corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Polycarbonate Windows

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Polycarbonate Windows
Aidan-Fleming

User status: Offline
28th Oct 12 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can anyone explain to me how you fit these windows in a Corsa B?
Dunno how to get the original class and the mechanisms out? Then how to fix the front windows.
I take it the 3 rear windows are sealed on and then pop riveted?
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 23:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easiest way to remove the 3 rear windows is to phone a local windscreen fitter and let him use his experience imo. Cost me £10 per window. As for the door windows, I can't remember exactly on the Corsas but it's usually wind the window down and it's screwed on along the bottom edge, undo the screws then lift the glass out back end first. The rest of the mechanism is usually just then bolted in although I've a feeling part of it might be riveted on the Corsas.

As for fitting, yeah the rear 3 are just seal and rivet, for the fronts I just slid mine up into the runners then riveted along the bottom edge to hold it in place.
Nic Barnes

29th Oct 12 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm hoping to just bond the rear and sides in as it looks very days of thunder when there are rivets all over the place.
Aidan-Fleming

29th Oct 12 at 02:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay thanks, that's helped alot!!

Yeah Nic totally agree, too much rivets look daft!!
iby

29th Oct 12 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have two doors with nothing in them, no mech, no windows and lightened if you want I can give them cheap to you. Need to get rid. You can then sell your own and keep these and just fit polycarbonate windows on?
Jed D

29th Oct 12 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pot rivets FTW man Nic

mine look gash as fuck, but they still do their job

when i got my rear one in i had a lot of bother, it wouldent stick using tigerseal and the likes of, then A1 windscreens (mobile windscreen service) turned up and he done it using all the proper gear. but then a few weeks later i noticed it was starting to come away and water was getting in the boot floor. maybe it doesnt stick well to the fibre glass or something, i dont know, but i got some slim bolts and washers, that fettled it, gangnam style

also, rear side windows, i magically came accross some plastic sheet that'd broken *cough* off a trolly shelter at a supermarket saved a few pennies
bigron1988

29th Oct 12 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you buy a proper kit from the likes of plastic 4 performance and not make them out of a bus shelter the rear 3 will bond in and look factory thats what i did to mine, the front ones i just pushed up into the rubber and put some self tappers in allong the bottom to hold them up

dont nut and bolt them in tho ,
Aidan-Fleming

29th Oct 12 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I seen that kits Ron, gonna buy it and see what it's like
bigron1988

29th Oct 12 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

possys just had the 3 rear windows of them and fitted , they look like the normal glass ones
Nic Barnes

29th Oct 12 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're a hell of a lot of cash compared to another place I got told about.
Mike
Premium Member

29th Oct 12 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
They're a hell of a lot of cash compared to another place I got told about.

Just their rear screen is more than twice what I paid for everything bar the windscreen on mine I'll stick with £50's worth of lexan off cuts and some exposed rivets tbh
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Oct 12 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not bus shelter windows, they use 3mm, Mikes is 4mm.

Aidan-Fleming

29th Oct 12 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.acwmotorsportplastics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15_55

Gonna get them from here
Mike
Premium Member

29th Oct 12 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a bit more realistic. Wonder if Dave knows they're using pics of his old car?
Jed D

29th Oct 12 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my rear one was a proper one from a company i think, it came with the boot off J200RSA...?

that's the one that wouldn't sit rite

...the trolly shelter stuff was much better to work with and stick
Nic Barnes

29th Oct 12 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
That's a bit more realistic. Wonder if Dave knows they're using pics of his old car?

was dave that mentioned the link to me so i hope so
Jed D

29th Oct 12 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Its not bus shelter windows, they use 3mm, Mikes is 4mm.

also the shelter stuff i used is 4mm im sure
Aidan-Fleming

29th Oct 12 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you guys recon i go for that kit yeah?
Jed D

29th Oct 12 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you got the money to blow why not mate
Aidan-Fleming

29th Oct 12 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decent! Seems cheaper than all the other kits out there!
djgritt
Premium Member

12th Nov 12 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Yeah I know it's there. I went to see Tony once I had the kit fully fitted as he hadn't done a Corsa with the options I went for...

Couldn't reccommend ACW enough, they were excellent. Very competitive price, very quick service, perfect fit parts, excellent aftersales and very knowledgable and helpful when it came to instructions. They are literally a family business, so small and friendly to deal with - think I spent about 45mins talking to them when I collected the kit from their workshops, and about 30mins talking to them at Combe when they took the pics for the site.

Will use them again in the future, when I buy something for a toy again.

Oh, and bit of a late post...
Aidan-Fleming

12th Nov 12 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
quote:
quote:

Yeah I know it's there. I went to see Tony once I had the kit fully fitted as he hadn't done a Corsa with the options I went for...

Couldn't reccommend ACW enough, they were excellent. Very competitive price, very quick service, perfect fit parts, excellent aftersales and very knowledgable and helpful when it came to instructions. They are literally a family business, so small and friendly to deal with - think I spent about 45mins talking to them when I collected the kit from their workshops, and about 30mins talking to them at Combe when they took the pics for the site.

Will use them again in the future, when I buy something for a toy again.

Oh, and bit of a late post...

Perfect!! Ill get these ordered
djgritt
Premium Member

12th Nov 12 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a Haynes manual for the removal of the front windows (I'm in Saudi, so don't have one to hand to post up the info)
They are fairly straightforward though.

I have a load of pics from fitting mine with a rough step-by-step sync to them too, I can have a look at posting them up later on if you want them?

Front windows are simple, require no bonder and as Mike has already mentioned, just needs a couple of rivet/bolt/screw supports at the base

Rear windows should ideally be bonded in - the rear screen can be a pain due to slight flex - on mine, I used both bonder & bolts. I bough the Edging/Bonding kit from ACW, but sourced my own Stainless Nuts/Caphead bolts.
They never leaked, Front or rear (other than a tiny bit on the slider holes which can't really be fully avoided), and the new owner was able to remove them easy enough without damage when he came to giving the car a dusting over and welding a Cage in.
Aidan-Fleming

12th Nov 12 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ooh I never thought of looking at my Hayes to remove windows haha!

Yeah that would be good if you could post photos but that info has helped!!
djgritt
Premium Member

14th Nov 12 at 10:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's been about 2 years, but I'll try to remember the steps for removing the windows... If not making much sense, use Haynes!

Remove Doorcard, Door pocket, handle, speakers (if fitted) etc;

Remove inner weather strip thing from the edge against the glass;

Remove 2x lower corner bolts and then also remove vertical support/guide bar;

Lower window until mechanism is halfway down the big gap bit at the bottom of the door;

Remove horizontal central support/guide bar;

Drill out 3 of 4x Pop Rivets securing the Motor assembly, this allowed the motor/linkage setup to move to gain access and slide off of the window rail IIRC;

Manouvere Glass from mechanism and the from car - upwards through the normal slot in the door, and then fully remove Motor/Linkages with removal of the 4th Pop Rivet;

Remove Slider assembly fully from main, formed sheet of Polycarb;

Fit Polycarb sheet in the reversed way that the original Glass was removed - once in the door, slot up fully into the upper window seal around the door frame, as far as it will go, all the way round - it will hold itself in place. TIP - before fitting, peel back some of the film on both the inside and outside of the Polycarb around the edge of the window (2 stick on films, one clear, one white) - this will save you having to try to do it once the window is in place;

Drill numerous small holes for Screws/Bolts as the base supports - I did this along the lip that is closest to the Polycarb once in place. I did 3 holes, and drilled to a size that a Screw would still cut it's own thread into the Poly to secure it;

Use fittings and then refit Weather strip. I notched it in 3 places to ensure it'd clear the fittings happily;

Rebuild Slider assembly and remove all remaining protective film whilst doing so/once complete - TIP - film will be on ALL parts, including the slider components (exc fittings), so do these as you go;

Admire the work;

Not a massive job, just getting the original windows out is the worst part, and it wasn't overly difficult either

[Edited on 14-11-2012 by djgritt]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll