corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HDMI cable advice

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HDMI cable advice
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
10th May 13 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick one and probably a very stupid question but I want to hide my cabling for my tv by cutting the plaster and putting it all behind and having some one re plaster ect so all the cables are neat and away. Got breeze block behind the plaster so it will be in between. It's a chord ethernet cable

http://www.hificables.co.uk/11954/Chord-HDMI-Active-High-Speed-with-Ethernet.html?referrer=froogle&gclid=CNzKufXsi7cCFdDJtAodShQAGg

Will it be ok behind as in it wont pick any up any interference or any thing like that due to it being exposed to cold, draft ect as in between the walls

[Edited on 10-05-2013 by SXI - Matt]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

10th May 13 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm confused, why do you need that cable? Why not just run a normal HDMI cable all the way?
SXI - Matt

10th May 13 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is a normal HDMI cable isn't it I've already got it when I purchased the TV seems a very good cable. The one in the link is the one I already have.

Balling
Premium Member

10th May 13 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

65£ for 3m HDMI???

Balling
Premium Member

10th May 13 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to clarify, that price is about 20 times inflated.

Dom

10th May 13 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be buying a few (fallback) £5 jobbies, use them for behind the wall and then sell the Chord or use it internally.
Let's hope you didn't spend £60 odd on a HDMI cable though

[Edited on 10-05-2013 by Dom]
ed

10th May 13 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will electricity be affected by cold and drafts? Wha?
SXI - Matt

10th May 13 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I should add I got it with the tv and got some discount, personally don't mind paying that much for a cable, don't think it is a awful lot, your system is only as good as the the weakest link, the TV was £1400 the surround sound £500 why run it though a £5 cable? Least this is reputable and voted one of the best. Like running a shit brand component on a half decent engine, what the point?

Not by air and temp more as it could get damp ect due to the temp but guess its sealed, like I say probably a silt question but not some thing I'm clued up on.

Oh and £65 is very good there normally £100+ on most shops for the 3m

Don't want to run it internally as want the wiring hidden and out of site, properly out of site not in cable management shroud ect

Dom

10th May 13 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
why run it though a £5 cable?

Why not? There isn't any picture/sound quality difference using the Chord.

But either way, if you want to stick the Chord into the wall then yes it'll be fine. However i recommend running a spare in the event the first gets damaged.
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th May 13 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HDMI is literally binary, it either works or it doesn't. It's not like running good components on shit engines at all.

Speaker cable however, is a different story

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SXI - Matt

10th May 13 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely if you hooked at £3 eBay job up against a £100 chord or the likes of that make cable there would be a difference. I use it for 3D ect I find it hard to believe there is no difference between the 2 at all. In fact I know having tried different ones there is certainly difference in sound quality you get from a cheap 1.

I know of people running £300+ cables for home theatre systems. There is a reason they don't have £3 eBay specials.
Conway563

10th May 13 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I know of people running £300+ cables for home theatre systems. There is a reason they don't have £3 eBay specials.

Either stupidity or so they can tell people they have £300+ cables
SXI - Matt

10th May 13 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So going off what your all saying if you were to have a £3k maybe £5k TV and £2k plus surround sound you'd all happily fit a £3 HDMI cable to feet from the player to the TV?

If safely bet money on a decent HDMJ cable will be better then some £3 shit of eBay

willay
Premium Member

10th May 13 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt, dont take it the wrong way mate but everyone is trying to enlighten you. The mark up on HDMI cables is complete bullshit because as someone has already mentioned its a digital signal, its 1s and 0s, its on or off. I've purchased some long HDMI cables from ebuyer.com like this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/242261-xenta-flat-hdmi-to-hdmi-20-metre-cable-hdmi-10

and have had no issues.

No amount of gold plated air filled features will improve the cable.

[Edited on 10-05-2013 by willay]
willay
Premium Member

10th May 13 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also Internet:

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/why-you-don-t-need-to-spend-more-than-2-on-an-hdmi-cable-1071343
deano87

10th May 13 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Also Internet:

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/why-you-don-t-need-to-spend-more-than-2-on-an-hdmi-cable-1071343

Good article that
jacko198

10th May 13 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep it's all crap. Cheep ones do the job just as well.

Working in Outside Broadcast, all of our vision engineers say the same thing. We use cheepo ones for our galleries, in our trucks and anywhere else we need it. (Usually use BNC cable anyway between truck and an Aja) Sky Sports seem happy with it!

Don't fall for the hype.
Dom

10th May 13 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If safely bet money on a decent HDMJ cable will be better then some £3 shit of eBay

Better connectors maybe; better cabling, perhaps; better sound or picture quality, no.
The only time it's worth spending serious money on HDMI is if you're planning to use long runs (ie: 20/30m+) where high resistance/impedance (outside of spec) of cheap cabling can induce signal clocking issues (jitter) and in-turn cause headaches for error-correction.

As Willay said, no one is trying to piss on your bonfire. Rather attempting to educate on the fact that there is a shite load of snake-oil surrounding digital cabling. And personally i think it's a bit of a shame to stick Chord behind a wall when a £5 jobby would do the trick.

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Speaker cable however, is a different story

While there might be technical differences between analogue cabling, it's an opinion minefield on whether or not the differences become audible/visible. And again, there's a load of balls surrounding analogue ie - £1-3k on a Kimber or Audioquest kettle leads (Better off spending that on improving the power supplies of your gear).
Dom

10th May 13 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
(Usually use BNC cable anyway between truck and an Aja)

Isn't SDI a bit finicky about cabling though? I know over long lengths you can get issues, hence why you tend to use RG6 cables and run reclocking amps. Although i would have thought you guys would be using fibre for runs between truck and location/set?
Richie

11th May 13 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So going off what your all saying if you were to have a £3k maybe £5k TV and £2k plus surround sound you'd all happily fit a £3 HDMI cable to feet from the player to the TV?

You would safely lose your dollar. Whilst the cable would probably have more durability - the results end to end would be the same. I suggest you do some googling before attempting to bet your money
Richie

11th May 13 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Surely if you hooked at £3 eBay job up against a £100 chord or the likes of that make cable there would be a difference. I use it for 3D ect I find it hard to believe there is no difference between the 2 at all. In fact I know having tried different ones there is certainly difference in sound quality you get from a cheap 1.

Again this is bullshit - the audio transmission over HDMI is digital as well - quality doesn't come into play there... the signal either gets there or it doesn't. If there were audio "issues" rather than quality - then it was more than likely a duff cable or a niggle elsewhere.

Why do people reel off such bull when it's quite evident they have no actual real world experience of this stuff. Are you someone that stands in Richer Sounds and lets some 19 year old kid talk drivel into you???
John

11th May 13 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at knowing there is a difference when there really isn't
John

11th May 13 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm still rocking the cheapest cables I could find on ebay for everything.
Balling
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 08:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
In fact I know having tried different ones there is certainly difference in sound quality you get from a cheap 1.

Bart

11th May 13 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only thing I look for is a moulded plug types, the 'knock offs' with gold plated this and that which are also ~£5 tend to fall apart. If its a moulded solid plug type it lasts.

Just my own experience.

And as above, no difference in quality of AV.

[Edited on 11-05-2013 by Bart]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll