corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » VIDEO ADDED: Weird noise when starting up

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author VIDEO ADDED: Weird noise when starting up
SXIBrad

User status: Offline
21st Jun 13 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EDIT: Video below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ZScN-9T2E&feature=youtu.be
First one is if I am starting the car up straight away. Second one is if I leave ignition on for 15+ secs before starting it.

So on my Corsa C SXI 1.2 Twinport, most of the time when I start the engine up, it makes a weird sound. The only way I can explain it is that it starts up alot louder than the general running sound is. I guess it sort of "roars" for around a second then fades out.

Timing chain was replaced around 11k miles ago. I know that I have a small oil leak so this may be linked.

Could it be starter motor related?

Could it be due to oil pressure? I've looked somewhere today and people have said to leave ignition on for about 15 seconds then start it up and it doesnt make a sound? I will try that tonight.

I will try getting a video of the sound tomorrow and post it here as its pretty hard to explain.

I imagine someone else here has had the same problem so I thought I would ask.

Thank you guys!

[Edited on 22-06-2013 by SXIBrad]
corsadonk
Premium Member

21st Jun 13 at 18:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best to get video.
monkeytwizzel

22nd Jun 13 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it have air pump like the old ecotec vecci`s that only work on start up and cut out after a set time or a crack in the exhaust manifold that seals up as it heats up?
SXIBrad

22nd Jun 13 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
Best to get video.

Videos below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ZScN-9T2E&feature=youtu.be

First is if I just start the engine straight away. Second is if I leave ignition on for 15+ seconds before starting.

quote:
Originally posted by monkeytwizzel
Does it have air pump like the old ecotec vecci`s that only work on start up and cut out after a set time or a crack in the exhaust manifold that seals up as it heats up?

I don't have a clue mate!
BenC1985

22nd Jun 13 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id say its the chain slighly rattling from the video. My gfs corsa d is chain driven and sounded like that untill it had a new tensioner put on it while the head gasket was done. Was the tensioner done with the chain???
corsadonk
Premium Member

22nd Jun 13 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It might be something to do with the EGR. It sounds like the exhaust blows for a second. Very odd.
gary2097

22nd Jun 13 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it sounds like the starter motor not fully retracting or something. Has it always done it or just when u changed the chain
Cardie

23rd Jun 13 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100% The chain.

Being oil pressure fed, from cold of sat for a couple of hours there will be hardly any oil in the gallery to the chain tensioner.

So if you start it just after its been started or left for 5 10 minutes, it wont do it half as bad.
BenC1985

23rd Jun 13 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cardie
100% The chain.

Being oil pressure fed, from cold of sat for a couple of hours there will be hardly any oil in the gallery to the chain tensioner.

So if you start it just after its been started or left for 5 10 minutes, it wont do it half as bad.

Exactly this. As i said my gfs corsa rattled like mad. Then the headgasket was done and vauxhall recommended to change the oil pump and tensioner as its oil pressure fed, noisy chain problem stopped instantly.
SXIBrad

23rd Jun 13 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BenC1985
quote:
Originally posted by Cardie
100% The chain.

Exactly this. As i said my gfs corsa rattled like mad. Then the headgasket was done and vauxhall recommended to change the oil pump and tensioner as its oil pressure fed, noisy chain problem stopped instantly.

I'll take a look into getting the tensioner replaced. When I bought the car, the chain needed replacing, and was replaced by the garage before I bought it.

Cheers everyone for your help!
CJ0806

23rd Jun 13 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you checked the water pump? or the auxillary auto adjuster?
gary2097

23rd Jun 13 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i remember my old 2.2 astra was chain driven and it got recalled for something to do with the oil feed to the chain (wasnt big enough or something) might be worth checking with vauxhall to see if there was anything similar on urs

New Poll