corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wheel Alignment - Camber, Caster etc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheel Alignment - Camber, Caster etc
ChrisBoom

User status: Offline
13th Mar 13 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had four wheel alignment carried out on the Ibiza today as I fitted coilovers over the winter:

Done using a Hunter system, really impessive gear!

Anyway, even before the coilovers were fitted, it used to wear the inside of the front tyres, suggesting the camber was out. Once the coilovers went on, toe looked miles off, and indeed it was:

As you can see, toe was a good bit out on the front, but has now been corrected.

I'll take it back later to get the caster adjusted on the passenger side - I'll crack off all the subframe bolts and grease them up so it doesn't cost too much to adjust in the garage

So it comes down to camber - Should I fit shims to the rear? They are only £20 for eibach shims, just its a hassle removing the brakes etc to fit them?

Front camber - adjustable top mounts are £400
AndyCorsaSport

13th Mar 13 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will driver better now I guess?? We got a wheel alignment thing at work few month back and I was trained how to do it. Done loads since. Good stuff!!
ChrisBoom

13th Mar 13 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, it's been off ever since I put the coilovers on, seems OK now though! Ill get the castor fixed, but just wondering if its any benefit correcting the camber?
Edges 58

13th Mar 13 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be more worried about why you have almost an extra degree of camber at the rear, the rear toe is quite a big difference to say there's no shims too! Biggest question is more than a degree difference on front caster... Is something bent??
ChrisBoom

13th Mar 13 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been lowered on coilovers, guessing that's why the camber is out. Caster I am guessing is a pothole wound - Shall see if adjusting the subframe will sort it. Nothing looks bent underneath anyway, just seems out of alignment.
AndyCorsaSport

14th Mar 13 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Caster could be from pothole etc as you say. But also ride height affects caster. Done some where its ever so slightly in red for castor, but toe and camber are fine. Put a bit of weight on it and it goes in green.

The way you have to have the cars set up is mad, full tank of fuel, washer bottle full, tyres within 2mm of each other. Then some cars you have to put weights in them before you do it.
FlamingCorsa

14th Mar 13 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was given the impression that some cars will have little rear camber as standard, a little wont harm tyres.

I have rear camber shims on my track van to decrease any negative camber and add some tow out to rear wheels to basically make the rear of van a bit looser so giving front more grip. That's the idea anyway.
Mertin

14th Mar 13 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My ibiza was never perfect either with camber, spoke to the guys at clark motorsport about it when setting it up and they said it wouldnt effect tyre wear as it was so little so I was happy with that. Theres fuck all adjustment on them too and their bad for wearing tyres on the front, I ruined a few sets until I had uprated bushes on the front and alignment done a few times to sort it best I could
ChrisBoom

14th Mar 13 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye mine likes to eat the inside of the front tyres too, already have cupra bushed though (Obviously!)

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wheel Alignment - Camber, Caster etc 22 database queries in 0.0130939 seconds