corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » misting/condensation after new windscreen fitted.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author misting/condensation after new windscreen fitted.
Ben G

User status: Offline
1st Jan 13 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got my new windscreen fitted 2 weeks ago, all seemed fine.

Left the car for a week whilst I was away over christmas and came back to a completely misted up windscreen.

I put the heaters on in the car to clear it, but the same thing has been happening every night since friday.

Even if I drive the car 10 miles and leave it for a couple of hours, the screen will be misted up when I come back to it.

If I touch the inside of the screen, it is very wet.

could the fitter not have put enough sealant on when fitting it? It used to mist up very occasionally, but only in the place where it had a small.crack. Now its the whole screen even though it's brand new.
Mattb

1st Jan 13 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do the carpets feel wet?
Ben G

1st Jan 13 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not as far a I know. Just the windscreen.
Rich H

1st Jan 13 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They have a seal as well as being bonded iirc don't they? May have fitted the seal slightly wrong or re-used the original one which now isn't such a good fit?
Steve
Premium Member

1st Jan 13 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt sound airtight
pow
Premium Member

1st Jan 13 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just had a windscreen on the mito and the same happened for a week or so after, seems to be fine now though...
Rich H

1st Jan 13 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I've just had a windscreen on the mito and the same happened for a week or so after, seems to be fine now though...

Do you have climate / A/C on all the time? If you do that dries the air out - could have been just down to having it fitted on a day when the air was damp though in your case though.
Ben G

1st Jan 13 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He did fit a new seal out of the packet but will check it tomorrow and see if it's damaged at all.

Just been out in the car and it was dripping wet at the bottom left of the screen.

It's so wet it's pulled my tax disc holder off.
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Jan 13 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

May also be the surface of the glass is attracting condensation.

Not sure if you can leave the vents open or if there's any other way to let water out.

Mine does it if the inside of the car gets wet.
corsav6_mut

1st Jan 13 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The trim around the glass makes no difference most likely a gap in the glue, air bubble etc
Mattb

1st Jan 13 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id say its possibly not sealed properly
pow
Premium Member

1st Jan 13 at 21:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Do you have climate / A/C on all the time? If you do that dries the air out - could have been just down to having it fitted on a day when the air was damp though in your case though.

Yes, exactly what I thought! My AC is on non stop as I have the climate on auto.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

1st Jan 13 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All of our cars round the back that haven't been used much over the hols have thick condensation in the windows.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ben G

2nd Jan 13 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would expect some condensation after a period of no use, but I was in my parents' house for 2 hours tonight. I left the car with a clear windscreen and when I got back in it, the whole passenger side was completely misted over, with condensation at the bottom.

That can't be right
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Jan 13 at 06:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that's a bit much like.
Whittie

2nd Jan 13 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weird, i've had mine done for around 2 weeks and this keeps happening too, assumed it was the weather
Fro

2nd Jan 13 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is your pollen filter dry/free from being in contact with water? Had a wet one before which caused a lot of condensation.
tom130691
Premium Member

2nd Jan 13 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fro
Is your pollen filter dry/free from being in contact with water? Had a wet one before which caused a lot of condensation.

could be worth sticking a de-humidifier in there for a few hours then see if it does it again
Nismo

2nd Jan 13 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speak with the supplier / fitter, wasnt doing it before so in a position to enquire.
jr

3rd Jan 13 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it a geniune BMW supplied screen, if not i expect its a shocking fit and would lead to issues
Ben G

3rd Jan 13 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a pilkington one.

The first one they got was a shocking fit so they got another.

I just remember when he fitted it, it was dark and he quickly chucked on some sealant as it had started raining. He also commented on the previous screen (wrong one they fitted) was fitted too well.
Nismo

3rd Jan 13 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

call them, get them out to refit it in day light.

Ben G

3rd Jan 13 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I shall. Only problem once again is I work a 3 shift pattern, so finding daylight time is hard work.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » misting/condensation after new windscreen fitted. 23 database queries in 0.0146811 seconds