got a price on Dunlop slicks, 810 in the right sizes, compared to £750 for R888s
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Oct 13 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah.. Your paying the lot then lol.

Personally i wouldnt bother with slicks.. They transfer so much load onto the suspension that it could snap or damage a suspension component..

Eg.. The rear toe link on the vx has to be upgraded when going from normals to semi slicks, they just cant cope and end up snapping an then if that happens your going to en up backwards in a wall.

Personally the semi slicks are the way to go, but its up to you at the end of the day.

Did you get prices or kumho v70a and avon zzr's?
Robin
Premium Member

15th Oct 13 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

V70as I did. £642. Thing which puts me off them is the tread depth, they are 'half worn' already!

ZZRs aren't available in the right size
craig8
Premium Member

15th Oct 13 at 09:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
225 all round would be fine but I have 8.5" rear wheels and they're too wide for those tyres.

What I'm saying is you probably won't notice any difference in handling between 245 and 255

Try a few track days on good road tyres first and see how you get on, with my ad08s the rears were part worn when I got the wheels and the fronts were new and they have done 2 days, drove too and from the track and used on the car for going shopping/out a run etc
Rears still have another track day in them before they get to the wear markers and the fronts have another 2 or 3 days in them

E36 328
Robin
Premium Member

15th Oct 13 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you use a 7.5 all round Craig? Spacers on the front still for coilovers?
craig8
Premium Member

15th Oct 13 at 18:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep 7.5 style 32s all round and 15mm spacers on the front

Also have a set of the standard staggered bbs as spares but not using them atm

E36 328

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Tyres, what a ballache. 23 database queries in 0.0927739 seconds