corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » First time home buyer , little advice wanted for utilities

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author First time home buyer , little advice wanted for utilities
Bullet Proof SRi

User status: Offline
16th Mar 13 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well me and the gf have had an offer accepted on our first home so hopefully everything will go to plan.

Just looking for a some advice when it comes to,

Water, should we go for a meter, only the 2 of us for now and ive been told that it will be loads cheaper.

Secondly, do we go with gas or electric for things like fire and cooker, any real difference in costs
Gaz

16th Mar 13 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meter will be cheaper if you plan on not having kids and have a shower.

remember if you go on a meter you cannot revert back.
Ben G

16th Mar 13 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what size is the house/how many bedrooms? as that's what they use to estimate your water bills iirc.

we're on a meter and it's £25 a month which isn't too bad.

we have an electric cooker and gas hob also. electric is more expensive for me, but before i had the gas hob, they were both the same price.
CORSA NUT

16th Mar 13 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We pay £40 a month for water and would rather have that TBH.

Our bath is huge and I wash our cars a lot so would Dredd to think what we actually use
MarkM

16th Mar 13 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have more bedrooms than people living in the house it's generally cheaper to go on a water meter.
Lee_fr200

16th Mar 13 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just gone on water meter, it's calculated on your rateable value, my water was costing 101 quid per month just switched to water meter and it's 29 a month

As for gas and electric we have gas central heating and that uses a lot of gas alone, sometimes upto 30 quid per week everything else is electric oven hob fire etc etc and that costs us around 50/60 per month mostly
Ben G

17th Mar 13 at 01:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

30 quid a week gas heating? Are you at home 24/7?
Graham88

17th Mar 13 at 02:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is alot I'm on £42 a month Direct Debit & after 6 months through winter I only owe them £6 and its been flat out most days
Toby
Premium Member

17th Mar 13 at 07:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£30 a week is above average but i wouldnt say it was high, you live in a big property i would say that was pretty low. My parents gas bill for last quarter was £700+ now thats scarey. I would get a lot change from that for a years worth supply of utilities.

I would go on a water metre. Or if you dont tell them you don't have an outside tap, friend of mine did this and it's saved him £17 a month.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

17th Mar 13 at 10:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I like rates. Pay a small amount and use what you like. Me my other half and little boy live here and we use a shit load.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Lee_fr200

17th Mar 13 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
30 quid a week gas heating? Are you at home 24/7?

Well it's a combination of things tbh

Yes the house is a big 4 bed detached we have wooden floors downstairs which aren't the warmest

The heating system is 22yr old including the boiler

And currently the missus is hme 24/7 as she's on maternity leave but the thermostat is set to 20 deg all day so depending how cold it is sometimes its constantly on sometimes it switches itself off!

It was colder but we have replaced the doors which were letting in loads of cold next will be to board the garage out as a lot of cold air is coming over the top of the roller shutter door and then going to look at replacing the boiler and possibly the radiators
Bullet Proof SRi

17th Mar 13 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 bedroom , semi detached house.

I would say im in alot of the time as i work from home alot

New Poll