corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » car allowance with job - £5000 per year

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author car allowance with job - £5000 per year
M2RTY

User status: Offline
19th Jan 12 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking for a new job, never had the option of a compnay car, one i just applied for states 5k a year car allowance. Any ideas on the type of cars this would cover? Totally in the dark on this one! Cheers
pow
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just means you'll get 5k towards a car IIRC.
M2RTY

19th Jan 12 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh so it could be a company car or 5k in lieu
richc

19th Jan 12 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anything you want. They will literally give you 416 a month (see what i did there ) and you put it towards the cost of the car you will use for your business miles. They will then give you a price per mile for fuel on top.

There might be some contraints though like the car must be under 5 years old and so many miles to start off with as they deem it the newer it is, the more reliable it will be and not cost them any down time by you not being where you are suppose to be.

A friend use to do this on his astra vxr. He had a seat ibiza tdi on company car scheme and handed it back and took the 400 cash to use his vxr (at the time was a second car). Obviously he used more fuel, but the 400 paid for the loan he took out to buy the thing.

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by richc]
AK

19th Jan 12 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you get 5k in your salary over the year, so £417 a month extra
adiohead

19th Jan 12 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now you can afford an Evo
M2RTY

19th Jan 12 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah ok, thats better then i thought, will have to look into it more if i get an interview etc. Odd as i dont think they job would require any business miles and its only a few miles from home
James

19th Jan 12 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't it usually the case that you get a certain amount in cash or a certain amount towards a car? They rarely match, i.e. Either £5k towards a car or £3k in cash....
RichR
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car allowance is also for the runnign of the car remmeber. Also, there tends to be strict criteria as to the car you can own. The guys I know on car allowance schemes can have a car no older than 5 years, must be 4/5 door (either estate or saloon, no hatchbacks), some have engine size restrictions and some have car brand restrictions too.
M2RTY

19th Jan 12 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sod that, none of my cars will fall into that cat lol
Adam_B

19th Jan 12 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the company though, my dad got himself a 1.8 Astra Convertible on an allowance scheme.
3CorsaMeal

19th Jan 12 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never really understood jobs with a car, surely people can get themselves to work in a car.

i'd 100% take the money over a company car
RichR
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dad's company have the following restrictions for people on his Allowance schemes
- No older than 6 years
- Estate or Saloon
- Jaguar, Ford, Volvo, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Honda
- Must have leather interiors
- Max. Engine size 2.5
- Must be Diesel
- No bright colours (Red, yellow, green etc)
Ben G

19th Jan 12 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

leather interiors? the fuck?
Adam_B

19th Jan 12 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

random
Gary
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

Less change of staining maybe?
whitter45

19th Jan 12 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you are allowed to opt out you get 416 Before tax to spend on a car

seems good to consider the following when opting out

Company will require business use insurance so insurance will increase. if you opt in company insure you and also anyone you wish to nominate as a named driver

The nature you need a car would suggest more mileage so think about servicing, tyres etc unless you get a fully maintained lease plan. again opt in (company car) all servicing etc is paid for

Your company enforce certain rules for your purchase car as Live Lee indicates - this applies to both opt in and opt out cars - the reason normnally surrounds asset tax they can recover for lower emission cars - so if the overall fleet is low in emission they pay less tax in asset tax

Most firms are now moving to an opt out scheme where you are given cash but you still purchase a car through a provider of their choice - happen to our opt out guys

I currently opt in for reasons above but have to pay BIK tax for the car

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by whitter45]
whitter45

19th Jan 12 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will also find that on the car list lease the likes of Audi BMW, MERC Vag etc are cheaper compared to Fords etc due to residuals

I know a Mondeo was far more expensive than the BMW I opted for in terms of a monthly lease cost

Also when if you opt out and get a l;ease consider mileage penalities

I very much doubt a position with few business miles will offer a car unless you are at a certain level in which its deemed part of your package rather than a requirement to do your job

Liam-Wilko

19th Jan 12 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

company car ext all depends if usualy gose on ya pay as a company benafit as you tax allouance is reduced for anything like car/van fuel ext ext so you may get a car but if u get 5k car tu will see your tax code go from 747l to 247l witch means you get taxed on more
RichR
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

They're used to take clients/customers/assosciates out or pick up from airports/drive through Europe. I guess its about setting an impression. The guys who get company cars do a minimum of 20,000 business miles per year and a lot of that time is spent with people in the car - the colours issue is the same issue, no garish colours
VegasPhil
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We can have anything on car allowance.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Fro

19th Jan 12 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
quote:

They're used to take clients/customers/assosciates out or pick up from airports/drive through Europe. I guess its about setting an impression. The guys who get company cars do a minimum of 20,000 business miles per year and a lot of that time is spent with people in the car - the colours issue is the same issue, no garish colours

Better resale value in the end aswell.
Mieran

19th Jan 12 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One thing to remember is car benefit will also effect your personal allowance

For example everyone gets 7475 during 11/12 tax year so if you go for the car benefit your new code will be 2475
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
you will also find that on the car list lease the likes of Audi BMW, MERC Vag etc are cheaper compared to Fords etc due to residuals

I know a Mondeo was far more expensive than the BMW I opted for in terms of a monthly lease cost

I very much doubt a position with few business miles will offer a car unless you are at a certain level in which its deemed part of your package rather than a requirement to do your job

Also down to the discount percentage at the dealers. Currently renewing our terms and BMW is 21% discount on list price.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
whitter45

19th Jan 12 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa
quote:
Originally posted by whitter45

Also down to the discount percentage at the dealers. Currently renewing our terms and BMW is 21% discount on list price.

yeah thats very true TBF

I remember the guy telling me ordering my car that a 27k 320i was being bought by our lease company for 20k

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » car allowance with job - £5000 per year 23 database queries in 0.0150762 seconds