corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » VW Golf GT TDI 150 - engine is back in!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author VW Golf GT TDI 150 - engine is back in!
daymoon
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Sep 12 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So,

After deciding I was spending too much money on tax, insurance and most importantly fuel,

Decided to replace my E39 530D with something else...

I knew I wanted a VAG 1.9TDi engine... Found few cars on eBay that required work.

Bid and won this though:

Only won it tonight. Will go and see the owner tomorrow and arrange the delivery for Monday hopefully.

Plan is to get it home, inspect the damage and most likely rip the engine out.

Anything after that will have to wait.

I am in no rush as I still got my BMW, but I want to get this on the road within a Month's time..

[Edited on 13-10-2012 by daymoon]
AlunJ

28th Sep 12 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks alright, how much dollar and whats up with it?
daymoon
Premium Member

28th Sep 12 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paid 1070 for it + 40 for recovery

Will need new engine most likely as block snapped a bit where engine mount bolts to the engine. I reckon it happened due to worn out engine mount...

Looks ok yes, will most likely replace the damaged door.. Slight scuff on the rear bumper but doesn't bother me..

^^ paid for the car, went to the garage where it was who arranged the recovery for me. I left before recovery guy came round. Went to Machine Mart and on the way back home realised I was behind my car
daymoon
Premium Member

28th Sep 12 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had a look through old paperwork and in 2009 the car had new camshaft, bearings and new belt at grand sum of £1059!!! There are bills totalling about £2500 over last few years for servicing and replacing bits and bobs.
Corsa_Sport21

28th Sep 12 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it just me, or does any1 else think that by the time you have fixed it up, you could have just bought 1 that dosn't require work, and saved alot of time, and possibly money??

Time you pay for an engine, possibly another camshaft kit as these 150 engine's are bad for wearing out the camshaft, its not really going to be a cheap car.

Is it damage recorded too??

I just can't help but think, over £1100 is ALOT for a Mk4 Golf with a fuked engine and bodywork issue's.
John

28th Sep 12 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First thing I thought was a grand for a golf that needs a new engine isn't exactly a good deal.
pow
Premium Member

28th Sep 12 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's too much for a Mk4 Golf with what is really an old and problem riddled TDI engine now
Christopher

28th Sep 12 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My step mum just sold her mk4 only 130k on the clock 1.8 gti with a few extra features for £2600 :/
Corsa_Sport21

28th Sep 12 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^ Thats crazy money. Seen quite a few (over on SVAG just now), with alot less miles, 1.8t GTi, with mods etc, for alot less than £2600.
Christopher

28th Sep 12 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty average considering they fair anywhere from 2k to 4k!? And it was mint inside and out!
corsasportsam

28th Sep 12 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate just sold his t reg gti with only 77,000 on clock and fully specced up for 1800 quid was a minter aswell with full history, coilovers,19" wheels and r32 bumper shame i coult afford it at time
Christopher

28th Sep 12 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guess it also plays a part on where you live! im from the south and cars down here are far more expensive than further north!
daymoon
Premium Member

28th Sep 12 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1) it's not too much. I sold a Y reg GT TDI (115) for £1650 and that was in poor condition. Sold it within 12 hours of advertising and had no end of calls.
2) Cannot buy a GT TDi 150 here for less than £2500 even a high miler.
3) Had new camshaft, bearings and followers at cost of exceeding £1000
Corsa_Sport21

29th Sep 12 at 06:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What use is that though if you are going to be changing the engine?? Or are you just going to change the bottom end??

GT TDi 150 not have full leather Recaro's??
daymoon
Premium Member

29th Sep 12 at 09:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
What use is that though if you are going to be changing the engine?? Or are you just going to change the bottom end??

GT TDi 150 not have full leather Recaro's??

just bottom end.

Might be able to rescue to block too. Americans to a bracket as cracked block is common in Usa
daymoon
Premium Member

5th Oct 12 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got to this stage with no engine crane

Just need a friend of mine to give me a hand putting the head back on and timing it up. Then Hire engine crane and re-fit the engine.
daymoon
Premium Member

5th Oct 12 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the way - old block is on the left hand side of last pic.

Took head off, block and then finally gearbox.

Hands are scratched to fcuk and plenty of oil on the ground
daymoon
Premium Member

13th Oct 12 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine is in!

On Wednesday morning I realised that there were few parts missing: engine mount ( there is 3 pieces), and most importantly new block has a different timing tensioner set up. So spent all Thursday looking for parts and ended up at Darkside development without knowing it

Sorted engine mount and cam belt cover for £15 which I think is very cheap.

Bought complete new timing belt kit from GSF and spent Friday setting up timing and re-fitting few other bits.

Set about fitting engine this morning:

9.30 AM

11 AM

Still loads to re-fit and bolt up. I just hope it fires up and drives OK as this is the most independent engine swap/build I have done.
Alex_Rally

13th Oct 12 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gonna need alot of cleaning after you have it working mate, there looks like everything is coated in oil lol
daymoon
Premium Member

13th Oct 12 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah will need a bit of a clean. Floor is a mess too.

Hoping to get it started tomorrow before work!
Simon_16v

14th Oct 12 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't like to think saw you how heavy those PD engines are! Think i saw you drive past me the other day too
daymoon
Premium Member

14th Oct 12 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simon,

Engine is bloody heavy!

Two of us had to lift the bottom end out of boot of car! I struggled to lift head out of engine bay!

daymoon
Premium Member

14th Oct 12 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In other news - the car runs

uploading video now!
Simon_16v

14th Oct 12 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You keeping this as a run around or selling on?
daymoon
Premium Member

14th Oct 12 at 11:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well original plan was to keep it and sell the BMW. Now I decided that I am going to sell both and buy an E90 320D

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » VW Golf GT TDI 150 - engine is back in! 23 database queries in 0.1046870 seconds