corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How quick are Corolla Sports ?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How quick are Corolla Sports ?
blackula

User status: Offline
15th Aug 13 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can anyone tell me how quick a Corolla Sport is, the one that supposedly has 190bhp. I asked this question on a Toyota forum, in relation to my Corsa and didn't get a sensible response.

I'm looking to replace an approx 150-160bhp Corsa B 2.0 conversion with something a bit bigger.

I've looked at Type R's but the older ones are expensive or wrecked.

My question about the Toyota stems from I was coming back from Crewe and seen one shutting down what I would consider quite quick cars, a Fabia VRs and a Clio 197 (or 200 or whatever it was).

They seem to be cheap and cheap insurance...

The figures say 0-60 in 8 seconds, but it didn't appear to be like that.

[Edited on 15-08-2013 by blackula]

Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Aug 13 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember them being slower than they "should have been" if that makes sense, but always liked their trim/aesthetics better than the EP3 which seemed to be a direct competitor.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
gez bay

15th Aug 13 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corolla T sport compressor
corsadonk
Premium Member

15th Aug 13 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what I have read in the past they lack decent mid range torque. Like above they did a supercharged one but I expect them to be out of your budget. The weight is the main issue so I think it will be about the same in a straight line as your B, but maybe better around corners.
blackula

15th Aug 13 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right thanks for the info, I have a small diesel for running about it, so just want something quite quick with lots of room for some journeys.

Which of these is the quickest ?

Corolla Sport
Citroen C3 VTS
Focus ST170

Fiesta ST150

Vabia VRS

Golf Mk4 GTI 180
gez bay

15th Aug 13 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clio 197
jase77

15th Aug 13 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had one of these for 2 years really good car. With exhaust and filter they are a different car and sound awesome. Join the corolla club Site they do rolling road days and meets down santa pod. Most run 6.5 seconds to 60 and 15 second. Quarters
Jambo

15th Aug 13 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give a fuck what's quickest. What's the most fun and what drives well?? The speed difference in a straight line between some of these mentioned would not even be apparent on roads.

Clio 182 would be my vote but you mentioned you needed something bigger. What about a Focus st170?
jase77

15th Aug 13 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Focus st170 would be my choice. Practical and endless tuning.
blackula

15th Aug 13 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gez bay
Clio 197

APparently these don't have 197 bhp more like 180.
gez bay

15th Aug 13 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

197 is Ps, not Hp.

Most are around 185-190.
blackula

15th Aug 13 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gez bay
197 is Ps, not Hp.

Most are around 185-190.

197ps is over 194bhp.

I saw a Corolla sport pull from one of these on a dual carriageway.

If the Clio weighs 1240kg and the Corolla 1180kg, and they have 180 and 190 respectively, that explains why.

Eck
Premium Member

16th Aug 13 at 05:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Focus ST170's are much slower than you'd expect.
spencer88

16th Aug 13 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which Fabia vRS?
Robin
Premium Member

16th Aug 13 at 07:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gearing is wrong on the ST170, feels lazy but makes loads of noise.
3CorsaMeal

16th Aug 13 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suggested a corolla in a recent thread and got told i'd ruined the thread
3CorsaMeal

16th Aug 13 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=657803

Fcuknig dick!
Walshyposse

16th Aug 13 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate has one and he took me out in it as I was curious, they are not fast low down or mid range, but it is quick after hitting 6k, so you would find yourself having to be revving the nuts off it just for a bit of power. Not my idea of fun. I have the 8v ne in my corsa and that's good as you don't have to rev the nuts off it for a bit of speed.
Baskey

16th Aug 13 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought it was the clever choice over a type r. I test drove one and it was shit, as a hot hatch not even in the same league if your after fun.

blackula

16th Aug 13 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a Type R on 02 plate an early one, company lease, basically I found it uncomfortable, hated the gearchange halfway up the dash, didn't like the looks, wasn't any quicker than my friends Clio Williams and never cracked 30mpg.

The thing about the Corolla's is they are much nicer inside than the Honda, though the early one up to 54 plate is quite different to the later one. The earlier one looks like the other cars in the range and sits high up like an SUV. They also have engine issues up top or something.

I've driven both now...and the difference is like chalk and cheese. The early one sits higher, has more turns on the rack lock to lock, doesn't have the dual strut braces and has 3bhp less as the later one has a revised ECU.

Other differences are the facelift, white dials, the pedal covers and some other stuff, but I noticed the later ones handle loads better. Unless you were on a race track or doing a tarmac rally or an incredibly talented driver, I don't think a Type R or other hatch would lose you under normal conditions.

Drove an FN2 too, but too pricey for me. Definetly slower than the mk2 T-Sport...felt like it was full of lead.

If you put 99octane in a mk2 t-sport they make nearly 200bhp, so seeing as they weight less than both Type R's, but have less torque (but lower gearing) they should be as quick or quicker.

There are vids on youtube of people 'racing' and it's either neck and neck or the Corolla is quicker.

Anyhow, I do like the St170, they handle so nicely, but as stated by someone, they feel like they have about 130bhp.

[Edited on 16-08-2013 by blackula]
Baskey

16th Aug 13 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea it was an older one I drove, it just felt so boaring and slow compared to the Clio 172 I had at the time so I bought a type r instead (which i sold last week, zero depreciation in 15 months!)

If the newer ones are a lot better they may be worth a punt as you can pick them up really cheap now
blackula

16th Aug 13 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Focus ST 170 drives very nicely, but it is nowhere near the Corolla on power.
Also the FOcus does 5-6mpg less on fuel !
blackula

17th Aug 13 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now looking at Mondeo ST's, preferably a diesel, drove the 220 and it is quick, and an amazing interior.

Like the analogue clock...!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How quick are Corolla Sports ? 23 database queries in 0.2000482 seconds