corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » High mileage Civic Type R's

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author High mileage Civic Type R's
Norcy91

User status: Offline
28th Jun 12 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they capable of highish mileage? I know that if a cars looked after properly, then it should keep going forever theoretically, but i'm just wondering if it'd be worth the punt or not!

It's an 04 plate, so a facelift. It's got 104k miles, with full service history, the last being at 98k miles, so probably due a service pretty soon...
Seems in good condition for it's age and mileage, interior looks very tidy, no bolster wear on the seats etc.
It's untaxed, and they took it in as a part exchange, they've listed it at £3490 and are asking for offers on it.

Is it over priced? Or about right?
AndyCorsaSport

28th Jun 12 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Face lift 53 plate on trader for £3995 with 73k.

Or a 02 ore facelift with 79k for £3500. I'd rather get a year or two older car with less miles but that's just me.
Norcy91

28th Jun 12 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't really like the pre facelift ones, and there aren't any that are close to me that are anywhere near as cheap. Judging by them wanting people to make offers on it, they'd probably take a fairly low price for it as well
johnhara1

28th Jun 12 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they due a chain replacement at 100k miles? think i read that somewhere.

I would buy one with150k on it if it had history and ran well when i test drove it tbh.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Jun 12 at 23:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Find out the major component intervals and make sure you don't buy one which needs anything.
sc0ott

29th Jun 12 at 05:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mates got an anniversary edition and is on about 105k. It gets death everywhere, yet the vtec still pulls really strong.

I believe its got a good service history as well.
Corsa_Sport21

29th Jun 12 at 05:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport

Or a 02 ore facelift with 79k for £3500. I'd rather get a year or two older car with less miles but that's just me.

Face-lift on a 53 plate?? Thought they didn't get the face-lift till 2004??
dannyboy17

29th Jun 12 at 07:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

timing chains need doing at 100k, has it been done?
Baskey

29th Jun 12 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good choice, I bought my 04 facelift yesterday. I love the driving position. You can't chuck it round as well as my Clio and the steering is abit vague but overall I love it.

Sorry only pic iv got

Eck
Premium Member

29th Jun 12 at 08:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannyboy17

Timing chain is designed to out last the engine. It isn't even a part of the service schedule at any point I'm sure Could get the tensioners checked but again it shouldn't be an issue. Valve clearances are meant to be every 25k so find out if it had that done at the last service. 104k is fuckall on the engine. If maintained it'll double that with a good thrashing every hour of the day. Check the gears, if second is difficult the synchros are on the way out. Other than that I can't think of anything else off the top of my head apart from checking the oil level and making sure Vtec engages correctly.
Ash_EP3

29th Jun 12 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never heard anything about the timing chain being done @ 100k I was told the chain will outlast the engine!? I'll ask next time I'm @ Honda...
Baskey

29th Jun 12 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was quoted £80 by a Honda main dealer yesterday for valve clearance check / adjustment. For some reason I was expecting it to be more
Lee H

29th Jun 12 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine is on 115k and has been running at 250bhp for the last 40k of that. Uses very little oil and gets driven hard (some seem to use oil quite a bit).

However I had to get the timing chain done at 114k as it had stretched and timing was about a tooth out. Also the tensioner was at full travel so the chain was only going to get looser. Also had a clutch at about 110k but most seem to be done around the 70k mark.
3CorsaMeal

29th Jun 12 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh most engines last longer than the rest of the car, not ctr, just in general.

Its quite rare for people to lose their car due to an engine malfunction. Its the idiots who don't really look after cars and don't know what they are doing that end a cars life.

I remember there being a lot of talk about when doing the clutch alot of people do the flywheel as well on the CTRs.

Also when they say a timing chain lasts as long as the engine will. When the chain goes, then thats the life of the engine over. So in theory the statement is true

dannyboy17

29th Jun 12 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:

Timing chain is designed to out last the engine. It isn't even a part of the service schedule at any point I'm sure Could get the tensioners checked but again it shouldn't be an issue. Valve clearances are meant to be every 25k so find out if it had that done at the last service. 104k is fuckall on the engine. If maintained it'll double that with a good thrashing every hour of the day. Check the gears, if second is difficult the synchros are on the way out. Other than that I can't think of anything else off the top of my head apart from checking the oil level and making sure Vtec engages correctly.

my friend just bought one at 135,000 week later eml came on, took it to honda they said the timing chain had stretched and is ment to be changed at 100,000 miles
taylorboosh

29th Jun 12 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
I was quoted £80 by a Honda main dealer yesterday for valve clearance check / adjustment. For some reason I was expecting it to be more

Fuck I'll take my m3 there
Baskey

29th Jun 12 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's booked as a 45 min job
Baskey

29th Jun 12 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's different on an m3? Don't you just pop the rocker cover off and get the feeler gauges out?
CORSA NUT

29th Jun 12 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VTEC solenoid is also something I heard about?
richc

29th Jun 12 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport

Face-lift on a 53 plate?? Thought they didn't get the face-lift till 2004??

Possible if its early.
sc0ott

29th Jun 12 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:

my friend just bought one at 135,000 week later eml came on, took it to honda they said the timing chain had stretched and is ment to be changed at 100,000 miles

Probably just saying that to make the guy feel worse.
Eck
Premium Member

29th Jun 12 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye Having a look about I still can't see it anywhere on the service intervals.
3CorsaMeal

29th Jun 12 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate nearly ran his out of oil, vtec stopped worked.

Chucked some oil in and it still runs fine 3yrs later
3CorsaMeal

29th Jun 12 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he had to have a new clutch after he spent the evening practicing 6th gear launches
Eck
Premium Member

29th Jun 12 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That will happen. Vtec uses oil pressure to function! I love the amount of VTEC THIS stickers I see Fairly has a bad reputation for some reason.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » High mileage Civic Type R's 22 database queries in 0.0175459 seconds