corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How big is the difference between a slick tyre & R888/A048

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How big is the difference between a slick tyre & R888/A048
birchieboy

User status: Offline
19th Jan 13 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For people who have tried out both on thier track car, how big is the difference in grip level, corner speed and tyre wear?

just out of interest
AK

19th Jan 13 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a lot will depend on your suspension setup.

To really use a slick properly you really need a firm caged chassis with decent suspension, and geometry setup.

Simply chucking slicks on a normal road car will make it better on track but you'll burn up the outside edges in no time.

Same story with semi-slicks to a much lesser extent.

i.e turning them blue on the outside edge due to tucking under / overheating. Camber is needed.

A semi slick (eg Medium GG R888) will be much better suited to a trackday car. They heat up quicker and will last well for 10 laps or so on a ~1200kg car with something like 300bhp. They do suffer when overheated though, and will lose grip with more and more heat cycles.

Slicks are seen as a budget trackday option (second had from BTCC etc) . Compound depending they will take about 4laps to get up to temp and tend to last longer (amount of laps in session) before going 'off' through heat.

Grip = slick, when used properly
Corner Speed - slick, when used properly and up to temp
Wear = Slick if use properly.

We have NEVER thrown track tyres out through wear though... always because they simply have no usefull life left to give (heat cycles). They would still be ok for general trackday use though.

Downside of slicks is that you cant drive to / from events, or even use safely on wet tracks (which in the UK should be a factor)

[Edited on 19-01-2013 by AK]
AK

19th Jan 13 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of the comments regarding slicks will com down to COMPOUND.

Example:

Fee ran Pirelli Med/Hard slicks last year and I ran well worn R888. We raced together and I would have a clear advantge from the grid start untill about 2-3 laps into the race. Once the slick tyres cars had decent temps them could use all their power more efficently and simply bugger off up the road
birchieboy

19th Jan 13 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
A lot of the comments regarding slicks will com down to COMPOUND.

Example:

Fee ran Pirelli Med/Hard slicks last year and I ran well worn R888. We raced together and I would have a clear advantge from the grid start untill about 2-3 laps into the race. Once the slick tyres cars had decent temps them could use all their power more efficently and simply bugger off up the road

haha thanks for the info AK, very useful.

Ive always wondered as to 'how much better' they would be over a semi slick.

My 888's are like a switch, e.g lap 12 will be good grip, lap 13 terrible, like they go off the edge of a cliff.

Might be something to try later on after a few more tweeks and track time
AK

19th Jan 13 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We can get about 2 laps Full on in the GTR before 888's turn to mush... about 4-5 in the Impreza.

Paul_J

19th Jan 13 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AK you should try Dunlop Direzza 03g's.

The R888s on the integra would over heat quite early on and just get worse.

The Dunlop Direzza's seemed to last a lot longer before overheating and losing a lot of grip
AK

19th Jan 13 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what I want to get for Fee - TimeAttack. Did the lack any initional (cold) grip compared to the 888s or take much longer to get heat into them?

We've got a bizzare selection of tryes to choose from

3 sets 255/40/17 worn 888s
1 brand new set 255/40/17 R888s
a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups - I'll use for MSA1B races - harding wearing, better lasting
Couple of sets of TA control Pirellis from 2011 :S
4x dunlop slickes
4x pirelli slicks
4x pirelli wets - AWESOME!

And I fancy a set of the Dunlops for the GTR

[Edited on 19-01-2013 by AK]
Paul_J

20th Jan 13 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They took slightly longer to get to temp, but only in the sense that I maybe had to do half a lap before they were fully gripping - it wasn't long.

I could do with some semi slicks for my s2000... 17's... 215 or 225 front and 245 rear.

Any idea of places where I can get them cheap? Otherwise i'm on the hunt for some part worn ones as I'm only really wanting them for the odd track session or nurburg trip.
AK

20th Jan 13 at 05:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Federals seem to be the budget semi slick option for now... unsure if they are any use though
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jan 13 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My r888's lasted about 12,000 miles and that includes 2/3 trackdays before they started to give up the grip, but i guess thats benifits of a light car.
AK

20th Jan 13 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

baff.... thats LASTING in terms of tread though?!?! We never see them through to the canvas, but sell them on when they are still road legal.

They are pretty much gone at this point... no grippy life to give after a lap or two

I think Fee used 3 sets in 2010.... 2 events (TA style so not hugely heavy on tryes like a 10-12lap race) and they are pretty much lacking in grip.
FlamingCorsa

20th Jan 13 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had few different types of tires. . .

On my clio 197 use Hancock v12 for road, they are also fun on track, car moves about quite a lot so fun. But soon get they overheating in few laps if its dry. Clio works great on yoko a048, really great grip and never had them start to loose grip even after loads of heat cycles but could be cos its only 200hp so not getting them really really hot.

As for the van, had 18inch r888 and they were really good in all conditions. Since then i have tired part worn clio cup slicks , 200 width slicks which were beta but after 2 track days on third track day they were well over the edge and even with beta suspension set up the clio was out handelling the van on its semi slicks. I did have the slicks down to canvas tho, lol

Went to part worn btcc slicks then which is best I have used so far, done 2 track days and still looking pretty good, think one more track day and they will be dead.

My brother has a pretty standard r26 megane, he just put slicks on cos it's cheaper then getting semi slicks, they grip really well even with normal suspension to be fair.
AK

20th Jan 13 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no issues with oil starvation on these tyres?

I've been through 4 Impreza engines and 3 GTR through oil surge on semis/slicks

min....
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

20th Jan 13 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His slicks on the R26 will be fucked quicker they dont run enough camber standard. There is a set of Leda on ebay atm that will sort it out!
FlamingCorsa

20th Jan 13 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
no issues with oil starvation on these tyres?

I've been through 4 Impreza engines and 3 GTR through oil surge on semis/slicks

min....

Bro only done 2track days with slicks, van has done 2 on btcc slicks, 3-4 on clio slicks and prob 4-5 on semi slicks and engine ok to date.
FlamingCorsa

20th Jan 13 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
His slicks on the R26 will be fucked quicker they dont run enough camber standard. There is a set of Leda on ebay atm that will sort it out!

He Did donny gp on them and anglesy and they till seem fine, he has got h&r springs now, he didn't want to go down coilovers route cos its just he normal road car only spending little of its time on track.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How big is the difference between a slick tyre & R888/A048 22 database queries in 0.0095100 seconds