corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Looking for a new PC

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Looking for a new PC
Matty L

User status: Offline
26th Feb 12 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone on here know much about PCs? Im after somthing for music production, im looking for a dual or quad core, but not sure if to go for AMD or Intel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-AMD-Quad-Core-FX4100-3-6GHz-4GB-500GB-HDD-Desktop-PC-Piano-Black-/140692326236?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item20c1ea875c

Ive been looking at this

Right now im running a 4 year old dual core 2.1 Macbook, but mainly using bootcamp (windows on it)

Im looking for a tower unit that is faster than my laptop, for around 250 pounds

Can anyone help?
Ste
Premium Member

26th Feb 12 at 23:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just got one of these

http://www.ebuyer.com/339477-zoostorm-desktop-7873-1055

upgraded the graphics card as I have it connected to my TV for films etc and upgraded the PSU to a silent one. Stands me £250 and you can get a copy of windows if you know where to look

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
John

26th Feb 12 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If only there was a section on here for this, do people really have that much trouble reading?
Ste
Premium Member

26th Feb 12 at 23:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If only you weren't such a ballbag, people might give a fuck what you say!

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
John

26th Feb 12 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got lots to say on what computer to buy, as always there would be a serious reply in geek day.

You continue on with your phone and processor from the 90's though.
Matty L

26th Feb 12 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste

upgraded the graphics card as I have it connected to my TV for films etc and upgraded the PSU to a silent one. Stands me £250 and you can get a copy of windows if you know where to look

Thanks mate, this looks great for the price.Have you seen this one?

http://www.ebuyer.com/337174-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-1051

Its a different processor, 1TB hardrive instead of 250 plus the motherboard accepts the new I series processors, so when they go down in price you can stick one of the new processors in it
Matty L

26th Feb 12 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I've got lots to say on what computer to buy, as always there would be a serious reply in geek day.

Who is this dick?
Twitch

26th Feb 12 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty L
quote:
Originally posted by Ste

Thanks mate, this looks great for the price.Have you seen this one?

http://www.ebuyer.com/337174-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-1051

Its a different processor, 1TB hardrive instead of 250 plus the motherboard accepts the new I series processors, so when they go down in price you can stick one of the new processors in it

Just dont forget you'll need to provide the window OEM yourself
John

26th Feb 12 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty L
quote:
Originally posted by John

Who is this dick?

Name is at the left of the post and in your quote mate, not helping the unable to read thing.

[Edited on 26-02-2012 by John]
Sam
Premium Member

27th Feb 12 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John has a point though, there is a sub-forum called Geek Day for such threads.

Anyway, in answer to your post, my personal preference is Intel CPUs over AMD. How much are you looking to spend on a PC? You can get loads of older generation Pentium systems like the Zoo Storm that Ste posted quite cheaply, current generation Intel are the Core i3/i5/i7 but you will end up paying about an extra £200ish on top of the old Pentium prices.

Pentium and Core i processors use different 'socket' motherboards, so bear that in mind if you go for a Pentium (i.e. you can't easily upgrade without changing the motherboard etc).
Ste
Premium Member

27th Feb 12 at 00:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For editing music there is no need for high end processors. Why waste £200 when that will do more than enough.

Sam
Premium Member

27th Feb 12 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what spec the software he wants to use requires though, I guess.
Ste
Premium Member

27th Feb 12 at 00:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In his first post he says what he is running it on now, so shouldn't really be a problem on anything newer.

Matty L

27th Feb 12 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
John has a point though, there is a sub-forum called Geek Day for such threads.

Anyway, in answer to your post, my personal preference is Intel CPUs over AMD. How much are you looking to spend on a PC? You can get loads of older generation Pentium systems like the Zoo Storm that Ste posted quite cheaply, current generation Intel are the Core i3/i5/i7 but you will end up paying about an extra £200ish on top of the old Pentium prices.

Pentium and Core i processors use different 'socket' motherboards, so bear that in mind if you go for a Pentium (i.e. you can't easily upgrade without changing the motherboard etc).

The one i posted uses the socket 1155, which accepts the current genration I7

"socket 1155 will accept core i3 and core i5 processors"

Is this correct?

Im looking to spend no more than 250 tops, looking for around 6-8 DDR3 Ram, large HD, and fast processor

Also, right now im running an intel core t7200.Its a macbook, but running windows on it atm, its about 4 years old.2gb ram

If i go for the Sandybridge G630 2.7GHz, am i gonna see a big difference?
Matty L

27th Feb 12 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Depends what spec the software he wants to use requires though, I guess.

Im using Ableton live, running 20 channels with CPU heavy virtual instuments.My current Macbook laptop starts messing up if i run more than 20 channels, or a big vsti
Matty L

27th Feb 12 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
For editing music there is no need for high end processors. Why waste £200 when that will do more than enough.

I making music mate, and the software i use is very intense on the processor, esp when i add more than 20 channels

Also that other one, that is slightly more expensive, its future proof with the I7
Sam
Premium Member

27th Feb 12 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK that's fine, only really skimmed over your posts last night as I was half asleep at the time... Socket 1155 Pentium and Core i CPUs will work in socket 1155 motherboards, so you could go for a system with the cheaper Pentium and upgrade later if you wanted to. Older Pentium CPUs use a different socket so I in my half asleep state last night assumed that PC you posted up was one of them (my bad).

My advice to you, is to buy something like the one you posted and if it's not quick enough upgrade the CPU to a Core i3 or Core i5 if you can afford to.

I could probably spec you up and build a PC cheaper than the one on that eBuyer site, if you're interested let me know and I'll U2U you some details and prices of different options you could go for.
Dom

27th Feb 12 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste

LOLWUT!

Matty - Are you mainly dealing with audio/sample based libraries (like EastWest, Ivory, NI Akoustik/B4/EPiano) or plugins?
If it's the former then i'd recommend a SSD for libraries and (current) project files, then have a separate drive for OS/Programs etc (yes this is backwards compared to how you'd usually setup a SSD system but you're not worried about how long it takes to load an application or OS, more about audio streaming throughput from and to the drive).
If it's the latter then as you say you want a half decent processor, go Intel 1155 (makes life easier if you ever want to run OSX for Logic etc) socket i5 at least.

In both cases you want a decent amount of Ram, certainly 8GB is the min especially if you're wanting to use any form of sample based libraries, although i would try and get as much as you possibly can. And note Ram speed isn't much of an issue so you can opt for 'cheap' (worth getting a decent brand for warranty) stuff.

Obviously things like graphics card aren't important, could use onboard or a passive card, although dual-head is useful for another monitor (two monitors increases workflow when doing audio work rather than a big high res single monitor).

To be honest £250 will be a bit of a struggle to get anything future-proof; as you can see the systems already posted are a few years old in terms of technology and have already been superseded with newer 'standards'.
Personally i'd opt to spend double that, at least then you could go for a 1155 setup and potentially factor in a SSD or another drive for storage.

Guessing you're already sorted on the audio interface front?

[Edited on 27-02-2012 by Dom]
Sunz

27th Feb 12 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Novatech £250
Dom

27th Feb 12 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
Novatech £250

It's not that cheap tbh especially not for an AMD system as you could get a 1155 barebones system with 8GB for not much more. It's also likely to include a basic motherboard which might not have onboard graphics and will no doubt have limited I/O and spare slots for upgrading (ram slots being the main one).
Sunz

27th Feb 12 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Novatech £250

It's not that cheap tbh especially not for an AMD system as you could get a 1155 barebones system with 8GB for not much more. It's also likely to include a basic motherboard which might not have onboard graphics and will no doubt have limited I/O and spare slots for upgrading (ram slots being the main one).

Then you should post this 1155 system with 8gb for the OP to see, would be a lot better then that AMD.

Novatech is a decent company and that pc isn't too bad for the price, is other options of barebones on their site but for £250 limit you won't get much.
Dom

27th Feb 12 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Novatech £250

Then you should post this 1155 system with 8gb for the OP to see, would be a lot better then that AMD.

Novatech is a decent company and that pc isn't too bad for the price, is other options of barebones on their site but for £250 limit you won't get much.

Doing a quick price up on OCuk -

• Asus P8H67-M Intel H67 (H61 due to the increased ports/ram slots over H65)
  • Intel Core i5-2300 2.80GHz
  • Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2x4GB)
  • OcUK Imp MicroATX Tower Case (500w PSU)

£293 and that's OCuk prices. No doubt you could easily shave off a bit shopping else where and changing a few bits.

Either way, £250 for everything is pushing it and ideally you want to be spending double that to get anything decent and future-proofed.
Sunz

27th Feb 12 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that for a barebones ?

Or just parts for the buyer to build up ?

Dom

27th Feb 12 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Is that for a barebones ?

Or just parts for the buyer to build up ?

Parts but lets be honest, if you can use a screwdriver you can build a PC
Nismo

27th Feb 12 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have had about 130+ of eBuyers Zoo Storms, good based PC, some of them come with i3's now too, very very good for the money.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Looking for a new PC 25 database queries in 0.1955709 seconds