corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Product photography - Small budget

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Product photography - Small budget
Whittie

User status: Offline
12th Oct 12 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doing a new website which will have ~1500 products. I'm individually taking pictures of each one in a certain format... and sticking to it over the whole website.
Format will be:

• 1 x Full Scale Image of the product
  • Image(s) of detailed parts of the product
  • All sides of the product
  • Macro / Close up and arty picture(s).

It's for my work, so will be swords, armour, clothing, rings, daggers, shields etc. So a massive variation in size and product type.
Current set up is:

• 2 X Flourescent lights
  • 1 X Flash
  • Nikon D50 or D300 / some olympus slr thing, dependant on what I'm using it for.
  • Glass - Standard kit lenses, will get a 50mm for the D300. What would be good for close up / macros on the cheap?
  • 2 x Light tents, 1 large, probably 4 foot or more, and 1 small at 2 foot.

Issues I have, some swords don't fit in the large tent, and the angle of the sword can be varied due to this. I want true pictures of the camera directly above each product, so there's no obscureties . Could even have the product being on(or against) the wall / upright, so I can keep each one uniform.

What alright tabletop tripods are there, also any floor ones that get lower than a standard tripod?

Was thinking of even making small jigs with the ease of cloning any of the metal from the jig out that would be holding or propping products upright.

Each product is physically cut in ps out and presented on a white background.

What are my options available then, as cheap as possible?

Thanks for any advice

[Edited on 12-10-2012 by Whittie]
Gaz

12th Oct 12 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a large office space, and lay this down:
http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product/calumet_arctic_white_2_72m_x_11m_seamless_background_paper/cs2793

then buy one of these ladders to get above the product and shoot through a runner
http://www.paintndecor.co.uk/ekmps/shops/newlandpaints/images/maxim_images_277[ekm]288x263[ekm].jpg

[Edited on 12-10-2012 by Gaz]
Whittie

18th Oct 12 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about shadowing of the ladder though? Ideally dont want any to contend with, lights will no doubt be taller than the ladder making it difficult to shoot.

Also a lot of the products will be oily so the white will some become the colour of shit unfortunately.

Know of any "low" tripods Mr Gaz?
Gaz

19th Oct 12 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you lit it correctly the you shouldn't get any shadows as you could light them from the side of a ladder.

I have a manfrotto tripod that can sit on the ground at the height of the head (not like the one I used to use when shooting with you previously) you can borrow if needed?
Rob E

19th Oct 12 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you only want to shoot on the floor then you can use a gorilla pod. Here is my camera on my dads gorillapod

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Product photography - Small budget 23 database queries in 0.0139451 seconds