corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Using a sat nav on holiday - Majorca

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Using a sat nav on holiday - Majorca
jrsteeve

User status: Offline
10th Jun 13 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone used a UK bought sat nav (with Europe maps), or a phone sat nav abroad? Ideally i'd just like to use the one on the phone but am not completely sure how much that'd actually cost in data, or just buying a Tom Tom with Europe maps. I'm going to Majorca and will probs need it as the Mrs is shit at map reading!

Any help appreciated
P1CK4D

10th Jun 13 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've used my TomTom in loads of European countires. The cost in using Data are unreal which is why I wouldn't.
Balling
Premium Member

10th Jun 13 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you use a streaming service like Google Maps on your phone you are going to get raped in data fees.

Dedicated nav app or standalone device are free to use.

Munchie

10th Jun 13 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get navfree https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfree-gps-uk-roi-+-street/id391334793?mt=8

and download the Spain map before you travel.

Enjoy
pow
Premium Member

10th Jun 13 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've used my Garmin abroad a fair few times, downloaded the Europe map from GPS underground and away I went.

BTW you CAN'T get lost in Majorca unless you're going to Palma

Getting out the airport is a bit of a shock, you merge onto the main motorway within about 500 yards of your parking space

[Edited on 10-06-2013 by pow]
Munchie

10th Jun 13 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically.........what we are saying is......YOU DRIVE
jrsteeve

10th Jun 13 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Munchie
Get navfree https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfree-gps-uk-roi-+-street/id391334793?mt=8

and download the Spain map before you travel.

Enjoy

Ta. Any idea if it'd still need the data connection, or just GPS with that app? Probs a stupid question.

Have driven there before a few years ago, but was pretty much a straight road to Pollensa, this one's a bit trickier.

It is me driving!
Cavey

10th Jun 13 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

navfree is just GPS once you've downloaded the maps, which obviously you do on wifi or in the UK
deano87

10th Jun 13 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I had my Nokia N8 which has Nokia Maps installed, I downloaded the Turkey map before going away, turned off roaming data and the sat nav wouldn't work. Really strange.

But having the data off in the app in the UK and it would work fine.

Proper standalone sat nav is your best bet to be sure imho. If you download a satnav app will be alright, just be sure to turn off your roaming data.
jrsteeve

10th Jun 13 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ta fellas, I'll keep an eye on eBay for a reasonable tomtom. Shame data is so expensive abroad
Cavey

10th Jun 13 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbf if you're renting a car, surely the rental place offer satnavs?
deano87

10th Jun 13 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
Ta fellas, I'll keep an eye on eBay for a reasonable tomtom. Shame data is so expensive abroad

O2 cap your data so will only be something like £1.50 per day, so not extautionate for the days you're out driving.

And on Google Maps you can download up to 8 maps, and probably can for Majorca. This definitely works without data because my phone had shite signal in Wales showing an X on the signal bar but the sat nav kept working cause I downloaded the Brecons area.

Your phone might work with data turned off. But might not.
Ste
Premium Member

11th Jun 13 at 04:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

google maps on my androis allow you to select an area and download the map for use with data off. tried it and it works

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
dannymccann

11th Jun 13 at 06:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
google maps on my androis allow you to select an area and download the map for use with data off. tried it and it works

I do this all the time, think I have the whole of the UK downloaded to my Nexus 4 so any data is minimal (mainly to do with layers, like petrol stations etc I think), maybe it's when it checks emails periodically. I should test it with aeroplane mode on with just GPS and see if it still works...
Munchie

11th Jun 13 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will work mate (navfree) I use it on my Nexus and that has no means of connecting to data!
jrsteeve

11th Jun 13 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste

Cheers, i'll give this a go along with the navfree so i have a couple of options
Ste
Premium Member

11th Jun 13 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What advantages are there with navfree over googlemaps? I use google maps now but always sworn by nokia maps which was brilliant and i still think is better than google's

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
jrsteeve

11th Jun 13 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Downloading the Majorca map from google maps now. Silly question but will it still give directions or just act as an atlas?
Ste
Premium Member

11th Jun 13 at 17:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still gives directions although you don't get traffic density data

deano87

11th Jun 13 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
Downloading the Majorca map from google maps now. Silly question but will it still give directions or just act as an atlas?

Will give directions but on an atlas.

You need Google Navigation for turn by turn sat nav style instructions. But it work off the Google Maps you're downloading.
jrsteeve

11th Jun 13 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers very much!
pow
Premium Member

11th Jun 13 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I promise you unless you plan of touring central Palma you really wont need it, I think I made about 4 turns in total to get from the airport to Alcudia

[Edited on 11-06-2013 by pow]
Ste
Premium Member

12th Jun 13 at 05:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also data is so cheap in europe now i would just use it as normal

Ben D

12th Jun 13 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Three aren't cheap for data in Europe, it's either 69p per MB or £5 unlimited for the day, but yea I used google's Navigation on my phone and that was fine when walking about and the built in satnav in the beemer was spot one
Ben J

13th Jun 13 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get a road map?? Place like Majorca its not too tricky anyway.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Using a sat nav on holiday - Majorca 23 database queries in 0.1913960 seconds