corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Steve's full engine rebuild plus more (c20let)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Steve's full engine rebuild plus more (c20let)
Steve jordan

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 13 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Though it was about time I chuck up a thread as ive been collecting a few parts etc. Ive been out the game far due to a few personal problems and working stupid hours and also planning a wedding all my time and money has been taken up.

Anyway the aim is to fully rebuild a let engine with a few nice bits in it like oil squirters steel rods and low comp pistons etc in order to have a reliable but powerfull spec engine. Turbo wise im going to go down the route of the evo again as ive seen a few people using these and with good results.

First up was to find a decent block/bottom end, after a few weeks of trying to find one locally that i could go and see i found 2 miles down the road selling a complete early 20xe bottom end which had only covered 11000 miles (yeah right) so went to have a look and was amazed by hoe clean all parts were

noticed the block face had a slight bit of damage to it but nothing to worry about as its right on the outside.

The pistons that came out were in very good condition needless to say they sold very quickly

Took the crank out and was nice to see its in good condition and all measures up to be standard so a polish will be fine.

Once was all stripped down a phone call to sbs and i was on my way down to drop my block off for underpiston oil squirters fitted, decked,honed,oil return tapped and for it to have a good clean up.
whilst steve is doing all my machining etc ill be sending him my pistons so he can lower the comp on them.
Its going to be a bit of a slow build so ill update when i collect more parts and when i havnt spent all my money on the wedding.
Been gathering a few a few parts for when i get the block back from sbs.
Glyco mains and bigends,

Also bought a oil return for the block 1/2bsp.
These came up nice and cheap so couldnt really say no...
Picked up a nice clean set of piston pins and a early backing plate from craig s, Thanks mate!

And arp mains which also came up at a good price.

also went down to see the one and only dewisgaymotorsport and craig for a curry, while i was there i got adam to knock me up a baffled sump, nice work mate!

Thought it was about time i actually started doing some work on this so decided to give my z20let oil pump a good clean up, started off with knicking the washing up bowl filled with petrol and gave it a good clean up.

Once all was cleaned and dry I then masked it up gave it a little heat and started to give it a few coats of paint

Once it went tacky I took it inside and hung it over a radiator.
Finished result.

Should be collecting my block from sbs end of month so once back ill get the bottom end built up hopefully. Once the wedding is out the way I'll be cracking on with the head, im going for complete overhaul and with uprated kent single springs from sbs aswell as all gasket seals etc..
Thats it for now chaps.

[Edited on 03-02-20Went to vauxhall today bought a new old stock early xe water pump, as it had been sat in the shelf a good time thy offered it to me at a seriously reduced price so couldn't really say no

Also went and saw a mate asked him if he could make up a z20let modded pickup pipe for me, I supplied him a standard zlet pipe mainly for the flange and also had a c20let pipe just for the basket. After a couple if hours he came up with this

Well happy with how this turned out, and for the price of a curry I couldn't really moan.
Bit of a update, had some bits turn up from Autovaux, Mahle bigends,main bearings,piston rings,xe oil pump seal, xe rear main seal, oil pump to block gasket and oil pickup pipe seal. Must say there prices are very respectable.

Went and collected my block from steveboyslim he fitted under piston oil squirters, decked , honed, oil return tapped and gave it a good clean.

Not even the slightest of lips on the bores so its a very good 86mm .
Once I'd left Steve's I set about going to see corsa Mitch where I picked up my cylinder head, it had the porous mod done which is a nice added bonus but its had a few skimms in the past so ill sort this out with a 1.9 cometic nearer the time.

May try and get the crank fitted the weekend at some point.
Got out in the garage for a couple if hours yesterday so I thought I'd make a start on build it all up. Started off by running a tap down the threads before I fitted the main studs.

Once all threads we all clean I have them a good spray with some brake cleaner and blew all holes out with a airline, then fitted all studs hand tight with the smallest dabs of loctite. Then placed in the main shells with a good coating of lubricant.
Collected my crank off a mate which had been fully cleaned and polished

lowered into place with the rear seal fitted.
Then made sure all main caps were completely clean then fitted with bearings and set about torqueing the nuts down to 20-40-60 lbft.
Once all torqued down I set about fitting the zlet oil pump, started off by fitting the front oil seal
Then gave both serfices a dab of sealer before fitting

Also got the water pump fitted but forgot to take a picture.
Was a good few hours work
Should get chance to gap piston rings and fit pistons today along with fit the baffle plate and sump.

[Edited on 03-02-2013 by Steve jordan]

[Edited on 03-02-2013 by Steve jordan]
Mark B

3rd Feb 13 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good What's it going in??
Steve jordan

3rd Feb 13 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The intentions were to put it into a nova but a decent one is few and far between so it will go in a corsa probably...

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Steve's full engine rebuild plus more (c20let) 23 database queries in 0.0089681 seconds