corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » who makes good boost gauges

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author who makes good boost gauges
thegsi

User status: Offline
26th Mar 12 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't comment on RaceTech as I've never owned/seen one. The main reasons I like them over anything else I've tried are:

- Very responsive and accurate readings over mechanical gauges
- Neat controller that records, sets peak and warning parameters for all gauges.
- Simple to wire up. All senders go to one unit and then gauges daisy chain up rather than each sender going to each gauge.
- Display is much much clearer than other gauges.
- Build quality exceeds other gauges.
- They're generally cool.

I understand they're expensive and there are other gauges that do the job but thats like everything else on planet earth. You get what you pay for and for monitoring something like Nic's which needs constant feedback, I would like to see Defi in there. Thats my two pence.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

26th Mar 12 at 14:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I forgot about the peaks/record function, very cool. But how are they more accurate over mechanical or any other digital gauge? I mean they will take input in the same way as a mechanical gauge won't they?
Nic Barnes

26th Mar 12 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by thegsiBuy some cheap piss, its only a Corsa after all.

[Edited on 26-03-2012 by thegsi]
not really sure what you're going on about tbh as that's just completely pathetic thing to say. Spa stuff you say Ron, will check that out when I get home.
John

26th Mar 12 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much more accurate are they than other gauges and how much more responsive can a gauge be?
willay
Premium Member

26th Mar 12 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Barnes does the corsa still have the standard instrument cluster? Could save up for this (can plug into stand alone management and customise your dash to show stuff like boost)

http://www.race-technology.com/dash2_2_31.html

Slightly offtopic
thegsi

26th Mar 12 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not 100% on the full technical comparison but conventional gauges run a straight vac. Defi use a seperate boost sender unit that you use to intercept the vac before the gauge. From experience, mechanical gauges can be irratic and uneasy under certain loads. They seem to delay somewhat. Defi don't. The responce and reading is instant and clean.
thegsi

26th Mar 12 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by thegsiBuy some cheap piss, its only a Corsa after all.

[Edited on 26-03-2012 by thegsi]
not really sure what you're going on about tbh as that's just completely pathetic thing to say. Spa stuff you say Ron, will check that out when I get home.

I'm winding you up.
willay
Premium Member

26th Mar 12 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by thegsi
I'm not 100% on the full technical comparison but conventional gauges run a straight vac. Defi use a seperate boost sender unit that you use to intercept the vac before the gauge. From experience, mechanical gauges can be irratic and uneasy under certain loads. They seem to delay somewhat. Defi don't. The responce and reading is instant and clean.

Interesting! I would of expected the Defi system to introduce more delay (vs your 'traditional' gauge) seeing as its got to read the value from the vac, sender unit sends it to the control box, control box then sends it down x amount of defi gauges until it gets to the one displaying boost. Where as your normal gauge can just read off the vac and display it. SCIENCE
BarnshaW

26th Mar 12 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

defi gauges are not always 100% accurate, they do normally read about 0.1 bar out , i have noticed this myself.

i think the stax one just looks a bit cheap and nasty myself.
thegsi

26th Mar 12 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine's perfect, as is Sean's and he's running 4.
BarnshaW

26th Mar 12 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am on about cars running decent boost, not 0.9 bar in your evo's
Nic Barnes

26th Mar 12 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's easy to smooth the readings out with an in line filter tbh. I don't need monitoring etc and peak. I can do that all from my ecu mate I said that already. I don't need functions like that as they don't tell you other information that I can get already. Wiring up isn't ever a problem ffs it's not exactly hard to wire anything up.

Display needs to be easy to read. That's basicslly all I'm after. Because something is generally cool isn't really a good enough validation for its purchase. I'd rather things did what I need compared to spending more to say I've got defi stuff. That's my opinion. It's a gauge. All my stuff gets monitored and logged on dyno and do some on drag runs as well.
Nic Barnes

26th Mar 12 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
I will one day aim for 2 bar.
John

26th Mar 12 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you using to measure that the defi is bang on? And if that's measuring the same as the defi how can that be just as accurate as a lesser manufacturer?
Nic Barnes

26th Mar 12 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My map sesnsor reads a fraction different to what my current gauge does before it expired. My map sensor reads the same as the monitoring channel on the dyno for boost. Think I was 0.1 bar lower on gauge than map sensor.
BarnshaW

26th Mar 12 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

similar to barnes i have boost controlled via ecu and on the dyno it peaked at say 1.7 bar but on the gauge it peaks at 1.8 bar.

i dont know if thats due to atmospheric temps etc but mapper said gauges might normally read ever so slightly more once on the road, which makes sense.

[Edited on 26-03-2012 by BarnshaW]
thegsi

26th Mar 12 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
It's easy to smooth the readings out with an in line filter tbh. I don't need monitoring etc and peak. I can do that all from my ecu mate I said that already. I don't need functions like that as they don't tell you other information that I can get already. Wiring up isn't ever a problem ffs it's not exactly hard to wire anything up.

Display needs to be easy to read. That's basicslly all I'm after. Because something is generally cool isn't really a good enough validation for its purchase. I'd rather things did what I need compared to spending more to say I've got defi stuff. That's my opinion. It's a gauge. All my stuff gets monitored and logged on dyno and do some on drag runs as well.

OK calm down. You have asked what makes good boost gauges, I have answered that I recommend Defi. Used them, prefer them other makes (that I have also used) mentioned for reasons I have listed. If you don't like it, fine. Don't buy one. I couldn't give a shit what you buy to be honest I was only trying to help.

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW

Nic Barnes

26th Mar 12 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am calm just that you replied listing reasons which is already covered earlier in this thread as to why I will not buy or need the expenses of a defi.

Out of Interest how often do you log yours? Quite often or done it very rarely maybe couple of times?
thegsi

26th Mar 12 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was answering other members questions Nic. What do you mean? As in record/log figures?
Nic Barnes

26th Mar 12 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah how often do you use that facility as I imagine that's the big selling point of them for the price they are?
Col004

26th Mar 12 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have a u2u nic
Nic Barnes

26th Mar 12 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i replies to you this morning col I think?
Col004

26th Mar 12 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope lol... no worries though.. thought id just let you know I had one here if you was intrested matey.
Nic Barnes

26th Mar 12 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i replies to you this morning col I think?
Col004

26th Mar 12 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no reply bud.. you did reply weeks ago regarding a strut brace.. but ive had no u2u of you today mate..

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » who makes good boost gauges 22 database queries in 0.1987860 seconds