corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » CMS - What do you use...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CMS - What do you use...
Whittie

User status: Offline
11th Feb 13 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is mainly aimed at the guys who build websites etc.

More and more clients want to be able to manage their own content, usually i'd just give them access for wordpress login and they've got everything available, i've also used touvuti in the past. This however is causing me more work as a certain client keeps fucking it up. I think you can pick and choose in wordpress what they edit? Never borthered to look into it properly, don't do many WP sites.

If you did a html basic static site, what would you use for the client to customize pages that they want to update at their own will? Are there any "bolt-ons" you can install in the same directory etc. This is something I should already know, but never got round to sorting

Thanks guys!
Gary
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Charge them a set fee per month for you to do it. Thaht way they cant fuck it up. And you get paid;.
Whittie

11th Feb 13 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what i've been doing the last 5 or so years, but i'm losing out on more and more clients by not offering cms mate, so it's something i'd like to get sorted ideally.
Gary
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any good?

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/restricting-admin-access-for-a-user-to-only-edit-one-page
Balling
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what you want to do:

http://blog.gaijindesign.com/wordpress-creating-an-admin-with-restricted-access/
or
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

[Edited on 11-02-2013 by Balling]

Whittie

11th Feb 13 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, cheers lads. What about HTML sites within dreamweaver without wordpress though? I have clients with SEO contracts, and i've had much better results without wordpress.
Gary
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Charge them to train them in DW for a couple of hours
Balling
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And to answer your initial question. From my experience there's no open source CMS that better does this.

I've tried a few of the other CMS's out there, including extensive use of Umbraco and Joomla and they're simply not as good or user friendly as Word Press, so I'd stick with that.

Balling
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Fair enough, cheers lads. What about HTML sites within dreamweaver without wordpress though? I have clients with SEO contracts, and i've had much better results without wordpress.
That's always going to be a bitch. I'd definitely say that you need to inform your clients that non-CMS sites are not updatable by the end user and either have them on flat rate or charged by the hour for edits.

Sites that need to be regularly updated will always be better off with some form of CMS.

Balling
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Would not recommend this. Before you've left the building they've changed all fonts to Comic Sans and put animated GIF's as the wallpaper leaving you with a 1992 style website on your portfolio.

Whittie

11th Feb 13 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary

Knowing my luck, i'd install it on their computer using a dodgy serial and it's a policeman. I could use notepad++ but they won't see what it visually looks like...

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
And to answer your initial question. From my experience there's no open source CMS that better does this.

I've tried a few of the other CMS's out there, including extensive use of Umbraco and Joomla and they're simply not as good or user friendly as Word Press, so I'd stick with that.

Fair enough, they seem to have a pretty good following now (wp).

A local hotel want a quote for a website, and 12 month SEO contract, however they must be able to update news content. I'm not as good or knowledgeable with SEO in wordpress and can't guarentee results like a standard built site, so really looking for some kind of CMS that allows me to edit the text on the page they're on. There must be something?

[Edited on 11-02-2013 by Whittie]
Whittie

11th Feb 13 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
That's always going to be a bitch. I'd definitely say that you need to inform your clients that non-CMS sites are not updatable by the end user and either have them on flat rate or charged by the hour for edits.

Sites that need to be regularly updated will always be better off with some form of CMS.

This is what i've done for years though, example; there's a plumber in Liverpool who just wanted a website, so he could have an email address and people can find his number if they google him online. He's not bothered about the content or keeping it up to date. Asked him every year if he wants updates etc, he declines, last year I redesigned it as it looked tired.
Balling
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 10:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

A local hotel want a quote for a website, and 12 month SEO contract, however they must be able to update news content. I'm not as good or knowledgeable with SEO in wordpress and can't guarentee results like a standard built site, so really looking for some kind of CMS that allows me to edit the text on the page they're on. There must be something?
Yeah, the widespread use of WP has only made it better and made more and better content available. Doesn't seem like long since using WP for anything than a blog was a bit of a hassle.

I don't see why SEO should be an issue with WP to be honest. You just need to follow the same basic rules as with a regular site. Isn't long since there was a thread on here about good SEO rules. Rules which apply to any site independent of the CMS used.

Balling
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
This is what i've done for years though, example; there's a plumber in Liverpool who just wanted a website, so he could have an email address and people can find his number if they google him online. He's not bothered about the content or keeping it up to date. Asked him every year if he wants updates etc, he declines, last year I redesigned it as it looked tired.
Yeah, that's exactly the case where a CMS is a waste. Explain this type of limitation to future clients and it's easy for them to decide whether they want to pay for a CMS or potential updates to the site.

Whittie

11th Feb 13 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Yeah, the widespread use of WP has only made it better and made more and better content available. Doesn't seem like long since using WP for anything than a blog was a bit of a hassle.

I don't see why SEO should be an issue with WP to be honest. You just need to follow the same basic rules as with a regular site. Isn't long since there was a thread on here about good SEO rules. Rules which apply to any site independent of the CMS used.

I just have own ways for SEO in html sites, and i've done a few sites in wordpress not gaining results as quickly. So must be some kind of difference.

There must be some kind of html editor for a news page or similar?
Brett
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 11:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could deffo get some kind of simple CMS editor to change details on a news page like you're after.

Could go for something stupidly simple like Pico then all they do is dump their news in a text file on the server, couldn't be easier. Would just need tweaking to suit.
Balling
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I just have own ways for SEO in html sites, and i've done a few sites in wordpress not gaining results as quickly. So must be some kind of difference.

There must be some kind of html editor for a news page or similar?
Own ways for SEO?
Google are constantly improving so it might just be that lately boosting page ranking has worked more slowly!?

I've been in the same situation with a simple way to edit just the text content of one page. The only solution I've thought out is using an iframe to display an external HTML document and have all the editing take place there.
To be fair it's a messy solution and I wouldn't recommend it. Still requires the editor to know basic HTML, but a list of tags would be sufficient explanation.

There are solutions like http://www.simplecms.com/ and similar software to be installed on the page, but from what I know it does more damage than good.

Whittie

11th Feb 13 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Could deffo get some kind of simple CMS editor to change details on a news page like you're after.

Could go for something stupidly simple like Pico then all they do is dump their news in a text file on the server, couldn't be easier. Would just need tweaking to suit.

That Pico Cms looks perfect mate! What tweaking would it need though?

quote:
Originally posted by BallingOwn ways for SEO?
Google are constantly improving so it might just be that lately boosting page ranking has worked more slowly!?

I've been in the same situation with a simple way to edit just the text content of one page. The only solution I've thought out is using an iframe to display an external HTML document and have all the editing take place there.
To be fair it's a messy solution and I wouldn't recommend it. Still requires the editor to know basic HTML, but a list of tags would be sufficient explanation.

There are solutions like http://www.simplecms.com/ and similar software to be installed on the page, but from what I know it does more damage than good.

Yeah, call me crazy for not doing things step by step from a book or guide... but can't argue with results mate

Just looked at simplecms, don't see any demo or anything, which is annoying. Have you used it before, how would it cause damage?
Balling
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah, call me crazy for not doing things step by step from a book or guide... but can't argue with results mate

Just looked at simplecms, don't see any demo or anything, which is annoying. Have you used it before, how would it cause damage?
I didn't imply you were doing it wrong, only curious as to which methods would only work on sites without CMS.

Haven't used SimpleCMS, but used a piece of software (which I can't find) that did precisely the same a year or two back. Designed a site in basic HTML and ran a bit of code, which made the whole page in to a CMS. On the surface it was pretty cool. You go to yourpage.com/admin and all elements were immediately editable on the page it self. No backend, just a graphic overlay on the actual page.
In reality the resulting code was a big mess though, and browser consistency was nonexistent.

Once I did decide to edit something in the HTML it majorly fucked the layout up and the only real way to edit bigger elements was to go back to scratch and re-run the code.

Balling
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually what I used looks pretty much exactly like Pico...

Brett
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett

That Pico Cms looks perfect mate! What tweaking would it need though?

Haven't really looked mate, but on the most part I assume just making a theme to suit the site you're doing. More of a case of it could be done if you so chose to, just a matter of choosing the execution.
pow
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 13:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you just use PHP and call txt files? We do that here at the school
Nismo

11th Feb 13 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a brief play with http://www.concrete5.org and found it to be quite nice / easy to use and setup.
DaveyLC

11th Feb 13 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always use Wordpress and for more bespokey stuff I use Joomla (the API is pretty powerful).
DaveyLC

11th Feb 13 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Can you just use PHP and call txt files? We do that here at the school

Considering you are like 10 years younger than me Mr Pow you are extremely old school! first VB.Net and now flat file databases.. See that is what the public sector does to people

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll