corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iPhone 5

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iPhone 5
ed

User status: Offline
1st Jun 12 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:
Originally posted by ed

Seemed to work fine for me when skiing - only bothered to try a few times and I can only see one glitch on this one:

http://runkeeper.com/user/edjcs/activity/79330256

Same GPS as in an iPad 2 too (I assume) which seems to work fine in aeroplanes at 140mph.

As said the applications are coded to work around the poor level of detail. That map is a perfect example - its only mapping every 50m or so.
Even better actually zoom in what you linked to - I just did on just near 42km and you seem to have been waiting to get on a chair lift but the GPS has show you running up a steep hill - then back to the other size of the little valley then onto the chair. Perfect example of where its all over the shop Also look at the track while your on the lift - that is FAR from straight yet I bet the lift was fairly straight

I think you've invalidated your opinion with several of the statements you've made regarding GPS. Go buy a Galileo equipped phone if you need better.

[Edited on 01-06-2012 by ed]
Chrissy
Premium Member

1st Jun 12 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
quote:
In terms of the unibody design and the antenna, Apple got round that 3 years ago with the iPhone 4 when they put the antenna on the outside (which I'm sure I've read reports of Samsung starting to do).

[Edited on 01-06-2012 by A2H GO]

I'm sure the only reason that worked was because it was a sectioned band and they could therefore use it as an antenna.. Don't think they could utilize a fully aluminium/stainless back as an antenna otherwise they'd have done it already with the iPad instead of the black plastic rectangle at the top. Even the wifi antenna has to be mounted behind the plastic Apple on the back to let reception pass through.

The band around the outside is seconded on the unibody but I get what you're saying. The wifi antenna isn't behind a plactic apple logo on any of the products

Unless they've changed it http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-Wi-Fi-Teardown/2183/3

Says in that article that it's the same on the iMacs too..

[Edited on 01-06-2012 by Chrissy]

>>>> Chris <<<<

Rob_Quads

1st Jun 12 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I think you've invalidated your opinion with several of the statements you've made in that regarding GPS. Go buy a Galileo equipped phone if you need better.

?

I've said the GPS in the iPhone is not very good or accurate and used someones post to validate it. Where have I said otherwise? I already have a small GPS nugget I take snowboarding which is much better (but obviously would prefer just to be able to use my phone) The nugget is also very tiny so its not that far fetched to think the same quality could be found from a phone gps
A2H GO

1st Jun 12 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
In terms of the unibody design and the antenna, Apple got round that 3 years ago with the iPhone 4 when they put the antenna on the outside (which I'm sure I've read reports of Samsung starting to do).

I'm sure the only reason that worked was because it was a sectioned band and they could therefore use it as an antenna.. Don't think they could utilize a fully aluminium/stainless back as an antenna otherwise they'd have done it already with the iPad instead of the black plastic rectangle at the top. Even the wifi antenna has to be mounted behind the plastic Apple on the back to let reception pass through.

The band around the outside is sectioned on the unibody but I get what you're saying. The wifi antenna isn't behind a plactic apple logo on any of the products

Unless they've changed it http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-Wi-Fi-Teardown/2183/3

Fair enough. I've only taken iPhone apart and obviously the back is completely glass, including the logo and the wifi antenna is at the top so can't see it being an issue.
ed

1st Jun 12 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed
I think you've invalidated your opinion with several of the statements you've made in that regarding GPS. Go buy a Galileo equipped phone if you need better.

?

I've said the GPS in the iPhone is not very good or accurate and used someones post to validate it. Where have I said otherwise? I already have a small GPS nugget I take snowboarding which is much better (but obviously would prefer just to be able to use my phone) The nugget is also very tiny so its not that far fetched to think the same quality could be found from a phone gps

GPS is accurate to 20m - you'll get variation in your 'plot' no matter what device you're using.

Civilian devices are limited to the amount of times the can poll the GPS a minute, hence why you get lots of individual position fixes spaced apart. This is to prevent people from using GPS to control cruise missiles. And anyway, when collecting data using an electronic system, you need to calculate an appropriate sample rate.

Runkeeper doesn't handle altitude too well, I don't think they really designed it with skiing in mind. There are apps that handle altitude very well, this is on an iPad:

[Edited on 01-06-2012 by ed]
Chrissy
Premium Member

1st Jun 12 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The band around the outside is sectioned on the unibody but I get what you're saying. The wifi antenna isn't behind a plactic apple logo on any of the products

Fair enough. I've only taken iPhone apart and obviously the back is completely glass, including the logo and the wifi antenna is at the top so can't see it being an issue.

But glass will allow wifi signals to pass through. I just think if they knew of a way to have a completely aluminium unibody back and have wifi and 3G fully functional then they'd have done it on the iPad by now. Seems like they have to have some sort of plastic section on it to allow signal to pass through.

Edit: Google tells me that even on the 4/4S the wifi antenna isn't inside the phone. I presume even the glass would reflect signal.. A section of the antenna band handles bluetooth and wifi apparently whilst the other section handles cell reception.

>>>> Chris <<<<

Whittie

1st Jun 12 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Interesting to see they have moved the LED further away from the camera too

Aye, i'm just wondering whether the dot inbetween could be a focus light
Rob_Quads

1st Jun 12 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK - My GPS nugget products more consistent, accurate results than the iPhone.

How it does it, I don't know or care to know all I know is that it does and thus its better for the job for mapping certain things. It might be able to pick up more satellites, it might have a better clock chip etc.
John

1st Jun 12 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean by nugget, is it a brand or do you just mean an external GPS receiver?

What software are you using that with?

Is the nugget in the same pocket as the iPhone is? Are you actually on GPS with the iPhone and not cell towers or wifi spots?
Rob_Quads

1st Jun 12 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nugget as in small RoyalTek bluetooth GPS receiver/logger based on the

What software. It outputs raw nmea data to use in what ever you like

Nugget is not in the same pocket - Phone in left breast pocket, nugget in right so as good as in terms of its view of the sky.

The iPhone is working off GPS no cell / wifi spots. Tried many apps - one of the better being Motion-X GPS for raw data
A2H GO

1st Jun 12 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

But glass will allow wifi signals to pass through. I just think if they knew of a way to have a completely aluminium unibody back and have wifi and 3G fully functional then they'd have done it on the iPad by now. Seems like they have to have some sort of plastic section on it to allow signal to pass through.

Edit: Google tells me that even on the 4/4S the wifi antenna isn't inside the phone. I presume even the glass would reflect signal.. A section of the antenna band handles bluetooth and wifi apparently whilst the other section handles cell reception.

So like I said, they can do it without cut outs for plastic slots. The only reason the iPad/iPod Touch/original iphones have them is because the antenna is on the inside.

The only issue will be getting this to work with the full metal back, who knows maybe they'll get the whole shell to act as an antenna, if you look the rubber antenna break carries on around the rear of the phone connecting the left and the right one (so not true unibody).

sc0ott

25th Jun 12 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any new info released on this?
A2H GO

25th Jun 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Russ

25th Jun 12 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

renderlicous
sc0ott

25th Jun 12 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of people at work just went and got the 4s on contract, so i want to gather some legit info on the 5 (if there is any) and send them it.
John

25th Jun 12 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how into phones you are, there will definitely be a better one out in about 3 months, meaning they'll have 21 months left before they can get an iphone 7.

I wouldn't personally have taken a contract out on a 4S just now.
sc0ott

25th Jun 12 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried telling them to hold off for the 5 but it was like talking to a shower curtain.
LeeM

25th Jun 12 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6!!!!
stubs

26th Jun 12 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
6!!!!

Not for certain... might just be called "iPhone", just like Apple did with the iPad (3)
I think until Apple annouce it, it doesn't really matter what people refer to it as.
Most people understand what you mean when you say iPhone 5
Whittie

26th Jun 12 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be "New Iphone"
sc0ott

26th Jun 12 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, those who dont give a shit will refer to it as the 5 until apple confirm otherwise.

Im more interested in the spec and what its going to look like.
LeeM

26th Jun 12 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But it's still the 6th iPhone, so only mongs will call it the 5
Jambo

26th Jun 12 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Tried telling them to hold off for the 5 but it was like talking to a shower curtain.

It will be largely the same, not like its due out next week and they bought it. Not drama of the century tbh
LeeM

26th Jun 12 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had white ones since White was available, my iPads white and my beats are white but I still prefer the black version out of these leaked images
sc0ott

26th Jun 12 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
But it's still the 6th iPhone, so only mongs will call it the 5

Technically yes but apple didnt call the 4s the 5 therefore i am referring to it as the 5.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll