corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bonding fibregalss together ideas

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bonding fibregalss together ideas
chris_uk
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Feb 13 at 09:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did ask on my project thread but not everyone reads that..

So here is the problem..

I have the hardtop here

And the inner skin sat on the hardtop here

Because i can be doing upwards of 160mph i dont want this seperating and flying off, i was thinking about coating it in a thick resin then bolting it together using a number of m6 bolts with nice big spread washers and place bags of sand on it, then once its gone off remove the bolts, fill the holes and get it coloured..

Does anyone have another idea of how i can bond these two together?

Robin
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 09:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

C clamps will be less damaging
chris_uk
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, what about products to use? I though about stikaflex but i know that has a rubber type dry property and didnt think it would be as good as resin but im no bodyshop expert.
Robin
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 09:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about using the stuff your car is glued together with? That works for bonding fibreglass to aluminium apparently so should work for fg to fg.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 09:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fibreglass matting and resin?
chris_uk
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 09:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats not a bad idea robin as when its dry its solid! Ill have a look into that, not sure where to buy it tho.

Steve, thats was my first thought, do you recon adding some matting will make the bond stronger?
Steve
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah should do
chris_uk
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently the stuff used for the chassis is heat treated so thats out of the question.

RichR
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crestobond structural adhesive or plexus-no need for bolts and you'll never separate them
RichR
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't go with Steve's idea
Steve
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why? it will be as strong as the original fibreglass structure what you are bonding too

Or is this jsut another case of overengineering a problem for the sake of it? eg cad designing a log bagger
Gary
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because lee works in an industry involving a lot of fibreglass so is going to know what he's on about more than you.
RichR
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No; it won't be as strong and not will the bond-plus it'll take significantly longer to do. Plexus or crestobond is what you need. You'd have a chance with needlemat but you'll struggle to get it and chop or wr won't give a good bond

Tell me all about you fibreglass experience Steve....
Steve
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So? im not saying there arent other solutions, but to say dont do something indicates that it wouldnt be suitable, there is aboslutely nothing wrong doing as I said.

Gary
Premium Member

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE

Tell me all about you fibreglass experience Steve....

Must...resist...memecreator
Gary
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
, there is aboslutely nothing wrong doing as I said.

How the actual fuck do you know that?
chris_uk
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Crestobond structural adhesive or plexus-no need for bolts and you'll never separate them

The hardtop doesnt sit in the correct place so while the adhesive is curing i need to hold it in a certain place using a bolt gives me perfect adjustability to put it where i want it.

Im going to attach the inner skin to the car.. Cover it in adhesive then place the hardtop on top then adjust its position with the bolts and then leave it to cure so i know once its cured its a perfect fit.

Once it has cured i can just fill the bolt holes and then wrap it/paint it or whatever im doing.
RichR
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is not suitable
Steve
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why
RichR
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because the bond won't be good enough. Even if the area is keyed well, the chance of the bond between a fully cured component and a new ply of laminate will be virtually zero; it'll act as a peel point.

Not only that but do you know the resin system that was used to manufature those two parts? I don't, not by loooking at them, it could be an epoxy, a vinylester or a polyester resin - it could be orthorpthalic or isopthalic. I couldn't tell you what it is and so I couldn't tell you the appropriate system to even attempt to use for your suggestion.

Structural adhesive is made exactly for this purpose and it won't matter what its made of
Steve
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you are just trying to baffle me with bullshit

RichR
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
quote:

The hardtop doesnt sit in the correct place so while the adhesive is curing i need to hold it in a certain place using a bolt gives me perfect adjustability to put it where i want it.

Im going to attach the inner skin to the car.. Cover it in adhesive then place the hardtop on top then adjust its position with the bolts and then leave it to cure so i know once its cured its a perfect fit.

Once it has cured i can just fill the bolt holes and then wrap it/paint it or whatever im doing.

That's fair enough but to avoid unnecesary work; can you not G clamp it or tape it into position?
RichR
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I think you are just trying to baffle me with bullshit

not at all Steve, I think you're full of shit tbh
Gary
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I honestly can't believe your arguing here steve.
chris_uk
Premium Member

28th Feb 13 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lee, i could but i want i think with bolts (m4 size about 100mm long) i can position the hardtop exactly where i want, with clamp they wont hold a position they will just clamp until they items are together but it might be too much and clamp too far.

I dunno i could look at it but i need to clamp it in position dry so i can make the hardtop fit propperly before bonding it.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bonding fibregalss together ideas 22 database queries in 0.0137260 seconds