corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Watches

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Watches
Joe

User status: Offline
16th Feb 12 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love watch threads on here. Proper willy waving.

Think I have one of those tw steel watches somewhere, if so its fucking wank. The wind mechanism didn't work from day one, it's big bulky and uncomfortable. Got it as a present and wore it about.
Matt L

16th Feb 12 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
why am i talking shit - Take for instance my Grand Carrera - its movement is bespoke to Tag and its hand built - hence the price I paid for it

does it or does it not tell the time in exactly the same way as a cheap £40 watch who sits there and watches it move around?

im agree with both you and baza tbh,

I dont see how spending £xk on a watch is nothing more than being flash/buying the name as at the end of the day it tells the time like any other watch, yes i get there is history behind them in the company and the build quality is probably better but still it is pretty much bragging rights when it comes down to it. (im sure if i could afford to buy an expensive watch then i would but it would be purely for the bragging rights ).

other wise you would spend a hell of a lot less on a watch you can replace when it eventually breaks (yet to have a watch that has broke tbh).
whitter45

16th Feb 12 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
quote:
why am i talking shit - Take for instance my Grand Carrera - its movement is bespoke to Tag and its hand built - hence the price I paid for it

does it or does it not tell the time in exactly the same way as a cheap £40 watch who sits there and watches it move around?

I dont see how spending £xk on a watch is nothing more than being flash/buying the name as at the end of the day it tells the time like any other watch, yes i get there is history behind them in the company and the build quality is probably better but still it is pretty much bragging rights when it comes down to it. (im sure if i could afford to buy an expensive watch then i would but it would be purely for the bragging rights ).

other wise you would spend a hell of a lot less on a watch you can replace when it eventually breaks (yet to have a watch that has broke tbh).

yes it does the same function just as anything else that is consumer wise i.e TVs, Laptops, Computers etc

It just depends on specs and what you want

But your theory applies to almost any consumer items. Why drive around in an 80k Porsche when a 30k Audi or BMW does the same

Different things to do different people
LeeM

16th Feb 12 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
quote:

you can say the same for absolutely anything, why buy designer clothes when you could buy from asda? flash cars, expensive electrical equipment, cars, furniture.
quality and brand image are a big thing in every aspect of what things we buy.
baza31

16th Feb 12 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by baza31
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by baza31
All watches are a fashion statement I don't care what anyone says . Ok you want it to look nice but you don't go buy one because it's got a special part that u can't see under the case. Your buying for look and brand . You would hardly spend 10k on a watch that was unbranded but built well . Eat that watch connoisseurs (puts on bulletproof jacket)

you clearly have no idea of watches

yes all watches are brands but some brands have history in watch making. Does DKNY and D&G etc have history of making watches - I guess not

But Tag, ORIS, Seiko, Citizen etc all have foundations for watch making

There are many many watches out there you will never of heard of but are over 10k in value - people do not but these ones for brand names but for the engineering and mechnics in them

yes the low end market for OMEGA and TAG etc will be bought by people because they like them but also the name that goes with it

[Edited on 16-02-2012 by whitter45]

No I don't CORRECT , but still your talking bollocks , fair play that a tag or whatever is made better than casio but the price doesn't fully reflect workmanship . I.e there will be equally as well made watches for £200 out there that tag sell for £2000 just because of brand image . If you think your paying just for quality you must be thick . You buy for brand image mainly that's a fact.

Ps it's in no comparison to car ffs it's a watch

Your talking bollocks not me - its not just brand image that justify s price

Would you pay the same price if that was made by same people and branded Asda? No .

I don't have a problem about spending loads on what you want just stating it's a fashion accessory and it's worn soley for that , you don't wear it because it's made by a monk in Tibet . It's probably really hand made by some chink on 4p a day and then sent to tag factory to be resold
Joe

16th Feb 12 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are people that stupid?

Why buy a £500 pair of jeans when a £5 pair will keep your legs covered up? Why buy a Ferrari when a metro will get you to tesco and back?

Same for every product in life..

Edit - the same point everyone has just made

[Edited on 16-02-2012 by Joe]
Nath

16th Feb 12 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lot of angry poor people up in here.
Joe

16th Feb 12 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What would we do
Usually drink, usually dance, usually babble
All I want to do is tell you I love you
Thats when i start promising the world to
a brand new girl i dont even know yet
Next thing shes wearing my rolex
What would we do
What would we do

Too much shanks dont know wear my phone is
Here's my number, she already knows it
This chapters alot, better close it
Just a look in her eye was so evil
Wileys a party guy and she knows it

What would we do

What would we do

What would we do
What would we do

Too much shanks dont know wear my phone is
Here's my number, she already knows it
This chapters alot, better close it
Just a look in her eye was so evil
Wileys a party guy and she knows it
What would we do
James

16th Feb 12 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do understand why people like expensive watches but I'm not sure comparing them to cars is valid.

With a car, price reflects so many factors that affect the user like speed, comfort, extras etc.

But an expensive watch doesn't give the user anything more than a £5 watch does, it tells the time in exactly the same way

[Edited on 16-02-2012 by James]
3CorsaMeal

16th Feb 12 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
A lot of these expensive watches don't even look that good.

thats my thoughts, people buy by price these days, chap next door has a good saying on his business card about that, will find it for you mate
jacko198

16th Feb 12 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
3CorsaMeal

16th Feb 12 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath

John

16th Feb 12 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I do understand why people like expensive watches but I'm not sure comparing them to cars is valid.

With a car, price reflects so many factors that affect the user like speed, comfort, extras etc.

But an expensive watch doesn't give the user anything more than a £5 watch does, it tells the time in exactly the same way

Expensive watch probably isn't as good at keeping time as a £5 one.
James

16th Feb 12 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:

Yeh but we are talking a matter of seconds here. If I told someone they could pay £5 and they might have to change the time once every 6 months, or £3k and it would work like a dream, I know what most would say.

Like I say, I get why enthusiasts spend the money, but I can also see why people are questioning it.
3CorsaMeal

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper; and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey"

DaveyLC

quote:

[Edited on 16-02-2012 by James]

It is valid to compare.. Expensive cars are expensive because they are a styling and mechanical marvel.. Most of the very high end watches are mostly hand made and the components are of a extremely high quality they will also last for many, many, many years.

You do get exceptions e.g. Brands like Armani, Hugo Boss etc. which is the watch equivilent of a Fiat 500. People buy this over priced piece of shit because its fashionable but we all know its a Ford KA underneath in the same way the Armani and Hugo Boss watches are no better than a £10 argos jobby they just have a "badge"..

Tag Heuer can also fall into the trap above because they still command a massive price tag even for the cheaper Quartz models.

Your analagy about a £5 watch being as good as an expensive one is also the same in the car world: 99.9% of people would find a cheap hatchback far more useful in their day to day life than say a Veyron...
AndyKent

16th Feb 12 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What gets me is when people buy fuck ugly watches and try to impress everyone by saying it cost a fortune.

Imo, that grand carrera is ugly as hell, but if you like it fair play.
I'm happy with my £50 Lorus which is currently up to 8 years old and will likely do tons more.

Build quality is a bit of a crappy argument really, once you get beyond silly cheap theres really not a lot to go wrong.
John

16th Feb 12 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

You didn't read that properly James I'm saying the £5 one is better at keeping time.
James

16th Feb 12 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not doubting the quality of expensive watches, I'm just saying the benefits to the end user compared to a cheap watch are negligible, but with cars that's not the case.
James

16th Feb 12 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

You didn't read that properly James I'm saying the £5 one is better at keeping time.

My bad.
DaveyLC

16th Feb 12 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

John is sort of correct.. Quartz movements are far more accurate than even the most meticulously maintained mechanical movement cheap watches will have a Quartz movement so the theory would be an expensive watch with a Mechanical movement (not all are mechanical though) would probably be no where near as accurate as the £5 Quartz watch
John

16th Feb 12 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
What gets me is when people buy fuck ugly watches and try to impress everyone by saying it cost a fortune.

Imo, that grand carrera is ugly as hell, but if you like it fair play.
I'm happy with my £50 Lorus which is currently up to 8 years old and will likely do tons more.

Build quality is a bit of a crappy argument really, once you get beyond silly cheap theres really not a lot to go wrong.

It's not to do with going wrong, I've got a 65+ year old watch, it probably didn't cost much and it's still working fine.

Same reason you buy an iPhone or an macbook when an HTC or Dell will do the job better for cheaper.
Ben J

16th Feb 12 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The more expensive your watch, the smaller your cock imo.
3CorsaMeal

16th Feb 12 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my boggle is things like this:

dunno how much it costs, but could get a £50 watch that looks like that.

I see the price worthwhile for a watch made of nice metals and decent strap.

But you see expensive watches with plastic and leather and know the person was more interested in the brand

IMO
James

16th Feb 12 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one in that pic looks like it was won out of one of those grabber machines at the arcades

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Watches 22 database queries in 0.1872668 seconds