corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » New Corsa C Modifications?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Corsa C Modifications?
greg0r

User status: Offline
23rd Apr 03 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi ya, first post, just a quick question. I have a new Corsa SXi and i was wandering what i can and cant touch on the car because of the warrenty. I understand that i can do anything to the engine, but does this include the exaust? (I.e. back box etc?) also what about changing alloys etc? and one last thing, if i am allowed to change parts, do they HAVE to be Vauxhall fitted? I.e. do they have to be made my Vauxhall so that they are covered by the warrenty.

thanks chaps

kind regards,

greg
dannycorsa c

23rd Apr 03 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i put a back box k & n lowered and different wheels on mine and mines had loads ov warrenty work done even a new engine in it!!
greg0r

23rd Apr 03 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so if i were to change the back box and say put some different wheels on they woudlnt have too much of a problem?

even though its on the three year buy back scheme?

thanks for yer help

greg
greg0r

23rd Apr 03 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

urrrm, with lowering, seen as the car is virtually brand new (03 plate) how would i go about doing this? can i jsut replace the springs or do i need to do the whole lot? shocks n all? only about 35mm

sorry im a total newbie to this :/

Greg
ChazSXi

23rd Apr 03 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with it bein so new i would say all u need is springs..but go for som quality 1s ..Not sure how this would affect ur warrenty though?! Go for spax ssx as they do 35mm i fink?
kev_corsa

23rd Apr 03 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

back boxes do void the warranty on the whole engine, so be warned. I only know cuz i rang vauxhall the other day about it. I also asked them about suspension and they said that if u replace any part of the suspension system with non-standard products, the warranty on the whole system becomes void.
jrsteeve

23rd Apr 03 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simple answer, keep all the original parts that you take off, so any probs just have em put back on b4 u got back to Vauxhall.

Done
greg0r

23rd Apr 03 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm

thats an idea. we'll have to see. i'll just keep all the old bits

thanks

Greg
Munchie

23rd Apr 03 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont change anything yet lad.....oh and get it lowered 40mm and use apex or blisten springs....
Mikeboy

2nd May 03 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

back boxes do void the warranty on the whole engine, so be warned. I only know cuz i rang vauxhall the other day about it

Strange.

I phoned up Vauxhall, and the bloke just said if you were to replace something with a non-vauxhall part that it would only void the warranty on that part.

And that includes the backbox - only voiding the warranty on that particular part.

Strange @ conflicting info from Vauxhall

Red SXi has just got a brand new Corsa - and he's put a Sebring back box on it. He has relations who work at vauxhall or something like that, so he is 'in the know', and I doubt he'd have done anything that would void the whole engine's warranty
kev_corsa

3rd May 03 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmm maybe, i was just sayin wot they told me mind, cuz what happens if uve got a dodgy back box which doesnt allow the exhaust gases to pass through or sumthin and it fuks ur engine up?

i dont think vauxhall will say its down to fault workmanship of their parts
ELZ_Sri

3rd May 03 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just picked up a new 1.8 SRi and the dealers have fitted my reiger rear skirt(as well as VX side sills & front lip spoiler) and a remus twin-pipe back box(no charge at all for fitting the back box). They even let me use their 4-point lift to swap the wheels over. My dad has been dealing with them for years and the salesman is a close mate.
Pete

3rd May 03 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok.............

In the event of a warranty claim, Vauxhall cannot say a part isn't covered as a part close to that was replaced. They have to prove that this part was at fault.

If you fit quality (preferably TUV) approved products on your car, Vauxhall will not have a leg to stand on if they try it on.

Most dealers will obviously say you can't touch the car without affecting the warranty, as it's easier for them to take this line than any other.
Pete

3rd May 03 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Our Vivaro went into the dealer due to a problem where the fuel line got pulled out of the tank when I hit a puddle at 50mph........ the van has got a Lexmaul diesel tuning module fitted along with a silly big Powerflow exhaust and they said nothing.....
Red_SXi

3rd May 03 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh, whenever i've taken my car in for warranty work with exhaust and bigger wheels, new headunit (cut wires) amp and sub they didn't give 2 shits, in fact when i got my car back they had been listening to some tunes on my system, very cheeky.
dannycorsa c

3rd May 03 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get springs and get ur vaux garage to put them on thats what i did so that they no whats goin on with the car. get good springs u shouldnt have a prob e.g eibach £125 30-40mm drop
Red_SXi

3rd May 03 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much labour did vaux charge to fit ur springs danny?
Red_SXi

4th May 03 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bump
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

4th May 03 at 10:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

problem danny is that vaux will charge the earth for fitting, where I live its approx £50 odd per hour labour. if you are worried about the parts being void, ring your local vauxhall a few times, prove your point etc and when you get the answer you want, ask to get it in writing on headed company paper and sent to you in the post , cheers pete for the info makes perfect sence
Red_SXi

4th May 03 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wonder how many hours labour they want for fitting new springs?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

4th May 03 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Munchie

4th May 03 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pete any pics of da vivaro? sounds boss!
Carlos_UK

5th May 03 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, with the warranty thing, what I've been told by ringing Vauxhall and asking my Dad who works for Vauxhall, once you introduce a "non standard" component to a system, that will/can void the warranty on the car, so say with the question of the exhaust, that is a component of the engine which is expensive if it goes wrong, so if for example your ECU went tits up, they cost about £800 so of course they're gonna blame your mods and make you pay for it!!!

I personally wouldn't risk it, i wanted to install an amp on mine, but I got told that cos it involves running a wire direct from the battery, it could void the warranty on the electrical system!

But if u do wanna risk it, as said previously, keep all the bits you took off, so that if problems do occur, you can make it look like you haven't touched it!!!!
Pete

5th May 03 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carlos_UK
Ok, with the warranty thing, what I've been told by ringing Vauxhall and asking my Dad who works for Vauxhall, once you introduce a "non standard" component to a system, that will/can void the warranty on the car, so say with the question of the exhaust, that is a component of the engine which is expensive if it goes wrong, so if for example your ECU went tits up, they cost about £800 so of course they're gonna blame your mods and make you pay for it!!!

I personally wouldn't risk it, i wanted to install an amp on mine, but I got told that cos it involves running a wire direct from the battery, it could void the warranty on the electrical system!

But if u do wanna risk it, as said previously, keep all the bits you took off, so that if problems do occur, you can make it look like you haven't touched it!!!!

An aftermarket exhaust cannot fuck up the ECU. Most dealers aren't stupid. Internal engine mods are the one thing to avoid under warranty, exhausts, air filters, suspension, wheels etc. aren't really a problem. We've got various vehicles still under warranty - Astra Turbo, Veccy, Vivaro - all with mods and all of which have had problems fixed by 2 different dealers with no quibbles.

Just make sure all parts are fitted well and can't realistically cause problems to any other components and you'll be fine.

Munchie - no pics of the van yet - we've just bought some alloys for her, and the graphics will be going on soon. Lexmaul have also just brought out a front lip spoiler and FK make some springs so it should look a bit different over the next few weeks.....
Carlos_UK

5th May 03 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pete
quote:
Originally posted by Carlos_UK

An aftermarket exhaust cannot fuck up the ECU. Most dealers aren't stupid. Internal engine mods are the one thing to avoid under warranty, exhausts, air filters, suspension, wheels etc. aren't really a problem. We've got various vehicles still under warranty - Astra Turbo, Veccy, Vivaro - all with mods and all of which have had problems fixed by 2 different dealers with no quibbles.

Just make sure all parts are fitted well and can't realistically cause problems to any other components and you'll be fine.

I'm not saying that an exhaust mod could knacker the ECU, I was just using the ECU as an example of how expensive it can be if you void your warranty, and I agree that genrally mods don't cause probs, i'm just saying that the official line from Vauxhall is don't do it, one day they may decide to clamp down on us, and thats why i said to be carefull!!!!!

New Poll