corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Tablets.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tablets.
daymoon
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Jan 13 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Want to get my dad a tablet for his 50th Birthday.

Been offered a "SONY XPERIA TABLET S 16GB WI-FI 9.4" INCH SGPT121GB" one.

Any one had any experiences with them?

Should I look at Ipads instead? It would just get used for watching films when travelling, browsing internet and that's it really.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

20th Jan 13 at 15:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ipads are shite if you acquire films.
Balling
Premium Member

20th Jan 13 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whether to go for Android or iPad depends on your dad, I'd say.

If he's used to computers and is quite tech savvy he might find the iPad too restrictive and have a hard time adjusting to the Apple doctrine. This was the case with my old man.
If he isn't used to computers, then the iPad goes a long way of holding his hand and the Android system might seem confusing and complex. This was the case with my father in law.

As for which tablet to get, there's thousands of Android tablets in almost any price range, so read up on the reviews before buying.

daymoon
Premium Member

20th Jan 13 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Whether to go for Android or iPad depends on your dad, I'd say.

If he's used to computers and is quite tech savvy he might find the iPad too restrictive and have a hard time adjusting to the Apple doctrine. This was the case with my old man.
If he isn't used to computers, then the iPad goes a long way of holding his hand and the Android system might seem confusing and complex. This was the case with my father in law.

As for which tablet to get, there's thousands of Android tablets in almost any price range, so read up on the reviews before buying.

My dad is the techy guy (software developer previously).

So I think that points towards Android.

This particular tablet I was offered by a friend who basically won it but has no use for it.

kz

20th Jan 13 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surface Pro comes out later this month
Bart

20th Jan 13 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz

Most likely will be out of his price range.

I would say iPad personally.
deano87

20th Jan 13 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be careful with some of the cheaper Android tablets as often the screen resolution is a bit shite.

I was in HMV at Christmas, they had some 7" tablets worth circa £120 vs. the Asus Nexus 7" at £200. Ice Cream Sandwich vs Jelly Bean also, so not a million miles away.

£120 screen looked shocking. Dull, pixelated, not great at all.

I'd look at the Nexus 10" or Samsung equivalent tbh.

Also depends what phone he has. If he has an iPhone, everything will sync nicely with an iTablet. If Android phone, go Android tab.
daymoon
Premium Member

20th Jan 13 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Be careful with some of the cheaper Android tablets as often the screen resolution is a bit shite.

I was in HMV at Christmas, they had some 7" tablets worth circa £120 vs. the Asus Nexus 7" at £200. Ice Cream Sandwich vs Jelly Bean also, so not a million miles away.

£120 screen looked shocking. Dull, pixelated, not great at all.

I'd look at the Nexus 10" or Samsung equivalent tbh.

Also depends what phone he has. If he has an iPhone, everything will sync nicely with an iTablet. If Android phone, go Android tab.

He has an Android phone. Screen resolution is quite important I would have to say.
The Sony I was offered is priced @£300 on Amazon...

quote:
Originally posted by kz

It's not really a tablet though, is it..

John

20th Jan 13 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surface is a tablet.
kz

20th Jan 13 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The page title is... 'Surface by Microsoft, Buy the New Windows Tablet'

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb
daymoon
Premium Member

20th Jan 13 at 23:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Surface is a tablet.

I would call it an Ultrabook.

At £399 it's not out of my price range(don't know how any one would know how much I can spend).

I just don't really see the point of it if you have a PC.

The only reason I asked about the Sony(Which is cheaper) because I can buy one(still in original packaging/never booted) of my friend.

I was thinking about the Galaxy tablet before that. I know some one that has one and is really happy with it and I used it. I just want some first hand reviews and whether Sony is good or not.

[Edited on 20-01-2013 by daymoon]
John

20th Jan 13 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its definitely not a very good suggestion for what you want but its still a tablet. You would be incorrect to call it an ultrabook.
noshua

20th Jan 13 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Android? Nexus 7 or 10.
evilrob
Premium Member

21st Jan 13 at 00:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For watching (legitimately sourced) films, a retina-display toting iPad can't be beat for battery life and making your eyes happy in my experience. It's a pain in the arse to play ripped stuff on it though.

My dad is an ex-software developer (used to work for WordPerfect, amongst others) and Android pisses him off no end; back in the day he'd be rooting that motherfucker and stripping all the stuff he didn't want out before he did anything else, but now he's got to that age where he just wants things to work and can't be arsed to fuck about with them any more.

That Sony tablet is guff - looks the tits, but it's got a creaky old version of Andoid, poo battery life and the screen is pants.

[Edited on 21-01-2013 by evilrob]
LeeM

21st Jan 13 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just install a media player, i have flex:player. can drag and drop any video file into the app window on itunes and it plays fine.

[Edited on 21-01-2013 by LeeM]
LeeM

21st Jan 13 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but based on the first review i found here; http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/sony-xperia-tablet-s-1093685/review
i wouldnt bother
Stuart H

21st Jan 13 at 01:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a Samsung galaxy note 10.1 can't fault it , had an iPad and an iPhone 4S then changed to an s3 and the note. Prefer android by a mile.
A2H GO

21st Jan 13 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob - CineplayerX will play most stuff, no conversion needed just drag and drop onto the iPad.

Can't beat an iPad for all round price vs performance. Nexus 10 is next best if you can get one. Wouldn't even entertain anything else, maybe Surface Pro when it hits.

As a software developer I'd imagine Android will piss him off no end.

New Poll