corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Rooted my S3

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rooted my S3
LeeM

User status: Offline
13th Jun 13 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy an iphone and jailbreak it to change stuff, its shit because you have to jailbreak.
buy a galaxy and root it to change stuff, its better because...
John

13th Jun 13 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rooting isn't the same as jailbreaking, putting on another ROM (which Steve has actually done, just one that's rooted) isn't the same as jailbreaking.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Jun 13 at 17:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I Rooted my S2 because the Android OS's I felt were lacking at that time. Google being clever, incorporated all of the useful features available to rooted phones into their OS releases, so now Android is perfect.

My Grandma likes iOS though.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Nath

13th Jun 13 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Rooting isn't the same as jailbreaking, putting on another ROM (which Steve has actually done, just one that's rooted) isn't the same as jailbreaking.

Especially when jailbreaks look more like android than iOS .
Ste
Premium Member

13th Jun 13 at 17:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even the new ios7 looks more like android

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Dom

13th Jun 13 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
buy an iphone and jailbreak it to change stuff, its shit because you have to jailbreak.
buy a galaxy and root it to change stuff, its better because...

Touchwiz is shite that's why
A2H GO

13th Jun 13 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At least something we agree on.
A2H GO

13th Jun 13 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:

Especially when jailbreaks look more like android than iOS .

How does a jailbreak look more like Android?

A jailbreak doesn't even change the appearance.
A2H GO

13th Jun 13 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Rooting isn't the same as jailbreaking.

It's exactly the same, the whole purpose of both is to unlock root access.
A2H GO

13th Jun 13 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Even the new ios7 looks more like android

You mean windows phone?

http://chris.millr.org/ios-7-looks-familiar-cant-quite-put-my-finger-on-it/
John

13th Jun 13 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In that respect they are the same yes. You can root your android and do absolutely nothing else though. After you've jailbroken your iPhone it's already not as stable as it was before.

It's also very easy to root most android phones, it's done that way mainly for the security of the masses who won't change anything.

Apple is locked down from the ground up because they want to control your brain, so in that respect it's completely different.
Dom

13th Jun 13 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:

Jailbreaking isn't just gaining root on iOS, it also removes other restriction within the OS (ie: third party applications; Android allows that from the get-go). And, iirc, getting root on iOS requires changing the kernel which is different to gaining root on Android.

At best, it's similar but it's certainly not 'exactly the same'!
A2H GO

13th Jun 13 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've no doubt there are differences in the intricacies however both are ultimately performed to allow greater customisation or access than would normally be allowed by the manufacturer.

Not sure I agree iOS is immediately less stable from jailbreaking alone (ie. prior to installing dodgy apps/tweaks).

I personally was disappointed that android wasn't as 'open' as its following like to make out. Anything beyond basic cosmetic changes (wallpaper, icons, layout, gestures) and side loading of apps (which I don't agree with anyway) requires rooting and voiding your warranty, including simple things like save game backups, installing some emulators and customisation of things like the notification pull down, status bars, menus etc which all looked terrible on touchwiz.

[Edited on 13-06-2013 by A2H GO]
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 13 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The very fact you even have alternative versions of the same os makes your point void.
A2H GO

13th Jun 13 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What points that mate?
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 13 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You said everything looked terrible on touchwiz, you can simply change your rom and get a different flavour of android if you wish.

If voiding warranties worries you then there are different flavours across a range of phones, do you get that flexibility with IOS?

A2H GO

13th Jun 13 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree having choice is great for the consumer providing there's a combination you like, it's only recently vanilla Samsungs and HTCs have been released meaning for the first time you get a choice of two flavours of android for the same handset.

Choice also has its downsides though. Less secure, slow update process, instability, inconsistent UI's causing confusion for the average consumer, poor backup facilities, smaller pool of developers for each device meaning less quality content, incompatible or non-optimized apps etc.

Like everything in life there are pros and cons of each.
Dom

13th Jun 13 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
....it's only recently vanilla Samsungs and HTCs have been released meaning for the first time you get a choice of two flavours of android for the same handset.

Nope, there's always been a big community for custom ROMs for Android phones. So there's a lot more than two choices.

quote:
Choice also has its downsides though. Less secure, slow update process, instability, inconsistent UI's causing confusion for the average consumer, poor backup facilities, smaller pool of developers for each device meaning less quality content, incompatible or non-optimized apps etc.

If we're talking custom ROMs then a lot of the above is BS, plus the average Joe is unlikely to be 'ROMing' their phone just like the average wouldn't be jailbreaking their iOS device (even though both aren't comparable).
A2H GO

13th Jun 13 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know there's always plenty of custom roms hacked together by 12yo's in their bedroom but the point is they require rooting, which google and the android phone manufacturers do not approve of.

It's only recently you've been able to legitimately have vanilla android on anything other than a Nexus, once you've bought the phone however you're stuck with the manufacturers flavour of android in the same way you're stuck with iOS on the iPhone.

If you're saying having the option of voiding your warranty is an advantage of android then fair enough.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 13 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I previously said, you can choose from different flavours of android just by looking at different phones. That doesn't void your warranty and gives you choice. Even non rooted android is still far more customisable than non jail broke iphones
pow
Premium Member

13th Jun 13 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Touchwiz is shite
A2H GO

13th Jun 13 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having choice is good but I'm not sure it makes it 'better' as such.

Vauxhall sell hundreds of models of car, that doesn't make them better than Bentley who only offer a few.

You can customise any part of the UI with jailbreak but you can't with an unrooted android phone btw so your last comments not strictly true.
Dom

13th Jun 13 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I know there's always plenty of custom roms hacked together by 12yo's in their bedroom but the point is they require rooting, which google and the android phone manufacturers do not approve of.

Nope, a lot of the big custom ROM projects, like Cyanogen, have reasonable big teams behind them full of skilled developers.

Google have stated they don't have an issue with rooting (they have said they frown on the idea of rooting by the means of exploiting but haven't condoned it) and a handful of manufacturers have also come out saying something similar. A lot of manufactures are also offer phones with unlocked bootloaders or methods of unlocking the bootloader (Huawei allow you do this via their website).

quote:
...once you've bought the phone however you're stuck with the manufacturers flavour of android in the same way you're stuck with iOS on the iPhone.

Nope, you can easily change it and if the manufacturer allows you it won't void your warranty.

quote:
If you're saying having the option of voiding your warranty is an advantage of android then fair enough.

I'm not saying that at all. You've come to that wrong conclusion all by yourself, although it isn't uprising considering you have a habit of wading in and exaggerating on subjects you haven't a clue about

I bet you're like that fat german kid smashing his keyboard up when you get shown up on subjects like this
Dom

13th Jun 13 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You can customise any part of the UI with jailbreak but you can't with an unrooted android phone btw so your last comments not strictly true.

But you said...

quote:
quote:

And you can happily customise the whole UI with a rooted Android device.

[Edited on 13-06-2013 by Dom]
A2H GO

13th Jun 13 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was responding to Steves comment mate.

Happy to be shown up if rooting doesn't void your warranty and manufacturers are cool with it, this however isn't what I was lead to believe.

P.s. cool pics bro.

[Edited on 14-06-2013 by A2H GO]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll