corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Can you put a VAG 1.8 t into a Corsa?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Can you put a VAG 1.8 t into a Corsa?
Pucci1

User status: Offline
22nd Jul 12 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello a friend has a 1.8 t engine , gearbox , loom, ecu, key transponder and key up for sale at a cheap price

So I was wondering can it fit in a Corsa b has anyone else done it before?

I hear ya now you saying get a redtop or let but it's been done so many times, let engine is very expensive as well so just looking
For a cheap alternative.

I have tried google

Thanks
karisma_corsa

22nd Jul 12 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any engine will go in with the right know how and skills
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

22nd Jul 12 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes.

Bloke I know has one in a MK2 Golf and a R5, will need custom made engine mounts etc but is do able.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Pucci1

22nd Jul 12 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the right know how that am trying to get I don't suppose either of you would know what gearbox or/and driveshafts/hubs I would need ? Also I guess I would use aftermarket management to get it running?
Mieran

22nd Jul 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheapest alternative is get a vag shell that this engine will bolt in
tom130691
Premium Member

22nd Jul 12 at 22:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

serious power can be had from these with few internal mods
ed

22nd Jul 12 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take a look at Mk I 1.8 conversions - they seem to lop the end of the wiring loom off at the ECU and use standalone management to save having to deal with the complex electronics.

You're going to need to assess where the engine mount points are in relation to the ones on the Corsa shell next. This might involve just hanging the engine in the bay and seeing what you need to chop up and weld to get it in place. I'm not sure if you need to get more scientific than that.

You will need custom driveshafts to fit VW CVs on the inners and Vauxhall ones on the outers. You might want to get your front suspension knuckles machined out so you can run CVs and hubs from an XE or LET Vauxhall too.

Then there's all the other jobs that you might not think about when you start - radiator, exhaust, gear shifter, e.t.c.
Pucci1

22nd Jul 12 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh seems am just doing all the home work at the moment, the mk1 golf and Corsa are both 1610mm wide so it does seem doable (spelling?)
dewismotorsport

23rd Jul 12 at 01:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you get your knuckles machined to take the Audi/VW bearing then you can just use standard VW/Audi hubs which then allows you to use the 1.8t driveshafts, an Ibiza is no wider than a corsa tbh also doing it that way you can either use Vauxhall or VAG wheels as they have the same pcd
taylorboosh

23rd Jul 12 at 06:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this sounds like it will go the same way my imp did, you will run out of knowhow, time and patience imo
Col004

23rd Jul 12 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont see why it wouldn't go in mate. My mates running one in a Clio 16v.
Just get the mounts sorted.. Adam has covered the driveshaft and hub issues above. Wiring woundn't be hard. I recon the gear linkage would be the only headache but could be worked out if thought about properly.

[Edited on 24-07-2012 by Col004]
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Jul 12 at 07:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Based on your questions I don't believe its possible for you to do, however it is possible.
Pucci1

23rd Jul 12 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Based on your questions I don't believe its possible for you to do, however it is possible.

Nonhelpful post is well.... Unhelpful

Thanks for everyones inputs I had a look at a golf mk1 width it's the exact same width as a Corsa b (1610mm iirc) so the 1.8t should go in without silly archs covering the wheels I guess lol.

The only thing I would need help with is the wiring any decent guides on megasquirt or would I be able to use te standard ecu as the vag boys reckon they are good for around 300bhp.

[Edited on 23-07-2012 by Pucci1]
ed

23rd Jul 12 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Standard ECU would probably end up being more pain that it's worth.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

23rd Jul 12 at 13:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Standard ECU would probably end up being more pain that it's worth.

Not really.

You can run standard ECU but you'll need pedals, clocks and the loom.
craig-dodd

23rd Jul 12 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mini with 1.8 turbo fitted

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/07/mini-quattro/
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Jul 12 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry to sound defeatest but you have already stumbled at some of the most basic hurdles, so I'm simply being realistic and saying I wouldn't waste time thinking about how you would do it and more about finding someone who can. It's not as straight forward for example of just measuring width and then saying well both cars are the same width therefore it will fit. He hubs could be in.a completely different place on a golf even if the car width is the same

[Edited on 23-07-2012 by Steve]
LeeM

23rd Jul 12 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pucci1
quote:

Nonhelpful post is well.... Unhelpful

Thanks for everyones inputs I had a look at a golf mk1 width it's the exact same width as a Corsa b (1610mm iirc) so the 1.8t should go in without silly archs covering the wheels I guess lol.

The only thing I would need help with is the wiring any decent guides on megasquirt or would I be able to use te standard ecu as the vag boys reckon they are good for around 300bhp.

[Edited on 23-07-2012 by Pucci1]

steves right, you dont have the necesary knowledge to do it.
and you keep banging on about the width of the car which is irrelevant, driveshafts and wishbones will determine where the wheels sit not the width of the engine.
baza31

23rd Jul 12 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To me it's a whole load of messing about and expense . Buy a bag with a blown engine if you want to put it to good use
Pucci1

23rd Jul 12 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok guys thanks for your inputs surely width would play a part so the wheels wouldn't stick our far but all the other guys information were helpful

Should be a interesting build I'll keep you posted on the progress for sure
tom130691
Premium Member

24th Jul 12 at 00:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check the track of a corsa against cars that have had them fitted.

elise, vw golfs,
3i_gaz

24th Jul 12 at 01:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think it would sit right in a corsa bay without having to have a cunt of a cutout or gash bonnet raisers.
LeeM

24th Jul 12 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pucci1
Ok guys thanks for your inputs surely width would play a part so the wheels wouldn't stick our far but all the other guys information were helpful

Should be a interesting build I'll keep you posted on the progress for sure

Wheels are attached to the hubs which attach to the car with wishbones and suspension, a wider engine or the width of the donor doesn't mean wider track on the original car. this alone shows you don't know enough to do the conversion yourself.
SetH

24th Jul 12 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I do not think Steve is trolling you at all. He is a very valid point.

For me your logic is flawed. You do not want to buy a LET as you deem them to be expensive yet you are willing to embark on a high risk project with many unknowns and that is a recipe for big bills.

Great to see someone wanting to do something different though and this is highly ambitious but I can see a LOT of pain and cost for you here.

Definitely a project where it would be useful to have a high level of engineering skill and the tools/know how to fabricate your own parts. If it becomes one where you have to keep writing cheques then you will regret not going down the LET route.
taylorboosh

24th Jul 12 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is the reason i failed on the gimp, it wasnt even mechanical know how like this guys seems to be..

it was time, money, tools and skill.. by this i mean use of cnc machines, bending tools and lathes etc.. to do it properly like the engine in the rear of beardys corsa you need a full proper work shop and the skills to use it. sure you could probably bodge it in, but that would be shit.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Can you put a VAG 1.8 t into a Corsa? 23 database queries in 0.0980480 seconds