corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Slr choice for a newbie

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Slr choice for a newbie
Ant B

User status: Offline
8th May 12 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello I have used a few of my mates digital slr's and lovved them,
So now I want a relatively cheap one but good at the same time.
The reason I want a good camara is I love the instant shutter speed of an slr, and I'm just stopping motocross riding but I'd still like to stay in the scene and get some good pictures,!
Ideally the camara needs auto foucus and a nice fast shutter speed.
I don't no much about settings but I'm willing to learn.
The thing is my budget is low £200-300 max really.
I'm hoping that's not too much to ask
Thank you
andy1868

8th May 12 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the budget is going to make things harder for you, but i suppose it could be done.

You say you want to shoot motocross so you want a long lens but then if you want to shoot something close up you'll need something wider so something like the tamron 18-200mm lens would suit you. They can be had new for £145 plus delivery, so probably abit less second hand. I think it comes with most fittings for each camera manufacturer. the problem is that the aperture isn't all that big, especially when zooming right in, so that could mean slower shutter speeds than you're wanting to use. i also don't know what the performance will be like auto focusing wise.

the body is probably a matter of taste but you're looking at the lower end of the second hand market of slr's with the remaining £150ish. I'm a nikon man so in that sort of range there's the D40, D60 or D70s but i can't comment on how well they're going to perform for motorcross.

the alternative is that you put all your eggs in one basket and buy a long lens like a 70-300mm and spend abit more on the body but then you're cutting out the wide end of the zoom range. something like this perhaps http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sigma-70-300mm-F4-5-6-DG-MACRO-AF-Zoom-Lens-all-Nikon-Free-UK-Postage-/270972276827?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3f1734d05b#ht_11493wt_1163

out of interest what cameras have your friends got that you've been using? would they be willing to lend you lenses etc?
Balling
Premium Member

9th May 12 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nikon in that price range do not have auto focus motor build in, I believe. Which means, if you ever upgrade to a better camera, you'll have to upgrade all your lenses as well. Big let down imo.

I'd say go for the Canon EOS 1100D. Very decent kit for the money. Reasonable high ISO performance and very easy to use and understand.

As for the lens, as Andy says, that's going to be an issue for you. The Sigma 18-200 really is quite poor.

Something like the Canon 70-200 (I believe it is) that comes with a few kits can often be picked up quite cheap, when people realize they never use it. It's not a spectacular lens, but at your budget I guess it might do. See if you can get an IS version though, as there really is a massive difference between this and the older version.

Adam_B

9th May 12 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctg/Canon-EOS-450D-Rebel-XSi-12-2-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Kit-w-EF-S-18-55mm-and-EF-S-55-250mm-/114210413?LH_ItemCondition=12&LH_Price=..350%40c&rt=nc&_aset=0&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&_mPrRngCbx=1&_pcategid=31388&_pcatid=802&_pdpal=1&_rptype=4295
andy1868

10th May 12 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as long as the lenses have in built motors the lower end of camera bodies are fine auto focusing.

there seems to be better canons about for the money looking into it abit better, also try sony as they have some good cheap bodies second hand but also decent old minolta lenses that will work fine with them
jrdn7

10th May 12 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do a lot of motorsport photography and I shoot with a Canon 1000D with kit lens and 55-250mm IS. Bought them on the cheap as I had little money at the time. They have served me great and within a year I'm flat out with everything from motorsport to football to baby shoots. I'm upgrading to a 1D soon and 70-200mm 2.8, but will be keeping the 1000D as it's an excellent wee camera. I've given it some amount of about and with near enough 20,000 shots on it it's still flying.

U2U me if you want to know anything about it or want help with settings. I learnt by asking and am willing to help!
neoquip

11th May 12 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have a look on talkphotography forum at the classified.. you get some good 2nd hand camersa coming up when ppl upgrade and want to get rid.

you could get a good 350d or 400d for that money.
John

13th May 12 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

350d is getting on a bit. I'm lookin for an excuse to replace mine.
Balling
Premium Member

14th May 12 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neoquip

Both are outdated. 1000D and 400D are basically the same camera, except the former came out two years later. 350d makes no sense to even consider. It was part of the very first ranges of consumer DSLR's and is frankly not a very good camera.

John

14th May 12 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think you are getting mixed up, 350D is a great camera, when it came out 5 years ago, not one of the first either.
Balling
Premium Member

14th May 12 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

350D came out at the beginning of 2005 and was the second ever consumer DSLR from Canon, after the 300D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canon_EOS_digital_cameras

Probably stacked up fine against competitors back then, but a lot has happened since.
A 7 year old digital camera is not a good purchase.

[Edited on 14-05-2012 by Balling]

Rob E

14th May 12 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by neoquip

Both are outdated. 1000D and 400D are basically the same camera, except the former came out two years later. 350d makes no sense to even consider. It was part of the very first ranges of consumer DSLR's and is frankly not a very good camera.

I agree they are outdated but for a DSLR for a newbie they are fine. I have a 400D and it does everything I require and more. Ive had it for 4 years and I will be the first to admit I don't know how to utilize a lot of its features. I am learning slowly though I bought an external flash and a lens with decent glass and it improved my photography ten fold.

I think its a case of dont run before you can walk, you can buy Canon's or Nikon's latest offering with every feature under the sun packed in but the basics of photography remain the same and will be applied on any model of DSLR/SLR. You can still get decent results from "Outdated" models. I know my 400D isnt Canon's flagship model but for my level of photography I have plenty of useful features at my disposal

On another note, there is a custom firmware avaliable for the 400D which gives you a couple of handy features, more ISO control and remote shutter options without needing a remote etc
Balling
Premium Member

14th May 12 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, I wasn't trying to state that the 400D (or 350D for that matter) isn't useful. It just doesn't make sense buying one. The added cost of getting the much newer 1000D or 1100D is insubstancial, hence it makes no sense not to go for one of these.

It's not my opinion that you should shell out for a Pro or Prosumer camera as a newbie. On the contrary.

But if you're upgrading from a 2010 or 11 compact to a 2005 DSLR with kit lens and only shoot in auto, chances are 9 out of 10 people will find they get better results with the compact.

neoquip

15th May 12 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a 'friend' on my camera class group has a 300d... takes great photos with it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leonwestmoreland/with/7166653002/

you can't say he's not happy with the results.. its given him a good learning to use the settings and not just stay in Auto.. if you want auto buy a compact.

this is a great shot...

Orange handles at Sainsburys by leonwestmoreland, on Flickr

[Edited on 15-05-2012 by neoquip]
John

18th May 12 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 300/350d will still take better pictures than most compacts because it's got a bigger sensor.
jacko198

19th May 12 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have one for sale too maybe lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Slr choice for a newbie 24 database queries in 0.0190439 seconds