corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » WWDC 2012

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author WWDC 2012
Chrissy
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Jun 12 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
BTW enjoy your tiny buttons.

If your current display is around 110 PPI this is the button size on the new MBP:

The big difference of course being that they will be completely crisp on the higher res screen.

So everything is going to look phenomenal but the bitmap is going to be tiny.
Also, there's no truly good solution to it. Zooming the font only can screw up the layout of some websites and zooming everything will make it look less crisp than what the display is capable of.

The desktop wallpaper is going to look fantastic though!

That's not how it works. Or certainly it's not how it works on my iPad.

The iPad will show the bitmap images at the same size as on lower resolution screens.. but it'll use double the pixels to show it. This is fine on a 4x4 pixel square.. It'll just show it as 8x8 but at the same size as the original 4x4.

>>>> Chris <<<<

Rob_Quads

12th Jun 12 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take a read of http://www.anandtech.com/show/5998/macbook-pro-retina-display-analysis if you don't quite get it. Its explained there as to how its implemented
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

damn you apple nerds are getting angry
A2H GO

12th Jun 12 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saying the buttons will be tiny is like saying all the non-retina app icons will be half the size on a retina screen, they're not they're the same size just a bit fuzzier.

[Edited on 12-06-2012 by A2H GO]
Balling
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Oh for fucks sake. THE BUTTONS WONT BE ANY SMALLER! They will remain the same size as they would be on a 72PPI display and they will appear slightly fuzzy. Why is this such a difficult concept for people to grasp?

It's you who have it wrong Ed.

All computer screens use 1:1 pixel mapping.

Here in front of me I have a regular MBP at 1440x900 and a high res MBP at 1680x1050. Bitmap appears smaller on the 1680 screen as the pixels are smaller.

How the fuck is the computer supposed to know whether the graphics are to be displayed at 1:1 or at 1:2? It either shows everything at 1:1 or everything at 1:2.

[Edited on 12-06-2012 by Balling]

Balling
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Saying the buttons will be tiny is like saying all the non-retina app icons will be half the size on a retina screen, they're not they're the same size just a bit fuzzier.

That's a stupid comparison. The iOS is completely different and will always display an icon at the same size no matter the native resolution of said icon.

Why do you think you can't change the icon size on the iPad or iPhone? Icon size is predefined.

Balling
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 15:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Take a read of http://www.anandtech.com/show/5998/macbook-pro-retina-display-analysis if you don't quite get it. Its explained there as to how its implemented

Wow, it almost looks like the UI elements will get smaller while upping the resolution!? But that can't be! Apple most have made an error in the settings. Ed, go call them. Quick!

Rob_Quads

12th Jun 12 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The recommended mode is 1920x1200 which means that everything looks exactly the same as the old MBP screen except all the buttons/ text etc are all much clearer.

i.e. your not actually running in 2880x1800
Balling
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Regular res Mac to the left, high res Mac to the right. Both are 15", but bitmap elements appear smaller on the 1680 res screen.

If shown at true 2880x1800 bitmap graphics, like the buttons on CS or most other sites, will be small.

The. Fucking. End.

Balling
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The recommended mode is 1920x1200 which means that everything looks exactly the same as the old MBP screen except all the buttons/ text etc are all much clearer.

i.e. your not actually running in 2880x1800

Which sounds like and odd solution as it seems like you'll not fully utilize the capability of the screen. At leas they could have added the option to go full res I would think...

Rob_Quads

12th Jun 12 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't have the cake and eat it.

If you really want to use the full resolution of the screen you can but equally all the icons will be much smaller and for certain jobs it won't be very easy to use.

If you want a sharper looking screen then you run it in a lower res mode but have everything looking much sharper i.e. how the iPhone works.
Nismo

12th Jun 12 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I'm glad me and Balling are on the same wave length with how it works.

I know this as I'm sat using the 1680 res MBP.
Dom

13th Jun 12 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparent (source was twitter, so who knows) comparison of Apple 'iMaps' and Google Maps -

Edit - It does look lacking in info but no doubts it's a beta release (and you probably have to zoom-in for more 'data').

[Edited on 13-06-2012 by Dom]
Balling
Premium Member

13th Jun 12 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll reserve judgment until I see the actual product in use.
But from those two I much prefer Googles approach.
IMO maps need to be rich on detail, not minimal and stylish.

Rob_Quads

13th Jun 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup - as you zoom in the street names appear

Its is a beta so that may well change depending on feedback.

I can see benefits in both systems. The Apple one is much cleaner but the Google one has more info straight away.

The nav is not quite there either. Don't like it as much as TomTom App. It does not understand postcodes via Siri It was able to do "Directions to my parents" though
Balling
Premium Member

13th Jun 12 at 13:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Don't like it as much as TomTom App.

That makes me worry as I found the TomTom app to be utter shit!

We used it on our California road trip in October and ended up relying on a map as the TomTom kept giving us the most awkward directions.

Nismo

13th Jun 12 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if thats it then I'm sure 90% will prefer the google maps, however it might be something to do with zoom level and what you see as sometime I've found when in areas with GSM only it takes ages to load maps, i would guess less detail would mean less load times.
Rob_Quads

13th Jun 12 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Don't like it as much as TomTom App.

That makes me worry as I found the TomTom app to be utter shit!

We used it on our California road trip in October and ended up relying on a map as the TomTom kept giving us the most awkward directions.

Different people, different experiences. Used ours 4/5 times and its been flawless every time. Only annoyance has been not having traffic on it (as I didn't want to pay). Also found Co-Pilot to be very good.

[Edited on 13-06-2012 by Rob_Quads]
jamied

13th Jun 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might have to try and install iOS6 tonight.. somebody on my fb has just posted this pic. I have replied asking how..

IOS6 has landed
ed

13th Jun 12 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to register your devices UDID with Apple to get the beta. The official way is to register as a dev for £99, but there are websites and people who will do it for a fee. It's a beta though, probably a bit buggy at the mo so perhaps not a good choice for your every day phone.
Bart

13th Jun 12 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flushed my phone full of sea water last week, and the phone wont charge

Luckily the 2 external water sensors havent been triggered and ive just looked at the internal sensor and also white.

my phone was jailbroken and they dont normally reset from the menu (mine wouldnt) so Ive had to take my phone apart, along with the misses, remove both dock connect cables and lash hers onto my phone so I can do a restore through windows.

A right farse, but im off to Apple tomorrow evening to try for a replacement.
A2H GO

13th Jun 12 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where are the free ones Ed? I can only see ones at $10, but then I suppose that's not much.

Might wait till beta 2 with it being my everyday phone. Also, Im thinking it might take the shine off when iPhone 5 comes out running iOS6. Nice to have a new phone and updated software at the same time.
jamied

14th Jun 12 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might put on my iPad tonight and phone on a later beta
A2H GO

14th Jun 12 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't be putting on my iPad, waited months to finally jailbreak it
jamied

14th Jun 12 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that's true but an always go back to 5.1.1 if needed