corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Raspberry PI - Semi auto eco-spastic gearbox project

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Raspberry PI - Semi auto eco-spastic gearbox project
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
21st Jun 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've thought of an awesome project (assuming the vauxhall ecospastic semi-auto actuators are fast enough):

Raspberry Pi controlled, semi-auto shifting!

Have a T-piece between the clutch master cylinder and the clutch-actuator so you can have a conventional clutch with paddle shift, semi-auto or full auto modes.

The paddles could be added to the steering wheel and the horn feed could be used (just need two different value resistors on each paddle).

hmmmmmm.. just need the time now

John

21st Jun 12 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a completely terrible use for a raspberry pi.

Do you need ethernet and hdmi to your gearbox?

Loads of stuff more suited to the job.
Gary
Premium Member

21st Jun 12 at 14:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are loads more things your suited to but you persist in coming on here and been a miserable bastard.
DaveyLC

21st Jun 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But not stuff that I've already got in my possession..

And after witnessing how piss poor the PI is at running XBMC I dont really have a graphical application for it.
DaveyLC

21st Jun 12 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
There are loads more things your suited to but you persist in coming on here and been a miserable bastard.

Dom

21st Jun 12 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arduino/PIC based would probably be more suited, be a lot easier to integrate for starters. Although sounds like a cool project, certainly if you go ahead with it then it'd be nice to have a build log of it

By the way, have you tried OC'ing the RPi for XMBC? As mentioned in the other thread, there's been a few people saying it makes a vast improvement.
DaveyLC

21st Jun 12 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm worried about heat issues, even if the chip can take it I'd be worried about heat soak on the board and what its doing to it be cool if someone made a heat sink kit
oceansoul

21st Jun 12 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A simple Micrologix PLC would be able to do that. Although im not sure if could respond to I/O fast enough.
Dom

21st Jun 12 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
I'm worried about heat issues, even if the chip can take it I'd be worried about heat soak on the board and what its doing to it be cool if someone made a heat sink kit

Heat doesn't appear to be an issue as it has been reported of people clocking them to 1GHz and the Broadcom SoC is apparently 'cool to the touch'. Overvolting would be my only concern but that's only due warranty.

Ocean - Micrologix PLC looks to be far to OTT, plus i'm sure a unit is a lot more than a £5-10 PIC development board

[Edited on 21-06-2012 by Dom]
DaveyLC

21st Jun 12 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine got hot to the touch when rendering HD video in XBMC
Dom

21st Jun 12 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Mine got hot to the touch when rendering HD video in XBMC

Maybe John/Ed can confirm, as i don't have one to play with, but everything i've read states that the SoC doesn't get hot even during heavy processing.
ed

21st Jun 12 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine got warm when I installed the os. Certainly not hot though - I don't think they're really meant to get hot as they're supposed to sit in phones and routers with no cooling or heat sinks.
John

21st Jun 12 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm running my cable tonight, I'll try and do some more testing later.
ed

21st Jun 12 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Arduino

There's a nice CAN bus shield for Arduino out there actually
oceansoul

21st Jun 12 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Heat doesn't appear to be an issue as it has been reported of people clocking them to 1GHz and the Broadcom SoC is apparently 'cool to the touch'. Overvolting would be my only concern but that's only due warranty.

Ocean - Micrologix PLC looks to be far to OTT, plus i'm sure a unit is a lot more than a £5-10 PIC development board

[Edited on 21-06-2012 by Dom]

Yea it would TBH the new Micro800 are pretty cheap for what they are. I would suggests PLC though, as i cant programe "code" for shit, yet i can programe PLC ladder code all day long!!

New Poll