corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Average cost of a car photoshoot?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Average cost of a car photoshoot?
jrdn7

User status: Offline
27th Mar 12 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As title suggests. Sorry if I'm being a bit unspecific but maybe if a couple of photographers on here could help me it would be brilliant!
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Mar 12 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would guess it differs a lot from mates rate and boshing a few photos on a CD to proper full day with loads of gear and lost of post-pro.

Really depends what you want and who is doing it.
jrdn7

27th Mar 12 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right. If it was a lad who knew what he was doing making a good job of it, maybe half day with mid-range gear?
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Mar 12 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably a few hundred quid if that half a day shoot also includes another half day at home tweeking the pics.
jrdn7

27th Mar 12 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a general rule of thumb I spend twice as long editing as I did taking, dpending on circumstances of course. Would this be usual for photoshoots?

Who would be a good person to go to to ask?
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Mar 12 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a fairly standard measurement, yes.

I'll move this to Snap Day for further comment.
jrdn7

27th Mar 12 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Ian.

Any advice on price, equipment, time etc. will help no end!
Butler

27th Mar 12 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From my experience of working on car magazines, our photographers (top of the game), charge around £350 for a days shoot. They don't spend long editing at all really, most of the post-processing is by default in aperture or lightroom and the rest is done in-house.
jrdn7

27th Mar 12 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£350 isn't too bad I suppose. I'd assume they're using pro equipment? I only spend a while editing cause I'm a perfectionist!
Butler

27th Mar 12 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the best equipment. I think they would like to spend more time if they had it, they have a quick turn around based on work rate.
jrdn7

28th Mar 12 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aww right. What would you say a start-out photographer would get for a half-day's shoot? £50?
Butler

28th Mar 12 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can charge as much as you want dependent on the quality of photography. A pro will charge your average joe more than £350 for a day. I wouldnt expect much for £50! Personally I'd want to charge more (assuming youre not crap).
jrdn7

28th Mar 12 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like to think I'm not crap! haha I need practise tho, will use my own car for that.

I've only ever really done sports photography, but I'm eager to give this a go. I'll give ya a link if you want? Just to see some of my stuff.
AndyKent

28th Mar 12 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Work out what you want to make and what your market is likely to pay.

I wouldn't drive to a shoot, take photos, drive home AND edit them for £50. Waste of your time.

Plus, as Butler says, for £50 people will be expecting shit - far too cheap. Triple it at least imo.
jrdn7

28th Mar 12 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only thing is that I'm 15, so people expect shit from a 15 year old anyways. I can't see people paying £150 to a 15 year old, whether they're shite or the next Ansel Adams.

I'm gonna do a small shoot with my own car tomorrow hopefully, so I'll post them & see what people think, and if I'd be worth £150.

@andykent I see from your signature that you're a professional photographer, so would ya mind if I asked a few questions?
Butler

29th Mar 12 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your age is irrelevant mate. Let your pictures do the talking. No one has to know your age before they book you for a photoshoot!
AndyKent

29th Mar 12 at 07:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrdn7
Only thing is that I'm 15, so people expect shit from a 15 year old anyways. I can't see people paying £150 to a 15 year old, whether they're shite or the next Ansel Adams.

I'm gonna do a small shoot with my own car tomorrow hopefully, so I'll post them & see what people think, and if I'd be worth £150.

@andykent I see from your signature that you're a professional photographer, so would ya mind if I asked a few questions?

You can ask but I don't shoot cars

Don't worry too much about your age mate. Bigger concern is how you get to and from shoots on your own tbh!

End of the day, photography is completely objective. You could charge someone £5k for awful pictures, but if the client likes them then to them, it's worth the money.
If you quote someone £150, take some pictures and they are happy, it doesn't matter who you are so long as they got the results they wanted.

Bigger problem is how you're going to find people who want to pay for pictures of their car. These days a lot of people are happy with their smartphone pictures - you need to convince people you're better
jrdn7

1st Apr 12 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
quote:
Originally posted by jrdn7

You can ask but I don't shoot cars

Don't worry too much about your age mate. Bigger concern is how you get to and from shoots on your own tbh!

End of the day, photography is completely objective. You could charge someone £5k for awful pictures, but if the client likes them then to them, it's worth the money.
If you quote someone £150, take some pictures and they are happy, it doesn't matter who you are so long as they got the results they wanted.

Bigger problem is how you're going to find people who want to pay for pictures of their car. These days a lot of people are happy with their smartphone pictures - you need to convince people you're better

I can work on my persuasion techniques! I guess your right, hearing it from someone else makes complete sense!

And don't worry, I've plenty of other questions to ask, that ain't about shooting cars!!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Average cost of a car photoshoot? 23 database queries in 0.0092142 seconds