corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Buying Property at Auction

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying Property at Auction
James

User status: Offline
16th Sep 13 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of questions:

Do you need to get a survey up front, or are you able to bid "subject to survey"? I'm assuming you need it up front, but it's quite a lot of money to outlay when the property could be withdrawn or you could easily lose it at the auction.

I read the legal pack for a property near me. It says "In addition to the purchase price the buyer will pay the seller on completion an additional two percent of the said purchase price". Is this common practice? There's no explanation as to what the fee might be for, so can sellers just dictate pretty much any terms they like in the legal pack?!

[Edited on 16-09-2013 by James]
Rob_Quads

16th Sep 13 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty sure you can't bid subject to survey.

Also bear in mind that many will want to complete in 30 days so you need to make sure you get your money sorted up front and sure you can get it.

I've often heard of the sellers fees being paid by the buyer which may well be what the 2% is.
RichR
Premium Member

16th Sep 13 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't bid subject to survey. Deposit and fees normally needs paying on the day and completion within 30days is the normal.

You can have a survey done up front but if you don't win it, you've spent out on a survey.
RichR
Premium Member

16th Sep 13 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fee will be the 'seller's fee' payable to the auction house. They're covering the fee by passing the 2% charge on to the buyer
James

16th Sep 13 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The place I had my eye on sold for almost double the guide price anyway.

I know auction houses set the guide prices low to build interest but that's ridiculous.
AndyKent

16th Sep 13 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guide prices are always set low so that (a) it draws interest and (b) makes the auction place look good.
deano87

16th Sep 13 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said, I read into it.

1) You can't buy at auction as a first time buyer (shame because my dad is a builder)
2) You have to pay fees and deposits on the day, in the auction house. As soon as the hammer goes down, you're legally obliged to buy.
John

16th Sep 13 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why can you not buy as a first time buyer? How would they ever know that if you didn't tell them?

What if I was a first time buyer and had cash? There's no chance they'd turn me down. I think that must be made up Deano.
deano87

17th Sep 13 at 05:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From a mortgage perspective John, not cash.

EDIT: Well, so my Mrs says. Quick Google search shows you can

[Edited on 17-09-2013 by deano87]
Hammer

17th Sep 13 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your Mrs doesn't want to move in with you....
Ben G

17th Sep 13 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably worried deano will be as frugal with the central heating as he is with his cars.

Cold showers and frozen interiors galore.
Hammer

17th Sep 13 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The heating will be on optimal settings and only when his pie charts and spreadsheets allow for it.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Sep 13 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why should a FTB not buy anywhere they please?

You need some money ready to cover the up front expenses so don't bid on the back of making a phone call about a 100% mortgage.

But no other reason. Affording the house being the main one.
RichR
Premium Member

18th Sep 13 at 08:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think what Deano is referring to is the difficulty to raise a mortgage against an auction property for a first time buyer-not that a first time buyer who can secure the funds elsewhere can't buy one
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Sep 13 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it any more difficult to do that as FTB? I would think you need more equity whether its your first home or nth investment?
John

18th Sep 13 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deano was referring to him thinking that it wasn't allowed, he says so above, nothing to do with difficulty of raising a mortgage.
RichR
Premium Member

19th Sep 13 at 07:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
From a mortgage perspective John, not cash.

RichR
Premium Member

19th Sep 13 at 07:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know that a lot of BTL mortgages have been withdrawn for first time buyers and lots of lenders have a prerequisite that you must own another property or have a domestic mortgage before they'll lend on a BTL mortgage. It wouldn't surprise me if it was similar for auction properties now
deano87

19th Sep 13 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I know that a lot of BTL mortgages have been withdrawn for first time buyers and lots of lenders have a prerequisite that you must own another property or have a domestic mortgage before they'll lend on a BTL mortgage. It wouldn't surprise me if it was similar for auction properties now

I think this is the case.

tbh, my Mrs was probably talking out her arse and she gets confused when I talk about 90% LTV or 95% LTV. I will leave her to buy all the pots & pans I think

New Poll