corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » How do you manage your emails?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How do you manage your emails?
Doug

User status: Offline
24th Jul 13 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

Just a quick question about best practices for managing emails in Outlook. I get/send circa 50-75 emails a day and my current setup is that of many folders and sub folders with rules so any email that comes in goes straight into the correct folder. So for example if I get an email from a supplier the email will automatically go straight to ‘supplier X’ sub folder under ‘suppliers’.

This works well for me now, but I have far too many rules in outlook and I find that my corporate phone won’t alert me to any new emails that come into any folder other than the inbox, which is less than ideal!

So I guess I have a few options. Modify all the rules so that they only run when I close outlook, so at the end of the day everything from the inbox get sorted for me even though it arrives into the inbox. Or, should I trash all the rules and folders, put all the emails back into one big inbox and then rely on searches to see the data? That would benefit the mobile device as it will then alert me to all the emails, but will be a different way of working for me.

How do you all organise yours?

Any advice?
Whittie

24th Jul 13 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exchange + Rules - Phone handles it fine. What are you using?
SXIBrad

24th Jul 13 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't...
I just check every few days for anything that looks important
John

24th Jul 13 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I deal with everything as it comes in.
Dom

24th Jul 13 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use rules and folders, mobile throws up notifications without issue.
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Jul 13 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

I do this and sort stuff into folders manually. I've done the rules thing and found similar issues with phones so prefer to digest and sort stuff myself. Outlook searching and filtering is excellent nowadays so really no need to sort stuff away so granular.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Whittie

24th Jul 13 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

You're obviously not that busy in your work then?
John

24th Jul 13 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mega busy, just about everything is as important as everything else though so all gets dealt with straight away. If I've got something unread in my mailbox for more than a couple of minutes, something is wrong.

Also same as Kyle, especially with 2013, search is good enough that I don't sort anything into folders.
Whittie

24th Jul 13 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, must be the nature of your work and assume you don't attend meetings etc where something can be unread for 1-2 hours.
Doug

24th Jul 13 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It all worked perfectly when I was using my iPhone, but now I have brought in a few policies across the company which have shot me in the foot. I don't want people to use their own devices to sync witht he exchange server, they must use an issued device.

Currently on some legacy Windows Mobile devices (Lumia 800/900's) but moving to BlackBerry Q5's when Vodafone get stock as we have gone over to Office 365 which has BlackBerry Business Cloud built in for MDM.

I don't think the BlackBerry devices will alert to my current folder structure, unless someone can tell me different? I will love you forever if you come up with a solution
Matt L

24th Jul 13 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

using google mail but everything stops as unread in my inbox (do highlight/label certain things as and when they come in so I know what it roughly relates to although not worked out how to do this automatically).

I only get around 25-50ish emails on a bad day but stuff will just sit there until dealt with.

actually checked the total number of emails sent/recieved since i started in November... 8.5k
Nismo

24th Jul 13 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use flags, average of 200+ per day, some stuff is more important than others, i use Mac mail, seems better and faster than outlook when searching.
Dom

24th Jul 13 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
using google mail but everything stops as unread in my inbox (do highlight/label certain things as and when they come in so I know what it roughly relates to although not worked out how to do this automatically).

I only get around 25-50ish emails on a bad day but stuff will just sit there until dealt with.

actually checked the total number of emails sent/recieved since i started in November... 8.5k

Use rules, iirc called Filters in Gmail/Google Mail, and you can get to apply labels (or move mail to dedicated folders etc) to mail based on XYZ criteria.
Obviously everything is carried over to the Gmail/Google Mail mobile app and if you sort into folders you can apply individual notifications/sync options to each folder.
Gary
Premium Member

24th Jul 13 at 14:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gmail ftw, although the new tabs thinig is a bit shit
Dom

24th Jul 13 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
...although the new tabs thinig is a bit shit

Definitely! You can switch it off on the web interface but i can't find a way of doing that within the mobile app

[Edited on 24-07-2013 by Dom]
pow
Premium Member

24th Jul 13 at 15:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't rule anything that comes into my inbox but once it's actioned/replied to/whatever is needed I file it away in it's folder/label with my gmail accounts. That way I never miss an email, my inbox is like a todo list and I've got everything saved for reference
pow
Premium Member

24th Jul 13 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I'm a bit OCD empty inbox = happy pow
John

24th Jul 13 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Gary
...although the new tabs thinig is a bit shit

Definitely! You can switch it off on the web interface but i can't find a way of doing that within the mobile app

On Android?

When I turned it off on one, it copied to the other. I think I actually deleted them from the app and it done it on the web interface.
Dom

24th Jul 13 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
On Android?

When I turned it off on one, it copied to the other. I think I actually deleted them from the app and it done it on the web interface.

Yup, on Android. As said, switched it off on the web interface without issue but under the GMail app it still seems to tab group emails

Edit - Finally found an option under settings - Settings > (Gmail Account) > Inbox Categories > deselect everything

Toby
Premium Member

24th Jul 13 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Edit > Select All > Delete.

Tbh try to use folders but I'm shit. I build up like four or five thousand in my inbox then archive.

pow
Premium Member

24th Jul 13 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks John, was pissing me off but hadn't had chance to play yet!
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 13 at 18:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I was getting 50-75 per day and they all needed attention right there, I'd be asking my colleagues to chill out.

Replying to every single thing within a few minutes? Are you not doing any other job at your desk? No possible way I'd ever have got anything done at all if I knocked off every 9 minutes to respond to an email.
Doug

24th Jul 13 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

God no, but I get copied into a lot of stuff that is happening due to my job.

noshua

24th Jul 13 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cc -> new folder
Marc

25th Jul 13 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managing my emails isn't dificult, its managing my call backs thats the killer.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll