corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Just bought a DSLR

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just bought a DSLR
DannyB
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Jun 13 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got myself a Nikon D3200 as for years now I've fancied taking this photography mallarky a bit more seriously than taking pictures with my phone or a shitty digi cam. Not saying I'm going to make my own website or instanlty add my name to the bottom right of pictures like but I'd quite like to get more knowledge of different settings and tips for taking good photos etc...

So, where can I find good tutorials with examples apart from Youtube, any sites any of you guys regulally use or have used? any decent forums to have a browse of?

Many thanks

Gaz

17th Jun 13 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Talkphotography.co.uk is good but very "Perfectionist" in advice...
My advice it to get out, take a few shots and just get used to your camera in terms of its controls, what you understand to begin with and then go from their.

Light is a wonderful thing to learn about, aperture is fun to play with and shutter speed is confusing as hell when you want to try out new techniques.

Don't be disheartened after your first outing, you will shoot a lot of shit, but remember its digital so it doesn't matter, it costs nothing this view them on the computer and then bin them
Gaz

17th Jun 13 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for tutorials, I personally didn't use any, but there is a YT channel called PhotoGav I think, he is a trainer. You can also go and gather inspiration from the likes of Chromasia, Chase Jarvis, Zach Arias and of course David Hobby.
corb

17th Jun 13 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found reading and learning lots about the basic rules surrounding the exposure triangle really handy. If you find it confusing, note the basics then go out and have a play with the camera. Come back, look at the pics, re-read the guides, go and try again and so on.

Personally, I learn and remember stuff best by hands on learning rather than just reading and trying to memorise stuff. Once I've tried it myself I find it easier to learn...

Oh, and carry your manual around with you. DSLR's can do so much that some people don't ever find out about as they don't RTFM!
Balling
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What type of photography are you looking to do?

Gaz

17th Jun 13 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm like Corb, I only learn by doing things and reading is pointless really as I forget many things.

However, I did note websites down or technicques I found that I could bookmark on my iPhone...

I also would recommend shooting in a semi-auto mode to begin with (aperture priority was my choice) just to get you enjoying photography before full manual destroys your honeymoon period with your new purchase
DannyB
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling

Mainly motorsport and landscapes/local places
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 21:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just got a Canon 650D, bought an app for iPhone specific to model, quite good explains everything and different settings etc.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Scotty_B

20th Jun 13 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
quote:
Originally posted by Balling

Mainly motorsport and landscapes/local places

Great tutorials for motorsport on talkphotography.co.uk
Gaz

22nd Jun 13 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Motorsport - you need to learn ho to pan steadily... it's fucking hard but you're aiming to pan with a car using the lowest shutter speed you can possibly keep a sharp shot with.

Landscape - Go and buy a few filters (ND Grads etc) to help you make some stunning shots with long exposed clouds
Landscape photography however works best as stupid hours...
andys sxi
Premium Member

23rd Jun 13 at 17:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im going to silverstone on sunday, i will be taking my dslr that a got a few weeks ago, any tips ive only really used it on auto mode, will i get good pictures on that mode or will i have to change the settings?

its a nikon d40x

April 08 feature car
Rob E

23rd Jun 13 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best thing if you want to try some panning shots is to stick the camera in shutter priority mode and play around with shutter speeds. There is a good bit of information here http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/07/21/panning-how-the-pros-capture-motion-and-the-best-shutter-speeds-to-use/

Set you focus mode to servo and set the focus point to the middle AF point for your first attempts. Try pan the car when it's in the middle AF point and then half push the shutter button to activate it then full press to release the shutter.

What length of zoom are you planning to use?
andys sxi
Premium Member

23rd Jun 13 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't get how the shutter speeds work I've tryed messing with it but some pictures come out dark? What mode should I be using when I want to slow down the shutter speeds?

I'm using a 55-200mm lens

April 08 feature car
Rob E

23rd Jun 13 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if they are coming out too dark then you need a longer shutter speed.
This might help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjrHOO22ZNg
andys sxi
Premium Member

23rd Jun 13 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a lot of help because I didn't understand what the numbers were meaning when people were saying use 1/250 and actually on your camera it displays it as just 250.

So what type of mode should i use just to change my Shutter speed?

April 08 feature car
Rob E

24th Jun 13 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Honestly, the best way to learn it to just get out with the camera and experiment. Panning with a long zoom lens is also easier with a mono pod to stabalize the camera too. However, you can get good results using it hand held.

Get signed up on the talkphotography forums and read through the tutorials section. Some very helpful information in there
andys sxi
Premium Member

24th Jun 13 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks rob, the problem is I've got less than a week really to try it suppose ill just have to give it a try once I'm there

April 08 feature car
neoquip

15th Jul 13 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you say you bought it cus you have a wedding to do in a few weeks?

lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Just bought a DSLR 24 database queries in 0.0109010 seconds