corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.0 to 1.6 conversion

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.0 to 1.6 conversion
corsaben58

User status: Offline
4th Feb 13 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello all, question might of been asked a thousand times but thought i would ask... my friends thinking of doing a 1.0 to 1.6 conversion is it a good idea to use the f20 gearbox on the 1.6 engine also to my knowledge its a simple bolt in plug ecu and away you go would i be right in thinking this?

any advice would be appreciated cheers
1L Nick

4th Feb 13 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not as easy as u may think for starters u will need to change the dash loom because the ecu ports on the 1L an 1.2 16v r different to the 1.6 16v ecu (u will need a 1.2 8v dash loom). other then that yes its just fit one engine to the other. An no the f20 is to high a ratio I'd recommend a f15 if he wants top end speed or a f13 (which he has on the 1L anyway) if he is after acceleration.
Linch

4th Feb 13 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You dont need to change dash looms. You can pull the wires back inside the car and connect them as normal.
corsaben58

4th Feb 13 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so is that as you would do for the redtops? also how hard is it to put the rev counter clocks on to a corsa just a simple swap over?
1L Nick

4th Feb 13 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clocks are just interchangeable . Ermm not to sure on redtops tbh.

An he will need to change dash loom because that's wat Iam doin with my 1L to 1.6 conversion cuz the ecu plugs on each ecu r different
shaunmods
Premium Member

4th Feb 13 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The first thing you need to think about with this conversion is what type of steering rack setup you want to use and what you want to do in terms of wiring as its not plug and play as said above. What spec model is your mates car?

If its a higher spec one with electric power steering and you want to keep it u keep you will need to use an aux belt setup from an early pre 97 corsa b 1.4 16v SRI or Sport model. You would need the drivers side engine mount, tensioner, alternator mount and belt. If you keep the electric power steering you will have to modify your existing dash board loom in order to wire in the new engine loom as the EPAS wiring is built into the dash board loom so you cant swap it for a plug and play loom.

Heres a link to a tutorial on how to use this method -

http://web.archive.org/web/20060822043934/http://www.smallblockxe.com/1_2-1_6_con.htm

The other option you have (the best option in my opinion) would be to convert it to a hydraulic power steering setup. This therefore means that because you will be removing the electric power steering setup you can change the dash loom for a plug and play one. It also means you dont have the hassle of trying to source the rare aux belt setup from an SRI which are like hens teeth these days.

To fit it into a 1.0 shell you'll need -

- Drivers side engine mount
- Engine wiring loom
- ECU, transonder and key chip
- Drive shafts
- Radiator
- Full Corsa 1.4/1.6 16v exhaust system
- Full hose setup
- 16v dash board dials

corsaben58

5th Feb 13 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate ill speak to him tommorow pretty sure hes gona have epas tho and he isnt gona really want to swap it :\ but ill speak to him if he doesnt what do you mean you cant use the normal dash loom? as far as im aware i would be stripping out the old engine and wiring loom then putting in the new engine and wiring loom pluggin in the ecu and away you go..(knew about the transponder and key chip) we got the radiator, pipes, dials, exhaust and drive shafts
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

5th Feb 13 at 05:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1L Nick
Clocks are just interchangeable . Ermm not to sure on redtops tbh.

An he will need to change dash loom because that's wat Iam doin with my 1L to 1.6 conversion cuz the ecu plugs on each ecu r different

you have not looked it up properly mate, do a little research its just a case of chopping wires and colour coding them. Ive just finished a 1.0 to 2.0 conversion and have done a 1.4 to 2.0 conversion also. No dash loom needs replaced just causing a little too much hassle for yourself.
corsaben58

5th Feb 13 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah when i did a 2.0 i dont remember having to take the dash loom out so was confused so is the 1.0 to 1.6 gona be the same chopping wires and color coding or is it just plug and play?
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

6th Feb 13 at 05:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same chopping mate just need to pull the wiring from the engine bay into the footwell like you would have with the 2.0
bazzaa

6th Feb 13 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you's a f15 had the f13 on mine good bottem end shit up top
corsaben58

6th Feb 13 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers bazza i think thats the route we were going down anyway now and cheers stoney that doesnt seem too difficult then found out hes got no power steering or anything so means less wires and messing about :L

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.0 to 1.6 conversion 22 database queries in 0.0088890 seconds