corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How to run an engine in.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How to run an engine in.
Generation

User status: Offline
15th Jan 12 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heard mix responses, after a full rebuilt.

From driving very easy for hundreds of miles
And giving it death from the start.

Opinions?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
15th Jan 12 at 15:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure that debate has ever been settled.

If you're going for option 2 make sure its warm first.
--ToM--

15th Jan 12 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i gave my fully rebuilt let death from the start and it was smoking like fuck after 300 miles and needed rings and valve seals so id go for number one ha ha
R Lee

15th Jan 12 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drive it as usual after warming up.
You're hardly going to be hammering it at every opportunity anyway so, the argument is redundant.
Ben G

15th Jan 12 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always given my cars death when i've bought them from brand new, seemed to free up more bhp.

when my corsa had a top end rebuild, i gave it death and it was fine.
BarnshaW

15th Jan 12 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally run mine on mineral oil for 500 miles, rev upto 3k and lots of over run, then onto fully synthetic and gradually introduce more revs per couple hundred miles.

worked a treat and uses no oil or water whatsoever, some people just run it in on rollers though and full beans after 25 miles
--ToM--

15th Jan 12 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
personally run mine on mineral oil for 500 miles, rev upto 3k and lots of over run, then onto fully synthetic and gradually introduce more revs per couple hundred miles.

worked a treat and uses no oil or water whatsoever, some people just run it in on rollers though and full beans after 25 miles

cant think who thats aimed at lol ....
JordyCarter

15th Jan 12 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id go gentle at first no point in hammering it imo
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

15th Jan 12 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did 500 miles in mine under 3.5k then did an oil change and filter then started giving it a bit more over the next 500, hasn't let me down so far

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Corsa_Sport21

15th Jan 12 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never had to run an engine in, but i recon if i ever needed to, i would just drive it like normal and open it up now and again. Would still stick to the recommended oil changes and stuff though.

Moto-cross bikes get run in by giving them death from the start.
Jambo

15th Jan 12 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

19 pages by Wednesday.
sc0ott

15th Jan 12 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive also heard driving cars hard from day 1 frees up more bhp.
gazza808

15th Jan 12 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just don't sit at constant speeds.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Jan 12 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2nd option isn't just a case of hammering it its a case of harder driving under a methodical pattern, ideally on a rolling road and.definitely when warmed up
shaunmods
Premium Member

15th Jan 12 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was ran in on cheapo mineral oil for around 500 miles under 3k ish. Made sure I didnt labour the engine etc and did lots of mixed driving. Then oil and filter change onto semi-synthetic oil and given the full beans after. Rings bedded in fine
Nic Barnes

15th Jan 12 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I did about 100 miles of varied amounts of throttle. Didn't run it in much really.
Paul W
Premium Member

15th Jan 12 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lee303 over on mig has a pretty good description of how he ran his xe1 nova in by heavy loading. It wasn't just 'giving it death' so to speak. Here's what he posted he did.

quote:
bedding in procedure that i will be doing tomorrow is as follows
fill engine with running in oil or very cheap mineral oil, start engine and do cam running in which is hold engine at
2000 rpm for one minute
1500 rpm for one minute
3000 rpm for one minute
2000 rpm for one minute

then then engine should be pretty warmed up as well, so its a perfect time to bed the rings
drive car onto the road, select third and floor the throttle as low in the rev range as the engine will allow, and keep it pinned till about 3/4 of the rev range, then snap the throttle shut and let the engine coast right down, repeat process 12 - 15 times, keeping an eye on temps obviously
theory behind the process is that as you matt the throttle the cylinder pressures increase massively forcing the rings out against the bore walls, then when you snap the throttle shut you cause a vaucuum in the chambers which draws oil up the bores to prevent glazing

once this is completed, change the oil and filter to some vaux semi or similar, and run the engine for 500 miles or so driving pretty normally up to around 3/4 of the rev range and 3/4 throttle, varying the load on the engine as much as possible

after that., flush and change the oil and filter and swap to whatever you intend to run the engine on, and your done

whether it actually makes a difference i don't know, the theory behind seems sound enough though.

Rio Verde Bagged More Door Project
Generation

15th Jan 12 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all the replies

Seems I'm back where I started lol
AK

15th Jan 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

me running in the current impreza engine

Lower rev limit (6500 rather than 8500) and sensible boost of 1.4 bar or something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mapTAUfs6H8

bigron1988

15th Jan 12 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W
lee303 over on mig has a pretty good description of how he ran his xe1 nova in by heavy loading. It wasn't just 'giving it death' so to speak. Here's what he posted he did.

quote:
bedding in procedure that i will be doing tomorrow is as follows
fill engine with running in oil or very cheap mineral oil, start engine and do cam running in which is hold engine at
2000 rpm for one minute
1500 rpm for one minute
3000 rpm for one minute
2000 rpm for one minute

then then engine should be pretty warmed up as well, so its a perfect time to bed the rings
drive car onto the road, select third and floor the throttle as low in the rev range as the engine will allow, and keep it pinned till about 3/4 of the rev range, then snap the throttle shut and let the engine coast right down, repeat process 12 - 15 times, keeping an eye on temps obviously
theory behind the process is that as you matt the throttle the cylinder pressures increase massively forcing the rings out against the bore walls, then when you snap the throttle shut you cause a vaucuum in the chambers which draws oil up the bores to prevent glazing

once this is completed, change the oil and filter to some vaux semi or similar, and run the engine for 500 miles or so driving pretty normally up to around 3/4 of the rev range and 3/4 throttle, varying the load on the engine as much as possible

after that., flush and change the oil and filter and swap to whatever you intend to run the engine on, and your done

whether it actually makes a difference i don't know, the theory behind seems sound enough though.

that i did and what ill be doing again
richc

15th Jan 12 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That thing paul W put up is best in my opinion.

Only brand new engine i have done is one a motorbike. I took it steady for the first 4 miles let it get up to temp then gradually wound the power on and alot of coasting aswell. Gave it a few full throttle loads but not on the limiter of anything.

Changed the oil after 25 miles and it was r full of iron fillings. After that just drove normal keeping flow with traffic and abit of hard acceleration and it was fine.
Crana

15th Jan 12 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Old bloke once told me when running a 2stroke engine in too give it death but cars work abit different if you have just spent all that money follow the guide Paul put up
tom130691
Premium Member

15th Jan 12 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

warm it up then long drives once its warm it wont matter too much,

if youve done something wrong easy run in may mean less damage,

race engines are rarely run in
FAZ
Premium Member

15th Jan 12 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do a burnout
LeeM

15th Jan 12 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Crana
Old bloke once told me when running a 2stroke engine in too give it death but cars work abit different if you have just spent all that money follow the guide Paul put up

2 strokes egg the piston/s if you give it death from the start

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How to run an engine in. 23 database queries in 0.1021671 seconds