corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Compactish/DSLR discussion

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Compactish/DSLR discussion
John

User status: Offline
22nd Nov 12 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not expecting a clear cut answer here but basically looking to possibly get a new camera and having a bit of a dilemma.

I've got a 350D just now, I had it out recently and the pictures are still much better than most compacts, it's getting on a bit though.

I was originally looking at that fuji Doug and Balling have, the more I read into it though the more there seemed to be a lot of compromises with it.

There are loads of smaller camera's now with almost as good quality as a DSLR but range from a bit to a lot easier to carry about.

If it was a DSLR it would be a 650D, if it wasn't for portability I would pick this hands down.

Then there's the EOS-M, seems like something that will probably be better in it's second revision.

Technical marvels like the DSC-RX100, then there's the micro 4/3 and various other compacts with changeable lenses.

What's everyone else's thoughts on it?
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Nov 12 at 06:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are definitely compromises when going for the X10, but then that'll always be the case when going fixed lens over a system.

Which compromises that are made with the X10 have you decided you can't live with? Might make it easier to recommend something else.

Which lens do you typically use on the 350D?

Are we talking holiday or hobby photography?

andy1868

23rd Nov 12 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bought an X10 afew months ago, it has its advantages and disadvantages. I love its size and ergonomics, its a joy to use. In good light it produces excellent images, even when you turn the lights down abit it can still produce the goods to a certain extent. I'm abit ruined on this front though as my DSLR is really quite good in low light, it's not as good but i didn't think for a second it would be. As long as you don't "pixel peep" ie, look at images at 100% to check sharpness then you'll probably be very happy with it. I got into this habit with my SLR, something i've carried over to the X10, it doesn't always look great at 100% but perfectly fine at normally viewing sizes. It's an annoying habit that i can't seem to get out of

For me its a very good camera that i can carry everywhere. I always have it in my bag just in case, something i couldn't/wouldn't want to do with my SLR. I was also attracted to the fact that not only is the lens a cracker but i couldn't change it if i got an interchangeable system i knew i would plough hundreds into more lenses etc, this has got a decent range with decent aperture throughout so no need to change imo. The RX100 is meant to be very good too.

If i was buying something more compact and it was to be my only camera, it would probably be the Sony NEX range for me.

[Edited on 23-11-2012 by andy1868]
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Nov 12 at 10:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Canon G15 seems like a serious contender in the enthusiast compact class.

Not impressed with the RX100 at all. Looking at side-by-side comparisons is suffers a lot from soft corners as well as a flat contrast.
You have to pass ISO 800 to see a slight improvement in performance over the X10, but it's still outperformed by the smaller sensor of the G15.
Small aperture of the RX100 also means it'll be necessary to boost ISO more often and personally I find a huge gap in the aperture range to be a bitch to work with.

Obviously adding bulk and cost also adds performance.

You also have to consider not only which camera takes the best pictures but which you'd take the most with.

G15 will fit quite easily in a (jacket) pocket. There's no chance the NEX-5N will.

Balling
Premium Member

23rd Nov 12 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More importantly, at ISO1600 scaled down to a width of 1080px there's hardly any difference between the four.

Large pic

Quite impressed with the G15.

John

23rd Nov 12 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
There are definitely compromises when going for the X10, but then that'll always be the case when going fixed lens over a system.

Which compromises that are made with the X10 have you decided you can't live with? Might make it easier to recommend something else.

Which lens do you typically use on the 350D?

Are we talking holiday or hobby photography?

None that I couldn't live with, just the more I read reviews the more I was swaying back towards the dslr.

Swap between the kit 18-55 and the 50 prime normally, got a longer one as well but doesn't get that much use.

I've not been doing much at all recently, more hobby though.

I've wanted a new camera for a while, the non-favourable reviews of the 13" retina macbook have pushed it forward, I basically want to get a new toy.

Thought I would get a bit of discussion about it here, knowing there are various types of user.
whitter45

23rd Nov 12 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have the x10 as well as sony DSLR

the x10 for me has produced very good images - im my eyes anyway

its non intrusive - granted in the right conditions my DSLR gives better pictures but the hit rate is less

My x10 seems to perform very well all the time meaning I capture more of the moments - which i feel this sort of camera is for

check out my Maldives and house pics for some ideas of how they look

For the record all sony cameras I have ebery used are very soft in Jpeg format - they always require editting to make them look better
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Nov 12 at 14:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
None that I couldn't live with, just the more I read reviews the more I was swaying back towards the dslr.

Swap between the kit 18-55 and the 50 prime normally, got a longer one as well but doesn't get that much use.

I've not been doing much at all recently, more hobby though.
As I see it, the camera market is at a fantastic point where you actually get some amazing hardware almost throughout the budget range.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend and how you expect to use it.

For my use, the X10 was exactly what the doctor ordered. I might not get as good pictures as I would with a DSLR or mirrorless system, but I definitely get MORE photos, which I'm very pleased with.

John

23rd Nov 12 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The more photo's thing is drawing me, I'd definitely have a smaller one on me more.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Compactish/DSLR discussion 24 database queries in 0.0182421 seconds